Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I see good climbers leading in pajama pants at my gym. I wear some nylon convertible pants I got for hiking in because they're comfortable and durable, but anything that doesn't constrain your movement is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
A REI employee told me to stuff them with newspaper after climbing, and it's been remarkably effective. No smell yet on my (synthetic) Evolv Defys.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Petey posted:

I've been bouldering twice a week for the last few weeks and have been ramping up from V0s to V3s. However, just today I noticed my first tendon pain: while gripping something (at home) with my right hand such that my hand hinged shut with pressure on my fingers, my middle finger's right knuckle flared up with a throbbing soreness. I don't notice it generally, but if I either extend or close that finger all the way, the knuckle is definitely sore "inside," which I understand to be characteristic of tendon aggravation.

I had a similar problem that happened because I was attempting to climb things that I could kind of hold on to but wasn't really strong enough (fingers, forearms, hands) to do. I took a break from climbing for about a week and worked on upper body strength and other stuff at the gym that didn't use my fingers, and it went away.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

PRADA SLUT posted:

My hands have been hosed up for like two weeks now too. I climb 3x a week and there's just never any time to recover.

I have some balm for them I use daily, but would it be wise to take a few days off to let them heal?

I climb roughly that much (sometimes more) and I use lotion after I climb - seems to do the trick. Are you sure you're using enough chalk? Slipping a little on the holds is really rough on my hands and makes a huge difference in terms of blisters/calluses.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

seventeen posted:

I went to an indoor facility on Sunday and bouldered for the first time in my life. I can't believe how much fun I had. I'm going to be signing up for a monthly membership through them and I've got a lot of newbie questions.

How many days should I give my muscles to heal when starting out? I used to be a gym rat and swore by the every other day method.

Are there any exercises or stretches I could do away from bouldering that would help improve my ability and strength? I noticed that though I had the strength and flexibility to get through some runs that my grip was poor and my muscles fatigued easily.

I wish I had got into climbing earlier. It's definitely the most fun I've had exercising

If you experience tendon pain, give it a rest for a few days until the pain is gone and you've healed. Your grip's going to be the weakest link at this point, and you can get your fingers around a juggy hold and hang on but you're putting a big portion of your body weight on them and it's a likely place to get injured when you're starting out.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

jiggerypokery posted:

I see what your saying but a large part (nearly all) the skill involved in spotting is identifying where and when it is nesiccary. At the end of the day the most serious indoor climbing injuries are often from climbers landing on each other. A small inconsequential fall for a climber of just a few feet is enough to paralyse someone they land on if they are standing in the wrong place. I'm definatly not saying don't spot indoors all I am saying is it's not a skill you 'practice' for use out doors. It's either nessicary in a given situation or it's not regardless of where you are. The skill is just identifying where.

So how are you supposed to learn to spot safely then? Or to learn when to spot?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Fontoyn posted:

So, uh, wrist problems abound. I took a break from climbing and am trying to boulder v3 atm.

The problem remains where whenever I let go of a jug or block, there is a sharp pain that sort of lighting-bolts through the top of my wrist. Afterwards it radiates dull, minor pain for a couple of minutes and subsides. My wrists straight feel looser afterwards but I'm not sure why. Any thoughts?

Go see a doctor and quit climbing on it. That sounds serious.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
While I love my gym, and the staffers are great, there isn't any safety instruction given for bouldering. Yes, absolutely zero safety instruction. There are some informational signs here and there, but if you pay the entry fee you're good to go. Seems pretty crazy to me.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

guppy posted:

I am introducing friends to the hobby, with some success. A lot of them are fit and take to it no problem, but I have one friend who -- although she has been very gung-ho -- is having a lot of trouble getting going because she's out of shape. She isn't even doing routes right now, just using whatever handholds are handy, and still can't reliably get up the wall, and generally only manages 1-2 attempts per evening.

She's upbeat about it, not getting discouraged or anything, and she loves it enough to buy gear and everything already. So that's great. But I'm a little worried she'll get discouraged. I try to give her technique advice and be motivating, but I'd welcome advice on helping her improve, if any of you guys have experience getting people who aren't in top form started.

Anyone who can climb a ladder can get up easy routes with decent technique (not pullups). Just avoid overhanging stuff for a while and she'll be fine.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Headhunter posted:

'sup climbing thread.

I've recently started going to a bouldering gym in my area and I think this is probably the most fun hobby I've ever had. I've been doing this for about 6 weeks now and I'm starting to hit a wall (heh) with my progress. I can't start problems that begin with an overhang and holds that aren't jugs. Is there anything I can read to help me with this or should I just suck it up and start asking people at my gym for tips?

Just climb more. Spend time traversing, work on your grip by staying on the wall longer, and understand that you will never progress as fast as when you started out.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Fanzay posted:

I might be moving to the US or Canada in the fall, and I just don't understand your difficulty ratings! Could any of you explain them to me like I was a retarded Scandinavian? (I am a retarded Scandinavian) Alternatively, provide me with a good link?

Climbing is my life at the moment, I need to understand.

If you Google climbing grades, the Wikipedia article has a comparison chart.

Currently taking a couple weeks off to avoid further injury, give yourself rest days people, particularly after a break.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
It really depends on your level of fitness. Personally, when I started climbing, I would only ever go hiking for exercise, and my upper body strength was non-existent.

Simply being able to do a pull up makes an immense difference in your ability to climb. If you can't muscle up anything at all, you're going to have problems with anything overhung. If you're overweight, or have weak grip strength, you're going to have problems period. Do you need to do hangboard training in order to get past this? No. But using an assistive pull-up machine and strengthening your core through yoga (or climbing or whatever) will make a big difference over time, and less weight makes everything easier.

I found the Metolius rubber donut thing to provide a major boost to grip and forearm strength as well as stamina when used regularly, and I would strongly suggest them for anyone with a commute where they have a hand free - it was great on BART.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Caf posted:

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned ClimbOn bars yet. A little bit goes a long way and it smells pretty good too.

I love the ClimbOn bars, and while expensive they last forever.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

4R7 THi3F posted:

Feeling pretty good right now because I finally managed to climb the last two V1's that were eluding me at my gym. :)

What's the process of learning how to boulder on holds that don't have any grooves to sink your fingers into? Is it like mostly finger/grip strength, or is it a clever way of using tension and pushing yourself up? I tried to climb some V2's and couldn't even start them because they have harder holds :/

You generally use those for balance, keeping you from falling off of the wall, while moving upwards with your legs and attempting to keep your weight off of your hands. As always, if in doubt watch another climber or ask someone standing around bouldering.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

CoasterMaster posted:

Anyway, once I feel confident leading, is there anything else I need to know before going outside to a real rock?

You should probably take a course or go with people who really know what they're doing. Or you could just watch a video or two, but I sure as hell wouldn't risk it.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

lime rind posted:

Heh, I would save $20 going the Tarantulace route.

That's a good point. I was afraid of looking down because I took to heart the "no distractions" rule of belaying, but there were definitely places where I would have been fine keeping a brake on the rope until I noticed the rope slacken.

I'm open to other shoes, but as a beginner I'd rather keep cost down until I feel like I'd take advantage of features on better shoes. I could spend a little bit more than the Tarantulas, but unfortunately I don't remember what else is available at the store.

As a beginner the Tarantulas will likely be fine until you wear them out. Get any comfortable not-too-aggressive shoe. As long as it's snug enough to not shift around on you it'll be fine. I would definitely not get something tight enough that you want to be constantly pulling them off because the advantages tight fitting aggressive shoes provide are simply not relevant to the beginning climber.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
For ~$11 off plus whatever discount the coupon gives I'd skip these and just buy whatever pair you actually want for more money. You're likely going to be using them for a long time.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Betazoid posted:

So my husband and I are indoor sport climbers and boulderers. We started climbing about 2 years ago and started to really understand footwork about a year ago. I usually am in the 5.8-5.10a range and he's in the 5.10c-11c range. We took two weeks off in May and it killed us; when we got back, 5.7s were hard again. We just took 6 weeks off (vacation plus a busy month), and after two sessions back I flashed a 5.9! I was surprised I could do it!

Any tips on breaking through from 5.9 to 5.10a? I read this thread (I'm on page 40) and I know to just keep climbing and ignore ratings, but I'm struggling on those little crimps and the big dynamic moves. I'm 5'4 and about 135 pounds (trying to lose a few as I feel better around 125). Suggestions for how to approach a 10a thoughtfully would be great. I have finished a few and actually flashed one that was tailored to my skill set (balance and a narrow route), but any advice especially from women climbers would be really appreciated!

It's possible your gym is the most sandbagged gym in the world, but if not you just need to climb harder stuff and get used to struggling your way up. 5.9 indoors shouldn't be too hard for someone in acceptable physical shape, and certainly not after two years of climbing. I climb with a circle of women around your height that are all over the weight spectrum and I don't think that's your problem. What grade do you boulder in your gym?

My guess is that you've stuck to easier stuff that feels doable and have avoided moves/routes that are challenging or that you haven't learned to do yet. Bouldering is a good way to learn more challenging movements and you can watch other climbers and ask for suggestions if you're struggling on a move.

Given that your husband is a stronger climber, what does he think your issues needing focus are?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Anyone have any Tahoe bouldering spots? Going to be up there for the next several days. Somewhere I could bring a kid and mess around without being on a cliff would be ideal, if such a spot exists.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Oops. Let's say V5 and below, maybe making some bad attempts at V6.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Boner Pill Connoisseur posted:

Re tendonitis, I'm also old as poo poo in climbing terms and have had to deal with this too. Don't forget downclimbing - fit it in to each day. Like for ever 3-4 routes you do, try and downclimb 1

Can you explain how this is helpful regarding tendonitis? Seems like it would work the same muscles the same way just going downwards similarly to how people do negatives before they can do a full pull up. I imagine there's something I'm missing?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
It means you should do more dips.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I usually have people just sit back on the rope down really low or take falls on the rope from only a little ways up to build confidence in the safety system. I do the same thing with people afraid of bouldering, practicing jumping down safely form progressively higher up.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

remote control carnivore posted:

I need tips and tricks for footwork on horizontal routes. I keep crapping out on my gym project one clip from the anchors because I get worn out, and I think it's because i do'nt know where to put my drat feet.

Please do not suggest bouldering, b/c I do not boulder for orthopedic reasons.

Climb stuff you think you can't send, ideally overhung. Same idea as bouldering. Do hard moves a lot.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Kasumeat posted:

I need to replace my Vapor Vs, but the new generation has a stiffer sole and are now 100% synthetic, which are steps in the wrong direction. Are there are any shoes with a similar large toebox that are leather and relatively soft? I got some Otakis which have a really good fit for me but the sole is way too firm.

Im strongly considering buying a pair of the new ones based on fit alone. What's the issue with a fully synthetic shoe? You can also still definitely find the old version around the web.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
REI is offering 25 percent off all Scarpa shoes right now, and 20 percent on any full price item. It's a good spot for shoes, especially when starting out, because of their return policy.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

rest his guts posted:

That's, uhh, awful. Do you at least have some sort of board or system wall?

Also I started logging climbing in TFLC in case anyone is curious. The idea is to try and do 20-problem pyramids while using the base of the pyramid for deliberate practice (i.e. staying up over the feet, relaxing grip, practicing lock offs, practicing getting into hosed up boxes etc.) that peak with the 2-3 problems I'm focusing on that day. Ideally 2 would be one below max and 1 would be max grade. No more than 5 attempts per problem with massive rest in between because I suck at resting.

I'd be interested in the details and how to set up my own plan if you want to do a write up.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Anybody want to explain the science of saunas and why I should be using the one at my climbing gym? Never been in it.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Been using the Futura lately and while the no-edge is a bit of an adjustment I like the shoes a lot

I love the no-edge and feel like they're soft enough that you can size down to get a very snug fit. No-edge really gives confidence on tiny little chips and on smears, there's a much better sense of whether you're going to stick it or not versus a shoe like the Miura.

I wear a size 42.5 in Futuras and most other La Sportiva shoes I've owned (Miura lace, Cobra Mythos). My street size is an 11.5 US. I have kind of low-volume feet, and a longer second toe with a narrow heel and I like the fit comfort a lot given the performance aspects.

My next shoe will definitely be the Speedster or other no-edge.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
As someone who has been plateaued for a long time, strength usually isn't the issue but it certainly doesn't hurt. If you were a sedentary goon before climbing you may have some severe core strength deficiencies or flexibility deficiencies even if you can do ten pull ups. Also if you never work at crimpy climbs, or slopers, or whatever, you won't get better at those things. This includes the mental aspect - if you don't like pushing your limits and risking falls it's really hard to get good at bouldering. Sometimes it can help to have a climbing buddy push you a little, verbally, while you're working those moves. It's really easy to have fun while treading water in terms of improving your climbing. New routes coming up at the gym regularly means you can stay the same and still have a good time.

I barely climbed over the last month due to illness and my forearms were sore for a couple of days after climbing again for the first time in ages...

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

interrodactyl posted:

Climbing is primarily a skill based sport, so a supplemental workout of that difficulty is just making your time on the wall less focused and efficient.

Drop it or do something lighter. I only do a core workout and antagonist exercises 2x/week and nothing else to supplement.

What's your core and antagonist routine? I took the last two months off for the most part due to illness and going back I'm incredibly weak and have forgotten how to climb. Seems like a good time for a new training plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

On Terra Firma posted:

Shoe question. I'm about worn through my Evolv Kronos and have been trying every shoe I can get my hands on through REI. Pretty much everything has some kind of shoe "fart" for me no matter how much I size down. I know this has to do with the heel not fitting properly and allowing air to get sucked down, but is it something that goes away if it's minor? I think I've bought and returned around 25-30 pairs of shoes and haven't found anything that seems to work.

You may not be sizing down enough. Especially if you're ordering online and not trying on multiple pairs of the same shoe. What shoes have come closest?