Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tropomyosin
Nov 13, 2012
In terms of climbing training that isn't just more climbing, I enthusiastically recommend aerial gymnastics. Prior to taking trapeze and silks classes, I had hit a plateau at the V3/V4 level. After adding trapeze and silks, I saw improvements in my stamina, flexibility and smoothness through harder problems. The 4's I finish now feel less flaily, and I'm flashing 5's with a kind of shocking frequency. And maybe the confidence instilled by feeling like a fabric ninja gives me anti-gravity powers at the gym?

In conclusion: aerial gymnastics and rock climbing, two great tastes that taste great together.

To make it more rock climb-y and less aerial gymnastics-y, here is a picture from a 'medium water solo-ing' excursion (primarily an excuse to drink and fall in the water):

And for pure finger strengthening, I still swear by this stuff: http://www.powerputty.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tropomyosin
Nov 13, 2012

Frown Town posted:

If anything, it looks really cool.

Heck yeah it does! And if people ever say, "Wait, aerial gymnastics? What's that?" You just get to say, "Oh, you know that stuff they do in Cirque du Soleil? Yeah, that's what I do." And then strike a rock and roll pose and everyone in the room starts applauding. Hope you enjoy it!

On topic of this thread, what are peoples' feelings about use of bolt holes during gym climbing? I know there's the risk of breaking off a finger if you fall, but is it actually considered a feature if you can pull it off?