Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
My goal for the year is to enter a bouldering competition by the end of the year. I do not expect to do really well, just enter. I have The Self Coached Climber, 9 out of 10 climbers, and will be climbing at The Castle and Mile End in London. I have been indoor climbing at an amateur level for about a year now and have had some private instruction. I might do a few personal training and coaching sessions to mark progress. Following YLLS nutrition guide and doing lots of free weights in the gym to lose weight and gain some power. Wish me luck goonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
I live in Potters Bar right now, so getting to The Arch is a PITA 8(

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

Why not just enter one?

Because it will encourage me to keep climbing and exercising, especially on those days when I am just feeling lazy. I have a lot of fun climbing, but until this point I have just been climbing in my comfort zone and really want to improve. I might enter that March one for poo poo's and giggles at your suggestion.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

My Metolius Simulator 3D came in today and it is beautiful.

I will concur with everyone else - do not jump into fingerboard training right away. Tendons react to strain a lot more slowly to muscles, so if you do not work very slowly with them they are likely to get damaged.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

eithedog posted:

I'll have a question regarding one thing that is becoming an issue for me lately - mainly, the smell.

So, what to do?

These just hit the climbing scene in the UK and they have done a marvelous job of de-stinking my shoes.

http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/boot-bananas-p-1654.html

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there such a thing as like a tiny little pouch that hooks to your harness (or somewhere) that you could put things like your phone or credit cards in? Where I climb there's no safe place to put my belongings, and my chalk bag will hold like a single small item like a wedding ring but nothing else really. Just get pants with cargo pockets?

My chalk bag is a standard size but it has a pretty sizable zippy pocket in it. Check out your local gym, amazon, or etsy for some cool ones with pockets.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Stangg posted:

I start with 5 minutes of leg stretching, especially hams. Then lots of various hangs on different types of holds in the fingerboard area (nothing too hard, slopers, pinches etc).

Isn't the currently accepted warm-up to do exercise first (i.e. climb a few easy routes) and then stretch afterward? It sounds like hanging off of a fingerboard without warming up your arms is a great way to get an injury.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Fanzay posted:

I need a new harness, does anyone have any reccomendations?

I have the Petzl Calidris and I lurve it. Super comfortable and squishy.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

My Red Chilli Durango's really just bend and slide off of small holds so I picked up a pair of the 5.10 Anasazi Blancos and they are beautiful.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Going climbing on real rock for the first time this weekend. Doing a three day trad course in Dartmoor with my university mountaineering club. Any words of wisdom to share for my first time?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Just got back from my first outdoor climbing trip. Seconded a lead up Mucky Gully in Dartmoor yesterday, had lots of practice setting up various anchors, belays, and placing gear etc. Today we went out to Chudleigh and I top roped Reek at the Cow Cave. Was absolutely exhilarating. So nice to be able to put all of my indoor skills into practice outdoors.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Chris! posted:

Spent the day climbing at Hound Tor in Dartmoor, England. I've mostly climbed indoors and a little bit of sandstone so this was amazing, my first time doing things like jamming. Hands hurt like hell but it was SO good!

Awesomeness! Shame about the weather recently. I was up at Dewerstone a few weeks ago and it was gorgeous. I take it your sandstone was at Harrison's or Bowles?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A 12 year old Italian climber died today after a sling failure 8(
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68190

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

armorer posted:

I am kind of confused by this question, because they are generally just a flat slab of rubber. I've never actually had to clean (or even contemplated cleaning) the bottoms of my climbing shoes.

Climbing on sandstone can dirty them up pretty good, as general outdoor wetness. I wonder if he meant cleaning while climbing? I usually just rub them against my pant leg before I hop on the wall.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

Just got back from a 2 month trip to the Frankenjura! Holy poo poo that place is incredible!

I guess the lingering WW2 stigma makes Germany a never thought of trip destination here in the UK, no one talks about it. It is amazing though. 10k routes or something. The classics are polished but there is so much to do its unbelievable.

Will you be posting some pictures?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Well the physio has given me the go ahead to start climbing (slowly) on my wrist. Super excited to see all of the new changes at The Castle in London!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Dutymode posted:

Really unfortunate with the progress she's made this winter.

That super sucks. She's an incredible climber and it's a shame to see her floored by an unfortunate injury.