Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quijybo
May 23, 2006

ZeroDays posted:

I've never climbed outdoors, and I always think to myself while climbing in the gym, "there's no way holds as big and convenient as this exist in nature". Is that pretty much the case? That is, if I were to take my level of climbing and translate it to outdoors, I'd struggle because holds are just way less juggy/positive/convenient etc (to say nothing of them being far less salient and harder to spot)?

Real rock is a lot easier to hold onto, so tiny or slopey holds feel more useful. I especially get a lot more out of my feet. To me, spending a weekend climbing outdoors and then going back to a gym / artificial wall makes everything feel kind of slippery and terrible in comparison, even simulated rock walls that are supposed to feel real. The downside is that it rips your hands up much faster.

I think the more important thing is like you said: holds are harder to spot and moves are less obvious. You can look for chalk on the wall to mark where the holds are but not every useful hold is chalked up. The safety and scariness factors make outdoor seem more difficult as well: the height, the hard ground, wind, unfamiliarity, etc. It's just a much different feeling than climbing in a cushy, safe gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quijybo
May 23, 2006

Yeah, you explained that better than me. I've climbed at quite a few places in CO, UT, OH, WV, and KY, so that's based on my experiences there. I try not to climb outside unless it's nice and dry.

I should have also mentioned the bees and spiders...

Quijybo
May 23, 2006

modig posted:

I saw someone recently climbing while holding a fist sized ball in each hand.

I recently started doing "no-finger" climbs in the gym. You can use fists, palms, wrists, etc. but can't let the bottom side of your fingers touch a hold. It has the same effect of training you to use your feet more. (and it's goofy as hell, which is the real reason I did it)