Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I'll have a question regarding one thing that is becoming an issue for me lately - mainly, the smell.

I'm currently living in a communal home and don't have a place to leave it outside. I've tried putting my shoes in a freezer (while it does work for a while in regards to the smell, I don't know if it doesn't do any harm to my shoes + the damp feeling when you put them on is another thing that I can't stand), leaving them for a night in a car trunk (don't recommend it, as in the morning I was greeted with a familiar smell emanating from everything). Currently I'm just putting baggies filled with baking soda inside the shoes and that kind of deals with it, though still, the day after climbing I'm greeted with familiar smell when coming back from work. I heard something about UV bags that kill off the bacteria, but all I was able to find on Amazon was UV lamps that cost definitely too much to allow myself it.

So, what to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

My shoes are indeed Evolv - I guess I'll decide on leather when buying my next ones and am glad this is not something I'll have to battle all the time. For now cedar wood / odor eater inserts do indeed sound like a good idea (I should have thought about it :doh:) - thanks!

canis minor
May 4, 2011

YourCreation posted:

These just hit the climbing scene in the UK and they have done a marvelous job of de-stinking my shoes.

http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/boot-bananas-p-1654.html

Ordered - thank you very much!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there such a thing as like a tiny little pouch that hooks to your harness (or somewhere) that you could put things like your phone or credit cards in? Where I climb there's no safe place to put my belongings, and my chalk bag will hold like a single small item like a wedding ring but nothing else really. Just get pants with cargo pockets?

What about a sachet, if you need something more:

You can strap it around your back or waist.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

ZeroDays posted:

It's past that point though surely? I mean, they loving stink, and boot bananas are a preventative measure rather than a cure. "Not evolvs" is what I'm going for. Someone said earlier that leather is a better material, so I'll go that route.

Edit: just ordered the boot bananas too.

After the advice from this thread I must say that boot bananas pretty much taken care of the problem - the smell went from "i need to air my room" to non-existant (so, don't think it's only when your shoes are fresh and clean). I must pre-warn though, the smell of bananas is pretty intense in itself (when I received the package I could smell it through the plastic and the wrapping paper), so if you're sensitive to intense smells (I am) still keep them somewhere hidden - the smells should neutralize each other after a week or two.

Ordered from http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/, they do international shipping, though I guess 12£ is a steep price to get this thing only.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Today I've did my first 5a - so feeling pretty proud of myself :toot: Also did a 4c that I've been attempting for 2 weeks now, but that matters a little less.

(I'm still a wimp, but after a half a year of climbing I can see that I'm a little lesser of a wimp)

canis minor
May 4, 2011

At my wall (UK) you're required to get a training on how to tie rope knots, spot your partner and do assecuration of unexpected falls (basically - how to loosen the rope and where to keep your hands). They don't do anything related to free climbing - everything is padded, though I guess it's noticeable when falling down, from, I guess, 2m. Having no frame of reference I don't know what you should really be taught and when it becomes expected(?) for you to know these kind of things. Although I must say that I feel a little apprehensive when somebody is even on hands reach (I just find myself different problem), or, worse yet - reaching their hands as if to catch me if I fall (even if I fall, it's not the height that I will do something to myself; I'll try to avoid hitting you anyhow, and that's why I'll probably fall in weird way); maybe that's why people hurt themselves even when falling from small heights - it's sort of trust thing?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

If someone needs to spot you while bouldering at the gym you're at the wrong gym. The bouldering area should be padded and huge pads provided. Spotting is for pushing someone away from an outcrop onto a 3x3 pad, there's no need for that in a gym setting. One of the worst things I've seen at a comp was a guy who was a favorite to win fell backwards off the wall, and had some dumbshit spotter push his head into his knee. Concussion, bloody nose, out of the game. There was no need for it, he would have landed on that 5x7 pad completely fine otherwise. So yeah, I would nicely tell them not to do that.

Maybe I've not used the proper terms (sorry, not a native english speaker here) - spotting as, when climbing with rope - knowing when to loosen / tighten the rope; nothing about free climbing.
But when I climb without a rope (and that's what the second part of my post was about) and I do indeed see somebody afraid for me, I generally do stop and speak my mind. The same when somebody starts moving ropes around me.

Sorry for the confusion!

canis minor
May 4, 2011

As a climbing newbie (I started something over a year ago), if that helps, I can say that in the beginning I was going once a week, for the first month. Then I bought a yearly climbing pass and started doing it twice a week for next 2 months. From now then I was going 3-2 a week, with schedule of Monday, Wednesday, Friday (week 1), Tuesday, Thursday (week 2) (purely due to the fact that I've to have Fridays and weekend free), but I imagine doing it every other day is quite feasible.

YMMV though - I was in terrible shape when I started climbing, having not been doing any workout routine.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Went on a holiday for 2 weeks, came back and... done 2 5a's . I feel pretty happy with myself :)

canis minor
May 4, 2011

pokie posted:

Silly question - how do you keep your shoes from reeking? I climb at the gym almost every day and spray them with whatever the gym uses for rentals, but it's not helping much.

Recommendation from this very thread: http://www.bootbananas.com/ . Tested and very happy about them.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Yet again I turn for advice to all knowing climb thread - it seems that the skin on my fingertips decided to part ways, leaving me with newer, shinier, itchier new skin! I'm still peeling off parts and feeling in my fingers is still weird though. Now the question - is there anything I can do in the future to prevent that? While previous time I've had this happen to me with pointer fingers only, now it affected hm.. strangely enough, my non-primary hand more, with all the fingers. I've used a lot of moisturizer this week, every day and as I was able to climb, I climbed. Is it sensible? What do you do?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I've noticed for some time that I've got problems with leg reach (if that makes sense) - actually I've never been able to do the splits, but the route I've got problems with requires lifting ones leg to the height of ones chest (like, forward swing but higher). My friend recommended me yoga, though I was wondering if there're any climbing exercises that would help me with this, or is what I need is splits at home?

And another move that I'm trying to do, is something similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwtdmaYI7WQ&t=1885s, (foot over ones hand - does it have any name? in my case it's horizontal, not vertical as in video), where I think I suffer the same problem. Any exercises that I can do to help with move like this?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

El Marrow posted:

Thankfully not. Climbing actually alleviates my back pain, strangely enough.

Same here - though my back issues stem from bad posture (which I've been working on lately) and sitting job. Upper back, if that matters.

Climbing actually makes it go away, probably due to endorphins.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

petrol blue posted:

Right, third set of climbing pants I've tried, four if you count trying leggings on and refusing to leave the house. What the gently caress do people wear for climbing? I'm having a pig of a time finding something that doesn't bind and is lightweight enough not to make me overheat after ten minutes:
-My huge ancient denim skater-shorts (shut up) - fine, but only because they already have a massive rip in the arse (wore leggings under them). Waiting for them to actually disintegrate on the wall is distracting.
-Nylon reebok tracksuit - overheated, stuck at extreme stretching. Also reebok.
-Cut-off army surplus pants - binding at my knee. I bought them oversize to give myself more room, plus they were what the charity shop had :v:
-Leggings - ahahaha, no.

I'm deeply skint, especially after paying for month-pass at the bouldering place, so any ideas on cheap-but-functional would go down real well. Also, stories of what definitely doesn't work, so I can take it off the list.

e: I got a pair of 'craghoppers', look decent/loose/etc, but they're fully lined and way too hot for anything but winter extreme wear. Should I just hack the lining out? That seemed like a winner with the tracksuit pants, but then they were sticky.

Have you tried any yoga pants? I've picked something similar to these, in cotton, for ~10£ : http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Womens-Favorite-Black-Medium/dp/B005CSNYBM/ and am pretty happy about it.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 14, 2015

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Yay, did my first 6A today!

(good riddance, because there're plenty of ~6 problems I was afraid to try and this at least gave me a bit of confidence to move forward).

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

Recommended way to train endurance?

Just doing more climbing of easier routes? Something else?

I've seen people either: doing the same route without any pause, a couple of times, or, counting to 2-3 before you grab a hold

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I've been climbing for three years now, but for the first time in this time my nails started flaking off (3rd and 4th toe on each foot). I'm using the same shoes for a year now, so it's a little weird for me.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Yearly wall membership would cost me £216 in UK

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Also - you can generally find quite a good deals online, so, if you can, find the shoes that fit you and look around on the net. I've bought mine with £80 discount, and that was on top of my gym's 10% off. I don't know for US, but Bergfreunde.de was where I've purchased mine (UK, but they deliver through Europe)

Also - don't believe the measurements the companies put on the websites, saying to take 2 or 4 off your street size - try the shoe on (i've had to send my shoes back twice - good thing the shipping was free)

canis minor
May 4, 2011

As with any other thing, I think, the gist of it is to look around - my gym even allows people to place ads indoors regarding shoe sale.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I've been climbing in yoga pants - now I'm using them for yoga as well :v:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

What about planks?

For me it was - go to the wall and practice the routes until you get better, which helped me in core area. Now I'm lifting and doing cardio to gain more endurance.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Same here - I follow the International but when I checked they didn't have this broadcast in, so that's another channel to follow

canis minor fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 2, 2018

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Tactical Lesbian posted:

An easy bet right there -- you're absolutely right.

So as a newbie, under 1 month of climbing, is there anything wrong with just climbing like every day? Like 30-60 minutes over lunch time, and ~3 hours a day on weekends? Am I going too hard right out of the gate?

After 2w when I was still testing the waters I started doing it monday / wednesday / friday week one - tuesday / thursday week two - felt alright, if not not enough (started bouldering at a ripe old age of 31, been doing it for 2-3 years now). You can go weekends if you feel like it, while keeping one day for a rest. With that regime I've had no serious injuries (apart for small stuff with my fingers when I didn't do a proper warmup + bad shoulder due to IT job). In the beginning I was full of energy and climbing for 2h, but in the end I've settled for 1-1.5h routine. I guess it all depends on age, as mate of mine that started bouldering earlier (at 16y/o) and was much more good at it than me was bouldering 2-3h almost daily - but that was after 10y or so of climbing.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

sweek0 posted:

What bouldering Youtube channels do you all follow?

I really like Rockentry for his very clear analysis of problems which I think really has helped me with technique. Bouldering Bobat on the other hand is hardly technical but absolutely hilarious and filmed at my gym.

International Federation of Sport Climbing, but I guess that's a lazy answer :D

canis minor
May 4, 2011

jet_dee posted:

Boot bananas, yay or nay?

Definitely yes. They're cheap and do their job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Bought some new shoes today :3: it's the second time they're the same size as my street shoes, yet still they feel a bit small-ish. This time I went for La Sportiva Tarantulas; my previous ones - Katana, were so uncomfortable I wasn't able to wear them for more than 1.5h - still I persevered until they garnered holes (so i had to, i tell you, had to replace them).

Regarding socializing - some people from my work are attending next monday, so ask around, you might be surprised! I also gotten asked today about my new shoes by a security guy that randomly screened my bag - I asked him if he climbs, but he didn't want to come :v: I've also noticed that it's easier for me to have a chit-chat at the wall, even if it boils down to how to do given route and people are friendly to answer (or it might be a british thing, idk). There's absolutely progress to be made if you climb alone as well - you can always have a look how other people are doing given thing and try to emulate. It's fun!