Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Here are a few apps I dig, and thought I could share...

USB Disk - There's a free version and a great paid version with many perks. It's a great way to store documents/pictures/etc. in one place for easy access and review. I usually keep a few handy things on it, like various references and directions on my work phone, or some articles to read on my personal phone.

iconclock - A free clock app that looks like the classic Apple clock. It's neat and free.

Genius Scan - Scan and turn pictures into PDF documents (or JPGs). Free and paid versions.

White Noise - Best White Noise app I've found, and you can get additional paid/free noises. IT HAS FROGS, FROGS!

PaperKarma - Take a picture of your junk mail, submit it, and you'll never get that crap in the mail again. Free.

Red fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I have an app on my iPad that I wanted to put on my new iPhone but apparently it was pulled from the app store and isn't coming back. Is there a way to move the app from my iPad to my iPhone?

Are you sure it's an app that's not iPad only?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Here are a few more apps you might like:

Lego Instructions - A free app with a ton of Lego instructions. Some are official, and some are fan-made. Definitely a neat app for Adult Fans of Lego, or people who want to keep their kids busy.

Grocery IQ - A free app that lets you make a grocery list by scanning an item's barcode. You can also store loyalty cards, use voice command (which I haven't personally experimented with), and so on. Give yourself a little time to learn the program, and it's extremely useful.

RunPee.com - So the movie is ending, but you're not sure if you want to leave the theater, because this might be one of those loving movies with scenes after the credits. RunPee is an app that lets you know if there are indeed post-credits scenes. Of course, the meat of the app is letting you know when you can take a bathroom break, and not miss too much, but I've found that the post-credits info is a huge plus. The app was formerly free, but is now 99 cents. I'd imagine this will be free at some point in the future.

PocketArnold - Amuse yourself and annoy those around you with a free soundboard app featuring all of Arnold Schwarzenegger's best quotes.

Diptic - The best app for creating photo collages at 99 cents. It's ideal for Instagram users (if you kept your account during the hub-bub), and provides a lot of effects and options.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

xzzy posted:

But how do you use that app in a dark room where they warn you a half dozen times before the movie starts to shut off your drat phone?

If you know you have a small bladder, check it out ahead of time. A friend of mine is the type of guy who ALWAYS takes a piss break during the movie, and he does his homework when we sit down before the movie, in line, or whenever.

I pull out the app every time the credits come up, and I can see it just fine. Plus, everybody else is standing up and leaving anyway.

Edit: And yes, the screen for the app is black, so it doesn't create a big glare.

And: I think supporting the app for 99 cents is well worth it.

Red fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 19, 2012

Red
Apr 15, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is there a good app for loyalty cards/membership cards? One that scans the code so I can just scan my phone (reliably).

I haven't seen a response to this post, so I'll recommend CardStar. Good app that does what you ask, and it's free.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Red posted:

Here are a few apps I dig, and thought I could share...

USB Disk - There's a free version and a great paid version with many perks. It's a great way to store documents/pictures/etc. in one place for easy access and review. I usually keep a few handy things on it, like various references and directions on my work phone, or some articles to read on my personal phone.

USB Disk Pro - ATTENTION! This app is currently on sale for 99 cents! If you were on the fence about this app, now's the time to buy. It was $2.99.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Just wanted to say I got an email from Paper Karma, which sends you a record of your past submissions, and whether or not they were successful (which they were!). This thing is AWESOME.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Just in case you've forgotten about it: Yes, PaperKarma is awesome.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Thanks! I've never seen this before but it looks like it could be great.

As long as you remember to tag your junk mail when you come home, it works like a charm.

Just remember to use the app before you throw stuff away.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bort posted:

I just came here to post this. I've been using it for a couple of months and my mailbox is nearly always empty now. loving impressive.

I still wonder how they make money.

e: it got me off my college's alumni money beggingmailing list

The best part is, PaperKarma emails you updates of whether or not they were successful (yet) in stopping the junk mail.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Bucket Joneses posted:

Question about PaperKarma:

If I get unsolicited mail from my insurance provider (USAA) and I process it through PaperKarma, will it also keep me from getting mail I actually want from them?

I'd be nervous about doing so, though I can't imagine USAA would decide "Okay, he doesn't want bills or proof-of-insurance cards? Fine!".

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Day of the Shirt

Are you a fan of those websites that offer a different cheap t-shirt every day? This app lets you see the daily lineup of shirts, without having to visit each site. Pretty nifty if you're into that sort of thing.

There used to be DailyTees, but that app looks to be non-working at the moment. This app's interface is much cleaner anyway, and, this app has more sites listed.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Splitwise - Free

Need an easy way to track and split bills? Splitwise will do it for you. Add your roommate, dad, co-worker, neighbor, wife, whoever, and you can stop and settle up at any time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DarkJC posted:

I liked the look of that app but when I tried to use it it seemed like I had to add a user tied to their email address, and that it would email them to invite them to join or something. There was no way to just add someone without tying it to a contact.

Am I mistaken about it emailing the people you add? I just wanted to keep track of things for myself and not spam my friends / family about it.

It appears you have to have an email address to include people in your bill splitting, however:

- I've never received a single email after the sign-up.
- You can use a secondary email address that you don't often use.
- You can turn off receiving emails.
- I think they prefer to have a contact listed because of the program's idea of "fairness".

Also, note that when at home, you can also use the site - splitwise.com.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Piictu posted:

Piictu is joining Kandu (a Betaworks company)!

We’re excited to announce that Piictu is joining forces with Kandu - “a Betaworks company” that shares our vision and ideals of how technology is a catalyst for a better and richer world. Together we will continue to build and bring users great products and experiences for a brighter future.

Unfortunately, this news doesn't come without hardship. At the end of May, the Piictu app will no longer be available. The important thing: You will not lose any of your photos and we trust you will reconnect with all your piictu-friends on other networks like tumblr, kik, twitter and instagram - some of our fave.

Over the past two years we’ve had the opportunity of supporting and sharing unique moments of our lives in pictures. Piictu was built on the idea that “the change in use of photography” is opening new opportunities to communicate and interact as humans. We’ve seen this stand true and flourish not only on piictu, but on other networks as well.

On Friday May 31st, the app will no longer be available. You’ll be able to download your photos until Friday June 7th by following the instructions on our blog.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

smackfu posted:

That code hookup app is sweet... and a little creepy. How does it know I claimed one of the codes on my phone when I'm on my laptop now??

Is there an app that publishes available codes for the free apps/songs you'd get at Starbucks, but for when you don't go to Starbucks/they're all out of the freebies?

Or shares codes given away by people?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JHVH-1 posted:

The newer 1password app went half price. Has anyone been using it that had the older one? The interface looks a lot more like the Mac app which is nice, but on the fence about buying it.

Zetetic Strip is a great password manager app, and worth every penny: http://appshopper.com/productivity/strip. Much cheaper than 1password, if all you need is a password book.

It occasionally goes on sale/free, too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

What's a good app for cataloging collections?

Example: I own a decent amount of DVDs and Blu-Rays, and would like to be able to pull up a list on my iPhone when I'm at a store, because I can't remember if I have Captain Ron on DVD or not. I'd love if I could find similar apps for vinyl records, comic books, or other goony interests.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

suboptimal posted:

Well, there's this- it's an OSX app with an iOS counterpart.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/04/25/delicious-monster-releases-delicious-library-3-with-companion-io/

My dad uses this to keep track of books he's picked up at the library, and likes it.

Eep. $25.

The scanner function is pretty awesome, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

withak posted:

I use iHandy's Alarm Clock app. It can play sounds or iTunes songs (without vibration) and can fade them in gradually. Note that, like any third-party alarm clock app, it has to actually be running to work.

iTunes says it's 99 cents, but the reviews are a little worrying. I've been screwed by faulty alarm programs before... :(

• Locked thread