Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Marzzle posted:

does anyone have a strengthening routine so you can maybe rockclimb when you're prone to RSIs from computer touching? Every time I try to do like 3 finger tip pullups in a day (sets of 1 mind you) my RSI flares up and my upper forearms and fingers get painful. I do captains of crush gripper exercises and a handball/extensor routine to try and rehab/fix my RSI issues a lot but there has to be a better way.

I don't really rock climb but the nearest gym to me is a rock gym and it has all the normal gym stuff and I'd like to maybe try actually doing it some day. It doesn't hurt during the pullups or even afterwards but I can feel it in the general "oh your fingers and forearms kind of get pins and needles on random key presses" and they feel weird (not painful) when resting

also I'm in my mid 30s

Jfc don't do finger pullups as a non climber in your 30s :psyduck: My 39-year-old pulley tendons hurt just reading this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Never heard of such a destination

Gym in SF

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

The purpose of indoor climbing is to prepare one for outdoor climbing, or to fill that void in the absence of the latter. If that wasn't the case, indoor climbing problems would not at all resemble outdoor problems. You wouldn't have plastic holds that come in similar shapes/types (crimps, pinches, slopers, etc.) as holds that you find on rock, walls would not have features that resemble outdoor features (e.g. cracks, roofs, etc.), and you wouldn't have moves that require similar techniques.

There are plenty of indoor climbers who have never been outside, this might be the purpose for you but it's not some universal truth

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I just get chalk out of the plastic bag it came in, works pretty well

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Yoga's one of those things where every single time I do it I'm like, "Wow that was good I should do this more" but I just cannot actually find the motivation to make it a regular part of my routines.

It helps a lot to find a teacher you like so then you can just go to all their classes.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Go to the gym at around 3:30-4pm any weekday, witness dozens of middle and high school students effortlessly flashing every problem you've been working on for weeks.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

foutre posted:

Any particular tips for bouldering outside? Got two huge crash pads, so set on that. I'm coming off recovery from a wrist injury, so I'm going to climb exclusively on the lowest grades, but was curious if there's anything i should look out for going from gym -> actual rock.

Snakes, hornets, wasps

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My Moccasyms finally wore out after like 10 years and I had to get new shoes and I was sad to discover, after trying on like 20 different types of shoe in multiple sizes, that the TC Pros really were *easily* the most comfortable shoe for my foot. Stupid feet with expensive taste > : (

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

:| How many resoles did you get out of that pair?

I think twice? There was a long period in there that I took off from climbing.

interrodactyl posted:

Have you tried unparallel moccs? Same factory as the old 5.10 stuff before they got bought by Adidas, with designs that are barely legally distinct from the 5.10 line.

I had no idea these existed! It's okay though, the new shoes feel real good on my feet :homebrew:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
How insanely insecure do you need to be to get mad about someone else finishing a problem at the gym lmao

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

On a related note, my local gym is completely rammed most of the time and it gets really frustrating when someone is working a problem but spends 90% of their time standing next to it not actually climbing instead of stepping back and making space for others to have a go while they're catching their breath or whatever. It gets even worse when you get a big group just kind of loitering around watching the one guy projecting, I get that it's fun to hang out with your friends when climbing but don't fill up the entire available space right next to the wall, go stand somewhere else!

Yeah this is the actually annoying thing about kids/climbing teams at the gym, they tend to just chill on the mats like it's an appropriate place to hang out instead of getting the gently caress out of the way

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Xyven posted:

I married my climbing partner :shrug:

A sound strategy to avoid loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Sab669 posted:

https://vimeo.com/882716301

Apparently some people did a 67-pitch traverse down in the Gunks recently. Fun short film about it.

The shots of the hikers casually walking by below lol