Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

It's this thing called rest. It's kind of important.

Every few months I'm like "I'll climb two days in a row!"

It never works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

TotallyUnoriginal posted:

Most people will never get to V6 :)

poo poo gets way hard super quickly

after a year of solid 3 days per week climbing I can attempt V4s pretty well. V6 is a scary number.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

Don't spend a fortune on really expensive tight shoes though, until your footwork improves you will demolish shoes. See it as an incentive to work on it. Bad footwork is expensive!

I finally retired my Nagas after 2+ years of solid climbing - I actually wore a thumbnail sized hole under my big toe on one side. Just got Muiras and holy crap I climb so much better with stiff, sticky rubber again.

First shoes do absolutely get destroyed by sloppy foot placement, I'm glad I didn't go over $100 for my first pair.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Holee poo poo two years. I consider myself a decent climber with good footwork but by shoes need resoling every 3 months. What's your secret?

My secret is being a poor college kid who didn't buy new shoes till the old ones had a hole in them. Still keep em around though actually, pretty comfy for super long bouldering sessions.

I definitely need to look into the resoling thing though, I want my new shoes to be usable for a long time yet.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

Puseklepp posted:

Well yeah, but cause it's a bit of a trip to get to the climbing gym, I'm only going in the weekends for the time being at least. So I'd like to add something into my normal gym routine that'd help my climbing as well.

Does your gym have a pullup bar? Try doing pullups but not locking your thumb around the bar, so you're just hanging from your fingers instead. You can also try doing it with fewer fingers, but be very very careful about popping tendon pulleys.

But really, there is no substitute for climbing more.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

CoasterMaster posted:

RE: Boston

I ended up going to MetroRock because it was the easiest to get to (they even had a shuttle to take me to/from the T station). It was pretty fun, but not too much bouldering to speak of. I was limited to how much I could try out since I was by myself and stuck to autobelays (I was there at about 10am on a Thursday so I had almost the entire gym to myself), but the routes I did try were really fun.

The area of Boston it's in seems pretty sketchy though :)

If you think that area is sketchy, it's a good thing you didn't go to Rock Spot in Dedham.

My parents have a Central rock gym membership, whenever I visit Boston we all climb there. Pretty cool bouldering, top roping, and enough amazing lead climbing to make me wish I could do it.

Is Earth Treks the gym to go to in Maryland? I'm moving there in June and am going to need a place to climb near the BWI area.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I've heard that in some forms of strength training it's bad to do the same activity multiple days in a row because it prevents the muscles from repairing or something and it's best to switch parts of the body over different days(I probably have no idea what I'm talking about). Does this apply to climbing? I want to climb every day but I'm curious if that will actually hinder me as opposed to helping me. I'm mostly bouldering right now if that makes a difference.

Every time I go hard back to back days I regret it. I'm pretty comfortable on an every other day schedule, I generally go 3 or 4 days a week and avoid going 2 days in a row.

If you boulder hard three days in a row as a beginner you will most likely hurt yourself. Tendon pain in your arms is incredibly painful if you try to power through it, listen to your body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

magicalmako posted:

Inflamed tendons suck.

Hey me too :( . At least it's not torn but I still have to rest it for a while.

I really thought I tore it and was freaking out. Thank god for MRIs.