Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
So I have been climbing for two months now and have been wondering if there was a particular weight workout that would be most beneficial for my progress. What I have been doing so far has been Starting Strength three times a week, followed by around 30 minutes of climbing; and about 1 hour of climbing on the two days between. SS is great because it fits my restrictions for weights (basically just have a lifting cage and a set of dumbbells) but I feel it is targeting muscles that are not my weak point in climbing. While back strength is obviously going to be important, I don't know if I need such a leg focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

So what are some good things to watch for to prevent injuries? My friend stressed to me the importance of paying attention to any elbow pain and to stop climbing if it starts hurting. I ask this because I have been feeling things like aching wrists the night after climbing, but I am not sure if that is a large issue.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Stangg posted:

I've found the easiest way to prevent injury is a decent warmup, and by decent I mean 30-45 minutes.

What do you tend to do with your warmup? Do you just do easier routes?

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

I have been climbing for about 3 months now and just did my first V3 a few days ago. I partially blame that on having spent weeks work on one transverse that I still can't do in one go. All the moves are relatively easy, but I just don't have the endurance yet for it.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Been having a issue for a while now when I climb. While I am fine for the majority of moves, if I ever hold myself to the wall with a arm bent to have my hand below my nipples and my chest pulled into the wall, I will feel a sharp pain shoot up across my shoulder when I release. Does anyone know what is causing this and anything I can do to fix the issue?

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

At what point do you guys get new climbing shoes? I have been using some Evolv Defy's for about a year and a half and I am unsure if I should be upgrading at this point. I do mainly V2s/V3s right now, so would a upgrade possibly help or am I being a baby about should learn to hold a foothold better on these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Unoriginal Name posted:

My completely unbiased opinion is that evolv's of all kinds smell like the devil's rear end in a top hat.

(Upgrade when you wear out the toes)

Mine are not the exception, they are pretty bad despite hand washing them. Was looking at maybe picking up some Five Ten Anasazi VCS and hoping they wont fill the truck of my car with stink.