Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burns_2k
Oct 17, 2012

CoasterMaster posted:

Anyway, once I feel confident leading, is there anything else I need to know before going outside to a real rock?
The only other thing that springs to mind is you need to learn how to lower off. Usually in a gym you will climb to a pain of screw gates you clip before lowering off. Out doors you will usually need to clip into a pair of bolts with a sling. You then thread the bolts before lowering off. Its worth watching a video or two so you know what to do before you get there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burns_2k
Oct 17, 2012
I might be worth looking at getting a clip stick? Never tried one myself but I've watched people using them and they look handy for that kind of situation.

burns_2k
Oct 17, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

This is also something I've been experimenting with but I don't think I'm bold enough to try it with my eyes closed! Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Part of the issue is that they have a bunch of really easy V0s and V1s set and then very little variation in terms of difficulty until some fairly nasty V4-6s so I'll try and see if I can add just 1 or 2 holds to some of the badass problems to dial them down a bit.

The book Climbing Games by Paul Smith has some ways to add variety to a limited set of routes. Most are designed to make you concentrate on certain aspects of you technique, things like reaching for a hold then pausing for 3 seconds before holding it, doing a route with corks balance don the holds and knocking them off. The games are probably aimed at kids but it adds some variety to a small bouldering wall!

burns_2k
Oct 17, 2012
Have you tried these guys? In the EU at least and it looks cheaper than that from what little I know about bolting. http://www.bolt-products.com/ProtectionBolts.htm