Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Went climbing for the first time in 10 years in December and absolutely loved it; scheduling problems with my friend have prevented us from going again, but Christmas was good to me this year:

I picked up the shoes myself, and my parents got me a climbing kit that was good but didn't fit, so I took it back for the Edelrid harness and Black Diamond carabiner and ATC. A local store offers free chalk refills for life if you buy their brand of chalk bag so I'm picking that up soon too. Next on my list is learning how to belay; I learned how to in HS but it's been almost 10 years now; not that it seems difficult, I just need to make sure I know how to do it properly. I've only cleared 5.7 walls so far, but I really think the sport suits me; it feels like a physical puzzle which I think is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty new to climbing, and just got belay certified at my local climbing gym last week. My first time climbing with a group went well, but I managed to give myself pretty bad rope burns on the skin between my thumb and index finger from belaying; has this happened to anyone else when they were first learning or did I just really mess up? I think I was trying so hard to not lose track of the rope that I was sliding my hand up the rope every time rather than letting go. It hurts to open doors :(

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Irving posted:

Did you get that when you were belaying or lowering? When you lower, the position of the rope will provide the braking, not friction from your hand. If someone is coming down too fast, just pull the rope down and your belay device will do the rest.

It was when I was belaying. I was keeping my hand too close to the rope while bringing it back to the belay device and the constant dragging is what caused it. Lowering was totally fine. I went again yesterday and didn't have any major problems; I think it's just a practice/comfort thing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SaltLick posted:

I went on a date where not only did she manage to get her hair braid sucked into the ATC but also the skin between the thumb and index finger a little later. You're not alone. Belaying can be kinda tricky at first but it comes with practice.

Ha, well I guess it could have been worse! Yeah belaying was not a very natural motion for me so it definitely took actually doing with with a person on the other side of the rope, but it's getting easier the more I do it. Wish I could say the same about my actual skill, but I'm sure the more I go the easier it'll start to get.. got my first 5.9 under my belt!