Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I think the only times I might inside flag are on overhung routes where I might also be inclined to drop a knee. (Basically the only functional difference I can think of is that it helps keep the corresponding shoulder in closer to the wall.) Even then though I'm much more likely to switch feet. I'll have to pay attention and see but who knows when I might actually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

KingColliwog posted:

So I've been on a quest to find the best way to remove smell from my shoes. I resole my shoes multiple time and at some point got one pair to smell horrible and like an idiot I switched shoes mid session and managed to get 2-3 pairs infected. It got so bad that I was considering throwing the shoes in the trash.

I'm a lazy guy so I'm on a quest to find the best and easiest method.

I first tried spraying ungodly amount of Lysol in a pair. Results : shoe still smelled

Then tried throwing a pair in the washing machine. Result : really nice looking shoe with really sticky rubber that still smelled just as bad.

Then I tried soaking in pure vinegar for 1 hour and then throwing them in the washing machine. Result : foot smell is completely gone, but the lingering vinegar smell (even after multiple session) is not perfect.

Currently trying : denture cleaning tablets. Hopefully shoes will end up smelling minty fresh, but results will only be known tomorrow.

Anyone has good success stories? I usually manage to avoid the smell getting in the shoes with regular Lysol spray and airing them out, but since my shoes get resoled multiple times, they sometime get stinky

Do you climb in evolv or other synthetic leather shoes? If so, they're going to smell. Period. There is no hope.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

KingColliwog posted:

Scarpa instinct 90% of the time. I usually keep my shoes with reasonable smell for at least 1 resole. Last batch got vile like I explained. It was "I can't take them off during the session at all" level of smell. After the vinegar treatment they are as good as new.

Yeah Scarpa Instinct are synthetic. Synthetic climbing shoes stink like hell. One thing that might (no promises) help some is storing them 100% of the time with a shoe deodorizer packet in them, one of the charcoal ones.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Sab669 posted:

Man. Guide services are expensive 🙁

Tentatively planning a trip to Pilot Mountain in North Carolina and all the services I can find are $350/day. Would like to make it a 2 day trip.

I don't know how to develop the skills / knowledge when I live ~2 hours from the nearest Sport crag in order to get comfortable enough to simply post on Mountain Project or random Facebook groups for a random partner :thunk:

Climbing is a difficult/expensive hobby to get into without a group of climbing friends. I made those friends years ago at my local climbing gym, but that's not always an easy thing to do.