Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Don't worry about gym grades. They are all arbitrary. Although I don't like rock n jam I do like that they grade bouldering easy (V0 - V2), medium (V2 - V5), hard (V5 - V8), expert (V8 - V??). Because really who cares, problems change once a month in the gym.

Just go try them and have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kefit posted:

I lightly sprained my left ankle the day after my first climbing class (and I wasn't even climbing at the time). It kept me off the wall for a week and a half, and really I probably should have kept away for a full two weeks. But I almost lost my motivation to keep going with this climbing thing so I forced myself back to the gym when my foot was still a bit tender. Luckily I managed not to re-injure myself! I've been back a couple of times since then and am back to having a blast.

But the loving flappers just keep on coming. I've had two more this week despite judicious use of ClimbOn, ugh.

I would guess you are gripping way too hard.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Any Colorado folks want to get out this weekend?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think slab is super fun. I have never had a bad fall either. Maybe a scrapped knee.

I think it is interesting to have to balance and smear like crazy. It is a fun difference to the climbing game.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

gamera009 posted:

Any of the Boulder goons that actually climb rocks have plans this fall? :v:

Probably going to be looking at a trip to Empire/Ra if it's clear this fall. Probably got room for another set or a middle.

Also, going to be forced to choose a gym for the winter. Sucks that all the Boulder gyms raised rates or are losing all of the good staff. Last thing I want is a gym rep watching some reckless rear end in a top hat climb dangerously, dyno into some other climber, then play it off as "that thing that guy does."

I will be down for some climbing after the 25th (sorry I have been MIA, would like to pass the PE... We will see) and before the ski season really gets going.

I will probably take the winter off because I hate spending money on the gym... I would be down for a few week night meet ups at people's gym of choice in boulder.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Muir valley has a bunch of good stuff. I liked boneyard (one armed bandit at 5.9 was good). Bruise brothers had a bunch of good ones too (send me on my way also at 5.9).

Both have a good amount of 10s and 11s.

There is a ton of climbing down there though. Go hog wild.

Also don't forget your stick clip... Lol. They just love stick clipping at the red.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think 32 would be tough if you have any kind of debt. Rent is pretty high (too drat high...?) in Denver and golden is pretty expensive as well.

It is a cool place to live though.

Glad you liked the red. That whole place is sweet!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My goal is more multi pitch. Maybe even go the gym a few times in the winter. Also want to send 2 boulder problems that I didn't finish the few times I tried them (a v1 and v3).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IF you plan on continuing to climb buy your own stuff. Plus it will motivate you to go outside and climb.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

gamera009 posted:

Finally managed my first 5.12 on lead. Indoors, but this felt much much harder than anything I'd ever done outside, so I'll buy it. Absolutely wiped after the effort.

Way to go dude!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Either you suck, not reading the routes right, or the setters are terrible (which is super possible, lots of good climbers think they can set routes and set everything super hard or super confusing thinking it is easy).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Start climbing outside now. It is way more fun and usually free. Even if you struggle no big deal.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mountain project has many many routes. Wiki climbing grades has a comparison chart.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Grades are stupid in gyms, stop looking at them. Climb outside at well graded areas to figure that stuff out. In the gym just climb and have fun.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The best thing I did when I had a 45 min one way drive to the gym is setup a little 8x8' rock wall in the garage. Wood, t-nuts, and holds ran about $125. Then just setup 3 or 4 short problems that work the hands/fingers while allowing you to take the weight on your feet as well.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Speleothing posted:

I guess I should go ahead and let the denver/boulder climbing goons know that I've got a pass for the new gym in Golden and live about 3 blocks away from it. So if you ever need a partner there, let me know.

Is it any good and why is it so expensive... $19 a day, $89 for a month, $887 for a year ($69 a month plus $59 one time). Just absurd.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Start leading now. But if your gym only sets 10 and up for lead you will probably be top roping for a while longer. So lead outside instead. Top rope is no fun.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

4 years and I have never been hurt climbing. I only boulder up to V3 outside and lead around 10.C. I usually take the winter off and slowly get back into it in the summer.

Also I obviously just jinxed the hell out of myself.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is most likely not from the rope running but from webbing or cord. If you setup on sandstone like that make sure the anchor is over the edge and bring a small piece of carpet to put under the webbing or cord where it touches the rock.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Manstrocity posted:

I guess it might be really soft rock, but I didn't think it would really wear like that if the master point were below the edge. Seems more likely to be from running rope over it. Either way.

It is possible but that is what the local crag in Michigan that is sandstone looks like and it is all from not having carpet under the webbing or cord.

Also don't run the rope on the rock obviously.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 21, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

gamera009 posted:

Hey Boston climbing goons!

I'm going to be in town (in Billerica) for business and would love to do some bouldering Wednesday night. If anyone of you are game to meet up at a gym, or grab a beer let me know. Just shoot a PM over. I should be able to respond by the early afternoon.

Alternatively when do you get back in town? Saturday is supposed to be sunny and 81 so climbing outside would be nice... :)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

gamera009 posted:

Haha as soon as I get in town I am off to shelf road. :v:

Which is Friday afternoon.

Nice, enjoy that man. Still need to get down there at some point.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Prana Zion pants and shorts. The pants are awesome. Shorts are great when it is 95 out.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Where do you live? Someone on here might be close by and willing to show you the ropes again.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Save me jeebus posted:

Amerigoons! I am a west coast rear end in a top hat traveling to memphis this summer. I know there isn't poo poo to climb in memphis, but I may be taking a side trip to Gatlinburg and Chattanooga. Are there any not to be missed sport routes?

Just keep driving to red river gorge in Kentucky. More sport routes then you can list that are worth climbing.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

gamera009 posted:

Welp.

Torn rotator cuff.

gently caress my life.

Dude.... No.....

Are you for sure? I did that back in college, it sucks. Are you getting surgery?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Watching the IFC building works cup in Vail right now. These problems are crazy.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Double post

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 7, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nifty posted:

ISFC bouldering world cup

How did you manage so many typos in these short words!

Phone posting in the beating sun... :)

I think they are streaming it live, finals in 4 hours.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It was in Vail Colorado at the go pro mountain games. The finals were pretty crazy. The girl from Japan was out of control, just crushing everything. Pretty awesome to watch live.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I climb for fun, woo. Which means it is summer and I need to get my rear end climbing. Denver people let's go climb some stuff.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Cool show motion video from last weekend.

http://lt11.com/slow-moments-bouldering-world-cup/

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Went climbing for the first time since February. Lots of fun, my toes are sore.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

guppy posted:

It's on the to-do list. Some friends invited me to the Red earlier this year but I couldn't go.

Not a good decision. The red is so cool.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dutymode posted:

I'll be in Denver this weekend, any suggestions for bouldering gyms?

Outside perhaps? If it has to be a gym then go to the Spot in Boulder.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

gamera009 posted:

I am sure there are several denver/boulder goons willing to meet up to climb. Just let people know. :haw:

I should be out somewhere this weekend one or both days.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Will be climbing at little Eiger in the morning if anyone wants to join us from the Denver area.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

Will be climbing at little Eiger in the morning if anyone wants to join us from the Denver area.

No pictures but we had fun. Climbed 2-9's and a 10a. Starting to feel my strength come back which is nice after a winter off.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just got back from climbing lovers leap. Super nice 5.9 slab climbing. Nice and secluded due to the 40 min hike in. At the top of one route a lady at the top of the cliff asked if I knew what I was doing....I said of course. Well worth the trip out (no road noise!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Got out to east Colfax yesterday. It was a pretty cool time. If you have lead climbers looking to start check it out since there are 5.4-5.9 a plenty. One super fun 5.9 there as well.