Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Guy A. Person posted:

It also gets some really basic facts wrong in order to paint Superman as indifferent and ineffectual:

Except he did directly save Jenny and everyone else by stopping the terraforming machine, which was what was causing the earthquakes. What Perry did (sacrificing his own life just to comfort her) was certainly heroic, but I don't see where he can get credit for somehow stopping the wave of destruction that was heading towards her.

To quote SMG "You can't stop what's happening in New York unless you also stop what's happening in India."
Jenny isn't watching the Zac Snyder film Man of Steel in the movie theater, Jenny is a character in the film. There is no way that Jenny, or literally any other person in Metropolis, would know a single thing about anything Superman did in the Indian Ocean, much less what fuckall it would have to do with saving them. For the film character Jenny -- who has never met Superman in her life and doesn't interact with him in any way whatsoever throughout the entire course of the film -- to then say "He saved us!" is, in fact, absolutely delusional.

The moment could have been played as Jenny, and the other citizens of the city, misunderstanding or being otherwise confused about Superman's appearance -- "What did he just do? Where has he been all this time? Has he been helping or hurting us?" -- which would have actually made sense given the continuity of events we just experienced. Instead? It tried to play the scene off as a cathartic moment, with the (very few) people Superman saved finally understanding his heroism. This is the exact sort of tone-deafness that the article is referring to.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

She witnessed a god descend from the Heavens. It's not subtle.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

She just witnessed tons of other similar "gods" threatening to murder her and her entire race! Meanwhile she sees this one "god" -- who, incidentally, she knows is the only reason the other gods are here to kill everyone in the first place -- flying down after thousands of her peers are murdered, and immediately somehow understands that he did something -- what, exactly? Who knows! -- to save the rest of them from being smashed to death? You're right that it's not subtle, it's just completely nonsensical.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BrianWilly posted:

Jenny isn't watching the Zac Snyder film Man of Steel in the movie theater, Jenny is a character in the film. There is no way that Jenny, or literally any other person in Metropolis, would know a single thing about anything Superman did in the Indian Ocean, much less what fuckall it would have to do with saving them. For the film character Jenny -- who has never met Superman in her life and doesn't interact with him in any way whatsoever throughout the entire course of the film -- to then say "He saved us!" is, in fact, absolutely delusional.

She saw him tear through the alien ship that was piloted by one of the malevolent gods.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

She would have had to have Kryptonian vision herself to have seen that from this vantage point, but sure why not.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

BrianWilly posted:

The moment could have been played as Jenny, and the other citizens of the city, misunderstanding or being otherwise confused about Superman's appearance -- "What did he just do? Where has he been all this time? Has he been helping or hurting us?" -- which would have actually made sense given the continuity of events we just experienced. Instead? It tried to play the scene off as a cathartic moment, with the (very few) people Superman saved finally understanding his heroism. This is the exact sort of tone-deafness that the article is referring to.

You're right. This movie's retarded.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

She knows that this guy exists, that some evil aliens came looking for him, that he turned himself in, that the aliens attacked the city anyway, that all of a sudden the alien attack stopped and their ship spontaneously disappeared from the sky and now the guy is standing there making out with her friend. It's not a huge leap to make using basic inference.

EDIT: Also, just for reference, I was responding directly to the part of the quote where the author proposed that Superman had nothing to do with saving her. I wasn't arguing about her personal knowledge, but the objective fact of him saving her.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 2, 2014

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

BrianWilly posted:

She just witnessed tons of other similar "gods" threatening to murder her and her entire race! Meanwhile she sees this one "god" -- who, incidentally, she knows is the only reason the other gods are here to kill everyone in the first place -- flying down after thousands of her peers are murdered, and immediately somehow understands that he did something -- what, exactly? Who knows! -- to save the rest of them from being smashed to death? You're right that it's not subtle, it's just completely nonsensical.

Look out, we got an atheist here!

Real telling of criticism of this film are two falsehoods repeated as truth.
1. Thousands die.
People got the gently caress out of town when the machine started, we see them running, and the machine advancing slowly. Later during the fight with Zod we see how empty the streets and buildings are. Even if we were to accept that thousands of people died horribly, he literally saved billions from the same fate.
2. Metropolis was destroyed.
I mean yeah, ground zero is ashes, but literally the next scene is Supes and Zod flying through block after block of skyscrapers.

Superman saves the day, as Superman is wont to do. Saying otherwise is whiny rear end nerd bullshit that has nothing to do with this film presents.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

She knows that this guy exists, that some evil aliens came looking for him, that he turned himself in, that the aliens attacked the city anyway, that all of a sudden the alien attack stopped and their ship spontaneously disappeared from the sky and now the guy is standing there making out with her friend. It's not a huge leap to make using basic inference.
:psyduck: Yes, this is a huge leap. This is a virtual word-for-word description of a huge leap. You are literally saying that she believes Superman saved them when she does not see, hear, or experience anything that would logically lead her to understand that fact. Let us just reiterate that no one in Metropolis knows anything at all about Superman. They don't know that he's inclined to help people, they don't know what he's been doing these past years or even these past hours, they don't know he's cooperating with the military...heck, do they even know that he turned himself in in the first place?? The fact that he is physically present in the aftermath of the attack is not an indication that he did anything against it. For all Jenny knows, he was there the whole time, since she wasn't even aware that he was ever anywhere else!

Moreover, there are tons of reason why the attack could have stopped that Jenny would have assumed before connecting Superman to any of it. Why, for instance, would she assume that he specifically did anything to stop the Kryptonians instead of the military plane that just rammed itself into their base and sucked them all into a vortex? Even assuming she makes the leap that Superman fought these aliens at all, why would she elevate him specifically above the servicemen she saw actively fighting the aliens?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

wyoming posted:

Superman saves the day, as Superman is wont to do. Saying otherwise is whiny rear end nerd bullshit that has nothing to do with this film presents.

Why are you so agitated dude. This isn't a battle between the forces of light and darkness, as depicted in the film Men of Steel. What does all this invective lead to, aside from an unpleasant thread to read and post in? What's this war in the heart of nature?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Superman's able to leap over skyscrapers in a single bound. This film is all about huge leaps.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DNS posted:

Why are you so agitated dude. This isn't a battle between the forces of light and darkness, as depicted in the film Men of Steel. What does all this invective lead to, aside from an unpleasant thread to read and post in? What's this war in the heart of nature?

Deep down everybody knows that the actual answer to why Superman punches so much poo poo in this movie is because all the dinguses who didn't like Superman Returns said "durr, Superman should punch a lot of poo poo in the next movie!" and Hollywood listened.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Deep down everybody knows that the actual answer to why Superman punches so much poo poo in this movie is because all the dinguses who didn't like Superman Returns said "durr, Superman should punch a lot of poo poo in the next movie!" and Hollywood listened.

This is 10000000% the truth, and why I find it especially funny that this argument keeps happening, because I know that there are people out there who clamorred for it, got it, and realized what exactly it entailed.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

DNS posted:

I'm actually discussing the movie, unlike people that make up poo poo that never happens in the movie so they can claim "Not my Superman!"
I don't really care if people like or hate the movie, if they actually watched it though, it would be nice for discussion.

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is 10000000% the truth, and why I find it especially funny that this argument keeps happening, because I know that there are people out there who clamorred for it, got it, and realized what exactly it entailed.

And it's a beautiful, beautiful thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Since you're so intent on digging this grave...

quote:

'Man of Steel' director Zack Snyder has spoken out about the fight between Superman and General Zod… and it looks as though the Metropolis death toll soared into thousands.

It seems the citizens of Metropolis are never safe - even with Superman around to apparently save the day. During our live 'Man of Steel' Q&A, Zack Snyder revealed how many citizens were killed during the carnage when Superman and General Zod eventually faced off for that impressive, destruction-filled battle. And it seems Metropolis suffered rather hefty casualties.

"Probably five thousand people or something like that," Snyder explained. "I mean, that's a horrible thing to say as a number. You don't like putting numbers on it. But you have to imagine there are people in those buildings."

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No one who is not an idiot is arguing that no one died in the fight. Snyder is probably right, people probably died. But I mean, come on.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah. Some people think superhero = super action hero. There's this appetite for seeing massive powers being deployed in the most gigantic way. They don't think "Oh yeah, Superman uses his massive powers to save or protect people!" they want him to his something as hard as he can, with the full might of modern special effects.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Yoshifan823 posted:

No one who is not an idiot is arguing that no one died in the fight. Snyder is probably right, people probably died. But I mean, come on.

Some guy with a personality disorder declared that BrianWilly was presenting "falsehoods repeated as truth" when he said thousands died, just 8 posts above you. This is a direct response to that. What are you "come on"ing? Do you think he's being ridiculous, to respond to the guy who literally called him a liar who didn't even watch the movie?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

^yeah that

Yoshifan823 posted:

SA forums member wyoming literally claimed that people -- specifically myself -- who say that thousands of people got murdered in Metropolis are making poo poo up and need to actually watch the film. I posted an interview that indicated that he is, in fact, the one who flat-out invented a reading of the film that goes against what the creator of the film specifically intended to portray.

So I mean yeah, come on.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
For some reason "thousands of people dying" wasn't an issue in Transformers 3 when literally the same thing happened.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, for one thing I'm not certain I could conjure a gently caress to give about Transformers 3 if I was paid to, and for another thing even associating MoS with it would probably make this film look worse, not better :v:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BrianWilly posted:

And yet, she knows.

Maybe she was with someone who knows about Superman, who could tell her. But that's unimportant.

She knows he saved them, and she is correct.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Let us just reiterate that no one in Metropolis knows anything at all about Superman. They don't know that he's inclined to help people, they don't know what he's been doing these past years or even these past hours, they don't know he's cooperating with the military...heck, do they even know that he turned himself in in the first place??

They literally do know all of this stuff about Superman because Lois has been obsessively pursuing a story about an alien who has been going around saving people (which everyone in the office knows and teases her about), and as soon as Zod shows up and issues his ultimatum there is a scene where Perry instantly figures out that this is the same guy. Then the military shows up to take her into custody and the next time her friends see her she is making out with this guy who just floated down from the sky.

And once again, the original quote was about how Superman didn't save them at all, not about this girl's logic. Moving the goal posts that drastically to claim that the "tone-deafness" of the scene was due to that comment is a bigger leap than anything else in this film.

Also what SMG just said.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

DNS posted:

Some guy with a personality disorder declared that BrianWilly was presenting "falsehoods repeated as truth" when he said thousands died, just 8 posts above you. This is a direct response to that. What are you "come on"ing? Do you think he's being ridiculous, to respond to the guy who literally called him a liar who didn't even watch the movie?

Oh no, noted shitposter DNS has psychological opinions about me. Get the gently caress over yourself.

My point still stands.

wyoming posted:

Even if we were to accept that thousands of people died horribly, he literally saved billions from the same fate.

We don't see the thousands die, which is important, because this is a film. Synder pulls a number out of his when he's asked a random question, and that changes the movie, how? The point isn't the blocks of Metroplis that get leveled, it's Superman going to India and saving the world. Literally, the world.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I would love to have the powers of Superman.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

wyoming posted:

We don't see the thousands die, which is important, because this is a film. Synder pulls a number out of his when he's asked a random question, and that changes the movie, how? The point isn't the blocks of Metroplis that get leveled, it's Superman going to India and saving the world. Literally, the world.

If it's not the point then why did you go to pains to correct him while calling him a liar, clearly relishing it all the while? What was your goal in fussing over Not The Point while also calling him names and lying about what he said? Was it to make the thread better? Or was it to make yourself feel good?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

computer parts posted:

For some reason "thousands of people dying" wasn't an issue in Transformers 3 when literally the same thing happened.

Meh, probably hundreds of thousands in Chicago died, so that only makes them an unimportant statistic.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

DNS posted:

If it's not the point then why did you go to pains to correct him while calling him a liar, clearly relishing it all the while? What was your goal in fussing over Not The Point while also calling him names and lying about what he said? Was it to make the thread better? Or was it to make yourself feel good?

Because it's a point about movie literacy. I wasn't calling anyone a liar, I was saying they didn't pay attention. We don't see thousands die, the entire city is never destroyed. These are both complaints leveled that really don't have anything to do with the film Man of Steel, and are more complaints about some personal ideal of Superman. I'm not trying to post with any animosity here, it's just this is the thread where this was argued to not have anything to say about decadence:

And that this took nothing from the Matrix:

The film is a pretty simple story of Clark becoming Superman, he saves the world. People are getting caught up with a number the director makes up because some asks him to, or wondering how Jenny could know Superman was a hero. We learn the lesson that sometimes people can't be saved from Clark's father and Jenny knows because he'd become Superman by that point. No more playing around with the name by the end of the film.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Super angry nerds in the Super Man thread

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's not funny man, Nerdrage is a serious and destructive thing, if not channeled into scene by scene movie review/thesis

Whole city blocks could crumble, many thousands of people could be killed.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

it's not funny man, Nerdrage is a serious and destructive thing, if not channeled into scene by scene movie review/thesis

Whole city blocks could crumble, many thousands of people could be killed.

The exact number who die in the nerdsplosion could also become another potential focus point for new nerdrage and the cycle would begin anew.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BrianWilly posted:

Moreover, there are tons of reason why the attack could have stopped that Jenny would have assumed before connecting Superman to any of it. Why, for instance, would she assume that he specifically did anything to stop the Kryptonians instead of the military plane that just rammed itself into their base and sucked them all into a vortex? Even assuming she makes the leap that Superman fought these aliens at all, why would she elevate him specifically above the servicemen she saw actively fighting the aliens?

So Jenny's supposedly not able to connect the dots between "attack stops" and "Superman is floating there" but it's more feasible for you that she saw the military plane crash into the alien space ship while she was buried under rubble? :crossarms:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bob Quixote posted:

The exact number who die in the nerdsplosion could also become another potential focus point for new nerdrage and the cycle would begin anew.
Once the cycle starts it will require someone of almost super human abilities to stop it.
Someone buy Henry Cavill an SA account

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

So Jenny's supposedly not able to connect the dots between "attack stops" and "Superman is floating there" but it's more feasible for you that she saw the military plane crash into the alien space ship while she was buried under rubble? :crossarms:
There is virtually no causal relation between "attack stops" and "Superman is floating there" from Jenny's perspective. By that logic we could claim that it's perfectly reasonable for Jenny to assume Lois is the one who stopped the attack, since Lois is also conveniently present at the time the Kryptonions were stopped! I don't know how else to put this. You are claiming that Jenny somehow deducted that Superman not only helped to stop the attack, but also that he -- and he specifically, not anyone else -- was instrumental in saving everyone from the Kryptonians, but how the gently caress would she know that. Seriously...how, in Jenny's mind, with her limited knowledge and experience of the situation, does she construct the train of thought that leads to this conclusion?

For pete's sake, Jenny might not even be aware that Superman even has any particularly useful superpowers other than flight at this point, since she hasn't actually seen him or any of the other Kryptonians in direct action! So, yes, it is more feasible for me that Jenny would assume the military stopped the Kryptonians since it is a thing she might possibly be aware of, than that she would assume Superman stopped the Kryptonians since it is a thing she couldn't possibly be aware of.

Actually, just to be clear, the most feasible thing in this situation would be that Jenny simply has no idea what the heck just happened and couldn't venture any guesses as to who exactly saved them, instead of just wildly attributing their salvation to the literal first person she sees after crawling out of the ground.

wyoming posted:

People are getting caught up with a number the director makes up because some asks him to
The only reason someone asked him this is because that is what they extrapolated -- correctly, I might add -- from the events of the film as depicted! If the numerous viewers who assumed that there were horrific casualties from the attack were incorrect in their reading, Snyder could (and should) very well have corrected them when asked about the matter. "No, there weren't that many casualties, most people evacuated, the city was largely empty," just as you claimed in your little fanfiction. But instead, the creator of the film confirmed the depicted situation exactly as viewers had interpreted it. Your fanciful interpretation is the one that contorts the events portrayed by the film...but please, do continue to backpeddle and wail about how everyone else isn't paying enough attention. It's a beautiful, beautiful thing.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 2, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DNS posted:

Note I said "No one who isn't an idiot."

Also, holy gently caress you are placing too much emphasis on a "plot hole" that would be filler in a loving Buzzfeed article. You are right that in the real world, Jenny probably wouldn't know that Superman was the one out saving the world and that kept her from dying, but guess what, It's a movie! Movies do not have to be 100% accurate to real life, and if this is the thing that bothers you (which it probably is just a symptom as opposed to a root), then you are missing the point in a spectacular way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

JediTalentAgent posted:

Meh, probably hundreds of thousands in Chicago died, so that only makes them an unimportant statistic.

They specifically say 1300 in TF4, which just seems absolutely loving ridiculous.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Jenny works at the Planet, it'd be dumb as hell if she didn't know everything there was to be known about Superman's dealings with the military and other Kryptonians re: his surrender to the US and his fight in Smallville. If the attack stops and you look up and around and see no signs of the military whatever but Superman floating down to the ground it's pretty easy to reach the obvious conclusion, especially if you know from reports of previous encounters that human jets were near worthless against even single alien footsoldiers and only Superman was able to turn the attack on Kansas around. I guess it's important to BrianWilly that Jenny be helplessly stupid and unable to make basic inferences, though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Jenny works at the Planet, it'd be dumb as hell if she didn't know everything there was to be known about Superman's dealings with the military and other Kryptonians re: his surrender to the US and his fight in Smallville.
So yeah you just made this up. What is it with people assuming that characters in the film are watching the film right alongside the audience? The Daily Planet has no knowledge of anything that occurred between Superman and the military. Why should they? Lois was only there because she was Superman's liaison. Anyone else wouldn't be privy to even the most generalized details about what went on behind those scenes.

You are right that there were probably reports about the fight in Smallville, though those reports would be hazy at best considering that they're coming from terrified eyewitness sources who have no idea what's happening and passed onto bewildered reporters thousands of miles away who also have no idea what's happening. Seriously, read any news article about any kind of major conflict around the world nowadays and try to come away with any clear sequence of events about who did what in which way and how specifically effective it may or may not have been. Again, the characters of this universe are not watching the movie with us in HD IMAX quality, they are relying completely on hearsay and second-hand information.

I suppose we can assume that anyone hearing reports of the incident in Smallville could come to realize that Superman is fighting against the other aliens at the very least, so there's that. Of course, this would be disregarding that witnesses probably could have seen Superman putting them all in danger by throwing Zod straight into the middle of town in the first place.

Hey by the way, nice job on the whole "helplessly stupid" strawman. It does strengthen your argument to make it sound like I've said ludicrous things that I haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Actually, I didn't make up that Jenny works at the news organization most closely tied to Superman or that you have founded your claims on the premise that she is an idiot. You even said she'd be as likely to believe that Lois saved everyone as Superman! It boggles the mind.

As always, complaints about supposed plot holes reveal themselves to be frustrations at limited problem solving abilities. How could she have known that Superman A) was powerful enough to fight the other aliens and B) actually was fighting the other aliens? Well, I'M either too lazy or too unimaginative to figure out even a single way she could have come to that understanding, so it must actually be impossible and so I have beaten the movie at last.

• Locked thread