Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

whiskas posted:

Basically any DOHC VTEC engine that Honda makes will burn a little bit of oil while in VTEC.

Fixed. Both of my Civics had a healthy appetite for oil..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Working sucks and stuff.

What I've been up to recently:

I also got the head the rest of the way stripped. Here's some images from that:

:wtf: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :wtf:

To be fair only 2 of them were like this. Another 7 like this:

(My camera on my phone sucks at focusing there's a crack at the top)

I think I'll get 16 new ones...

Anyways back to the stripping:

loving valve seals:

Taking the head, block, lower block, and pistons to get cleaned and inspected, then comes the best part.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Adiabatic posted:

:wtf: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :wtf:

Well that would certainly contribute to the oil burning :v:

whiskas
May 30, 2005
It's a very common issue with AP1 valve retainers. Make sure you get replacements for an AP2, they fixed the issue.

When you look at center of the retainer you can tell that it is cracked if the valve stem is recessed into the retainer.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Awesome, I'll get the AP2 retainers then. Thanks for the info.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:siren: Also, might as well bring this up. :siren:

After I finish this rebuild and break it in I'm going to sell it. What I get with that money I haven't figured out yet, but I know I want at least 3 vehicles.

1. A 60's or 70's era British/Italian/Japanese pile of poo poo. Something like a Triumph Spitfire/TR6, Austin Healey 3000, or a Fiat 124 Spider. I'd love a Datsun Fairlady 2000 if I could find one. I'm also up for the sporty coupe style like a Jensen Interceptor or an Alfa Romeo Giulia or GTV. I absolutely loathe Alfa Spiders though.

2. A ludicrous hauler... I really just want a deuce-and-a-half honestly.

3. A lovely underpowered bike I can learn on and wrench on. Honda Nighthawk, Honda VF___, Yamaha XS___ come to mind.

AI, please weigh in. Let me know what you think of my horrible taste in cars, and give me an idea of why I'm an idiot for wanting ___ so I can ignore you and buy it anyways. If there's an obvious car/bike I'm missing let me know.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Adiabatic posted:

:siren: Also, might as well bring this up. :siren:

After I finish this rebuild and break it in I'm going to sell it. What I get with that money I haven't figured out yet, but I know I want at least 3 vehicles.

1. A 60's or 70's era British/Italian/Japanese pile of poo poo. Something like a Triumph Spitfire/TR6, Austin Healey 3000, or a Fiat 124 Spider. I'd love a Datsun Fairlady 2000 if I could find one. I'm also up for the sporty coupe style like a Jensen Interceptor or an Alfa Romeo Giulia or GTV. I absolutely loathe Alfa Spiders though.

2. A ludicrous hauler... I really just want a deuce-and-a-half honestly.

3. A lovely underpowered bike I can learn on and wrench on. Honda Nighthawk, Honda VF___, Yamaha XS___ come to mind.

AI, please weigh in. Let me know what you think of my horrible taste in cars, and give me an idea of why I'm an idiot for wanting ___ so I can ignore you and buy it anyways. If there's an obvious car/bike I'm missing let me know.

I have a S2000 in the same colour:) Why in the world are you getting rid of it?

Suggestions? Well it's a bit later than the 70's but how about one of these
http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=161&i=26637
or if you must have 70's
http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=161&i=25923

Failing that there's always the classic MGB

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Jut posted:

I have a S2000 in the same colour:) Why in the world are you getting rid of it?

Suggestions? Well it's a bit later than the 70's but how about one of these
http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=161&i=26637
or if you must have 70's
http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=161&i=25923

Failing that there's always the classic MGB

I've had it for 6 years and I'm bored with it. Nothing wrong with them though :)

I also now regret asking for opinions. Those two rovers British things I know nothing about are ugly as sin and probably not available here in Virginia.

I'm talking either Pininfarina-styled roadster or short squat fastback with not bubbly but not notchy looks. Naw mean?

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 27, 2012

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:ohdear:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/3500758681.html

I think I may have just fallen in love.

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.

Insert I hope you like Lucas electrics joke here, but man, man oh man is that pretty. In the shape that's in you could do a resto-mod and put in a reliable electrical system, even!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The gt6 is beautiful I agree. A 2.5 tonner will be helpful for carrying it around when it breaks :haw:

Also Jut has the worst taste in "classic" cars.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Cakefool posted:

The gt6 is beautiful I agree. A 2.5 tonner will be helpful for carrying it around when it breaks :haw:

Also Jut has the worst taste in "classic" cars.

I was going for the 'something different yet affordable' approach. Don't knock the SD1 though, it's a big brute of a car that goes like stink when you put your foot down.

MGBs are bad?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Gt6s look really nice, but they're basically a lovely British sedan underneath. They went through at least a couple of rear suspension revisions, one being much worse then the other...

Fairladys are Japanese copies of British crap. Parts are hard to find, especially on a 2000 roadster.

What about a Z car?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Eh... too many people around me have had a Z. Seems like the "go-to" answer and I don't like that. Same reason why I don't want an MGB and a Spitfire is iffy.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Adiabatic posted:

Eh... too many people around me have had a Z. Seems like the "go-to" answer and I don't like that. Same reason why I don't want an MGB and a Spitfire is iffy.

If I may suggest an alternative. :q:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Wow, that Sonett II is ridiculously beautiful.

EDIT: The 50's one is the prettiest but I bet you can't find them anywhere :\ Actually I can't find the II's anywhere either...

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 27, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Adiabatic posted:

Wow, that Sonett II is ridiculously beautiful.

EDIT: The 50's one is the prettiest but I bet you can't find them anywhere :\ Actually I can't find the II's anywhere either...

You can find a few IIs around, but the III is a lot more common. Forget about the 50s builds, there were only a handful made.

I saw a II for sale on a website on the east coast for under $10k in beautiful shape a few months ago, but I can't remember who or where. They handled restored classic cars, and I was surprised at how cheap it was, considering their usual inventory.

You can check here every few weeks, but post-holidays, it's nearly entirely empty. Three months ago there were at least 10 IIIs for sale in various states.

I know there was a SAAB person in Red Lodge, MT, who wanted to sell two carcasses (plenty to fix one up and spare parts) back in July, but I have no idea who/how to contact them.

Jack might know where you can find one. He'll also be your best resource, should you be nutty enough to do so.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jut posted:

I was going for the 'something different yet affordable' approach. Don't knock the SD1 though, it's a big brute of a car that goes like stink when you put your foot down.

MGBs are bad?

No, I love MGBs (they have their faults) but the sd1 (although a straight line monster) is only effective at turning petrol into noise and would have its rear end handed to it in the land of the v8. The Firenza calls to a very specific type of person - someone who wants a fancy viva.

I'm kidding mainly, I wouldn't have thought of suggesting either of those to an American.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
Ok I have a stupid question...sorry for the thread hijack but you are a S2000 owner and all.

Here it goes, and yes I feel like a retard.

Oil: I check my oil every time I fill up, the engine is usually warm and the dipstick shows halfway between low and high.

It's currently winter and the car has been standing for a month or so in the garage. Today I turned the engine over and checked the oil only to see it below the 'Low' mark. There is no oil on the ground, and I'm not sure which reading (the one I took a few weeks ago, or the one tonight) is correct.
Before you ask, yes i do wipe the stick before taking my reading!

If it is indeed low and needs a top up, which flavour oil should I add? Does it matter if I'm not using the exact same type as the service stations?

Yours sincerely
A Retard.

Edit: How about a Mk1 Capri?

Jut fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 27, 2012

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Rule of thumb: if there are any discrepancies when measuring your oil level, always use the lowest measurement.

Just use the oil the manual recommends 5W40 if you're in a colder climate, and 10W30 (I think? You should double check that) if you're in a warmer climate. Synthetic is nice if you can afford it.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

whiskas posted:

Rule of thumb: if there are any discrepancies when measuring your oil level, always use the lowest measurement.

Just use the oil the manual recommends 5W40 if you're in a colder climate, and 10W30 (I think? You should double check that) if you're in a warmer climate. Synthetic is nice if you can afford it.

Doesn't overfilling lead to damage too?

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Yes it does, I believe the difference between the full mark and low mark is about 1 quart. So pour half a quart in there, give it a few minutes to make it into the pan and see where you're at.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Grass is always greener and all, but If I had an S2K i don't think I could sell it :ohdear:

what are you looking for for it

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It is indeed going to be incredibly hard to part with. :smith:

14k roundabouts. 93k miles, new factory paint, nice tear in the top in the usual spot behind the passenger window, perfect interior. Will be replacing the top in lieu of dropping the price.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Jut posted:

Edit: How about a Mk1 Capri?

This is what a troll looks like, right?

EDIT: Oh a mk1. Not bad, but GT6 is still the apple of my eye.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 28, 2012

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Adiabatic posted:

This is what a troll looks like, right?

EDIT: Oh a mk1. Not bad, but GT6 is still the apple of my eye.

mk1 is nice:)

How much do fix-er-uppers on E-types go for over there? Looked at any of the classic Lotuses?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Emailed the GT6 ad to a coworker, a 60 year old dude that's head of R&D at the tech center I work at. He had this to say (Read in a Rip Torn voice):

Semi-unrelated, he says he used to tear down these:

http://www.enginehistory.org/German/BMW/BMW801.pdf

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Plan on a custom or aftermarket rewire if you go British. Every 1940-60's British car we have had is cursed with electrical gremlins. The most reliable by far, and least driven, is our 62 MGA.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

the spyder posted:

Plan on a custom or aftermarket rewire if you go British. Every 1940-60's British car we have had is cursed with electrical gremlins. The most reliable by far, and least driven, is our 62 MGA.

God, I forgot about the MGA...Get one of these...

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
I've got an MGB, 1971. No electrical problems so far, but it was totally rebuilt in the late 90s. That said, MGs are (anecdotally said to be) far and away more reliable than Triumphs and many other British cars, possibly because they've usually been owned by adenoidal trainspotters called Norman who never take them out of insulated garages unless it's for a "rally" down to Brighton and back at 40 mph on a warm day, which is bad for fun and hooning, but good for lack of rust.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Is there any chance you'll stay with Japan?

I understand Z cars are common, but what about a Datsun Roadster? You seem mechanically inclined enough to install an SR20DET if that's your thing.

There have been a few on Colorado Craigslist so it's been on my mind.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh god I need it

Edit: :stare: http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/3441408196.html

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 29, 2012

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Crank back from the machine shop:

And all the pieces headed there:

Meatpimp try not to be jealous of my 1993 Civic engine hauler :smug:

In other news the girlfriend is trying to get me to cook stuff with her.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
In that case, I'll leave this here:
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/3460421272.html

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Those little fairladies are awesome.

Since we're all thowing in our pet suggestions if you want something bulletproof reliable and easy to work on with semi-decent support, may I suggest... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_P1800

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
An MGB has the advantage of a truly colossal aftermarket, you can pretty much get everything for them. A Spitfire or GT6 would be a good option, but I prefer the look of the TR6, though they do cost more. The MGA is going to be more expensive and slightly harder to restore than a B, but I do think they're a bit prettier. A Sprite or a Midget is worth looking at, too.

A Jensen Interceptor would be awesome, but take everything you've heard about always buying the best-condition car you can find and double it. A rough one would cost you a crazy amount of time to sort out, and wouldn't be cheap.

What about a Jensen Healey?

Or an Austin Healey? Though they can be pricey.

If you're more interested in having the look of a sixties car, but don't want to give up modern-car reliability (I appreciate the irony of that statement in your case right now), what about one of the Miata-based body conversions or kit cars?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I do like that Jensen Healey but man nothing comes close to the GT6 or the Datsun Roadster, aside from maybe a TR6.

I'm really intrigued on the whole "stuff a modern engine in a beautiful 60s body" idea. I really really like the SR20 Datsun Roadster idea mentioned above. I wonder if an LSx would fit in a Triumph...

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
OK, keeping the unusual theme, how about a TVR? Wait. come back and look at these beauties

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_Grantura

But good luck finding one...

A Vixen may be findable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_Vixen

Failing that a Chimera has retro looks and is a absolute beast.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Absolutely love TVRs. You're on the right track now Jut.

Unfortunately they're nowhere to be found around here. Whenever I look for them its either ludicrously expensive, barely better than a shell, or some homegrown redneck conversion.

EDIT: Or it's a godawful 280I from the 80's :barf:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
A TVR is also getting beyond "electrics might fail" into "absolutely will catch fire forever, starting with your extinguisher" territory, from what I've heard.

• Locked thread