Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

I've been reading this thread because one of my goals is to try rock climbing. It looks soooo much fun to me! I hate treadmill type exercise but really enjoy things like this.

The problem is my weight. I found the gym in my area, and on their website they don't have info about weight limits. I am currently around 270, I have a log in TFLC. I am working with a registered dietician and doing starting strength. From general information I have read online, the weight limit is typically around 250. Does this sound right? Have you guys (and ladies) seen heavy people at your rock climbing gyms? It's something I really want to do but I am afraid I will stick out like a sore thumb, even once I reach 245 or so and I am able to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

The heavier you are obviously the harder it is going to be to pull yourself up the wall, but a couple of my friends at the gym range between 200-240. It's definitely going to be harder for you than someone who is similarly un-athletic but lighter. I think you're asking about weight limits as far as safety equipment goes though, and you should be fine. The ropes, harnesses and biners are meant to take forces much more intense than a big guy putting a little tension on the rope in a top-rope "fall". Don't worry about "sticking out", everybody sucks and feels awkward about it when they start.

Are you going with somebody or alone?

Z3n posted:

There was a girl at around the 250 pound range at my gym and she climbed 5.11-12 and made it look easy. If you want to do it, go for it!

Thanks! I emailed the gym and they got back to me surprisingly fast. They said they have auto-belays rated at 350 lbs and the person who responded said they have personally belayed somebody who was 320 lbs. They said if the person belaying you is more than 75 lbs lighter they will need an anchor plate, which they do have.

My fiance would be going with me. I'll talk to him about signing up for the beginner class, which includes a month pass and equipment.