Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an app useful for trip planning?

I'm going to NYC for a week in April, so want to add loads of places I want to go to, contact details for where I'm staying, transfer details etc. Anyone know of a good all-in-one that'll handle all of this for me? Integration with maps and all that would be great (and non-reliant on 3G if possible for locally stored data)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Suqit posted:

Kayak pro is good for keeping all your reservations in one place and it organizes everything by trip. You forward all your email confirmations to kayak and it all shows up in the appropriate trip in the app. I really like using it.

Understeer posted:

I like TripIt for this. It also supports scanning your inbox for reservation confirmations to automatically update the app if you're comfortable with that.

Thanks guys, I'll look those both up now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never really need the maps app, so the whole iOS 6 maps fiasco didn't bother me, so typically the much heralded Google Maps app is doing my head in : is there any damned way to sync stuff I bookmark on my browser with what I can see on the phone? I know 'Saved locations' is similar, but it's not quite what I want.

Over the next few weeks I just want to drop dozens and dozens of pins around NYC of shops/places that look interesting so when I'm out there in April I have a pretty good guide to where I need to get to. If this isn't possible in either iOS maps (I can't think of anything that could sync to) or the Google Maps app, is there an easy way to sort it? It's the most basic feature and it's frustrating as hell it's not there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks, I'll give both of those a whirl and see which will work better. Knowing my luck, they'll implement the feature the day I come back from vacation...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

japtor posted:

Haven't tested this myself since I just thought of it off the top of my head now, but for iOS I think you can drop pins and save locations as contacts, which would sync over iCloud (if you have contact syncing turned on). From the computer side I think you could enter in addresses (and coordinates?) into the iCloud contacts web interface.

Dang, doesn't seem to quite do what I want it to... if I drop pins or add addresses to the contact book it'll take me to the point on the map, but it won't show me my saved places if I'm just browsing (essentially I want to walk down a street, hit Maps on the phone and see all my pins for stuff around me that I've looked up in advance). The built in Yelp and business listings in Apple Maps seem decent at least, but it's going to cover everything in the area.

At the moment I can see me just using my laptop in the morning when we plan which neighbourhoods we're hitting, and making a list of what's where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

japtor posted:

Hrm, I wonder if there's an app that'll just show a group of contacts. It'd be like a friend map without actually tracking anyone I guess.

Edit: searched for "friend map" and "contacts map", downloading these right now to test them out:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ab-contact-map/id388624444?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/map-my-contact/id536473080?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contact-gps/id445161827?mt=8

Might be a few more too but I don't feel like trying a bunch more I don't need :v:

Quick impressions: second seems like the best, first didn't seem to work, and third seems to work but is clunkier.

Awesome, I gave the second one a shot out of instinct before your edit and it does seem to do what I want. There's a few improvements it could do with, but I'm not fussy - it looks like it'll be really useful. Now to speed add tons of places into my contact list! Cheers

• Locked thread