Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intrus
Dec 22, 2004
U3RhciBXYXJzIHJ1bGVzLg==

spwrozek posted:

She wants to push past 10a/b leading but will not just go for it and risk a fall. It is the gym, super safe, clean falls. I don't know how to push her past that our what to say. She is reading rock warriors way so maybe that will help.

As someone who felt frustrated with my lead climbing about six months ago, I feel her pain. I didn't want to push, especially with slab or tricky bits where the falls were extra-scary, and I was fighting over-grip, heart-race anxiety on routes I would blast through on TR. Reading the Rock Warriors Way is great, but taking their Falling and Commitment Class is even better. They hold it all over the US, and it's an entire evening of learning how to fall properly. It addressed much of my blind fear, and gave me a lot of fundamentals that I now use every time I climb. Breathing, self-talk, being aware of no-fall zones, good falling technique... It's the best class I've taken for climbing, hands-down. They also talk a lot about belaying, catching, and being a great climbing partner.

Here's the site. I think they do Denver periodically, or you can request it:
http://warriorsway.com/usa-gym_falling-and-commitment-training-events

There should be other falling classes you can take, too. PRG here in Portland held one recently that was unrelated to the one I took. A lot of people struggle with falling fears, so it's a common class. Maybe it will help her get through her block, and help you, too.

Good luck to both of you!

Intrus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU