Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Sorry if this has come up before, but anyone here done any deep water soloing? It basically looks like the most fun it's possible to have.

If so!
- Did you need any equipment? Looking at some videos it seems like people are sometimes abseiling down to the routes. I boulder pretty much exclusively, which is why I like the idea of soloing - can you just rock up somewhere, start climbing and have the sea underneath if you fall, or is it a whole lot more complicated?

- Did it completely gently caress up your shoes? Do I need an old pair just for this, or can I just dry them out with a hairdryer or whatever between dunkings and expect them to last?

- Any UK climbers been anywhere fun? From a quick look around it seems like we have a poo poo load down in Devon and Dorset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

beat9 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good place for bouldering in/near London? I`m off for a couple of days next week with a friend and we wanted to get some bouldering done while there. Also a good place to rent some gear i.e. crash pads.

I didn`t see any mention of it the last couple of pages so thought I`d ask.

Are you looking for outdoors, or gyms? There's a poo poo load of gyms but I haven't been outdoors anywhere near here, I suspect you'd have to go out a decent way

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

guppy posted:

I am introducing friends to the hobby, with some success. A lot of them are fit and take to it no problem, but I have one friend who -- although she has been very gung-ho -- is having a lot of trouble getting going because she's out of shape. She isn't even doing routes right now, just using whatever handholds are handy, and still can't reliably get up the wall, and generally only manages 1-2 attempts per evening.

She's upbeat about it, not getting discouraged or anything, and she loves it enough to buy gear and everything already. So that's great. But I'm a little worried she'll get discouraged. I try to give her technique advice and be motivating, but I'd welcome advice on helping her improve, if any of you guys have experience getting people who aren't in top form started.

This presumably pretty long routes? Does your gym have a bouldering wall as well? If she can literally only go up a couple of times a session, then doing short bouldering routes will allow her to do a lot more routes, which means quicker improvement and more successes.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

guppy posted:

Not entirely sure I'm following. We do have a bouldering cave, but the limiting factor isn't time, she's just pooped after a time or two up. Wouldn't bouldering be harder for her? (edit: I generally find "easy" bouldering problems more demanding than "easy" top-roped routes.

Literally just that they're usually much shorter. So if you were too tired to do another long top-rope climb, you might be a able to do a couple of short ones and get a bit more climbing in?

I'm going to a bouldering only gym at the moment so we have a really good range - obviously not good if there aren't many easy ones or it's mostly overhangs or whatever.