Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Adiabatic posted:

Absolutely love TVRs. You're on the right track now Jut.

Unfortunately they're nowhere to be found around here. Whenever I look for them its either ludicrously expensive, barely better than a shell, or some homegrown redneck conversion.

EDIT: Or it's a godawful 280I from the 80's :barf:

I was drooling over a Cerbera earlier today, they are cheap as chips in the UK with £10-12k fetching you a nice one. The only problem is that I now live in Romania and there is an illegal pollution tax for importing cars from the EU which would add 5-6k onto the cost, otherwise I would drive my S2000 over to the UK and drive back with a shiny TVR next week. God I want one so bad.
Shame they never made it over to the US in large numbers:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What about Sunbeam Tigers? I've always wanted one after seeing a mint example in the flesh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunbeam_Tiger

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jut posted:

The only problem is that I now live in Romania

Did you end up driving the Transylvanian highway? I don't remember what happened to your thread.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Out of all the options discussed, I think a datsun is going to be the easiest to live with. The only real problems with them is rust. The electronics are good, the mechanics simple and reliable, and parts are available. Let's see a roadster!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

leica posted:

What about Sunbeam Tigers? I've always wanted one after seeing a mint example in the flesh.

drat how did I forget about those. Gorgeous car. I'll be on the lookout for one of those as well now.

In other news, should have everything back from the machine shop around Wednesday or Thursday!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just out of curiosity I checked craigslist for Sunbeams:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/3504769973.html

Needs a restoration but looks good. I have no idea if that's a fair price however.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That is a lot of money for a project.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

kimbo305 posted:

Did you end up driving the Transylvanian highway? I don't remember what happened to your thread.

Yea, it was raining and a bit miserable. The road to be quite honest is a piece of poo poo and it's more than a little scary when you come around a barrier-less hairpin with a huge drop on one side, to see a shepard walking a flock of sheep along the road.
Oh and we were witness to an accident which killed 3 people...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Adiabatic posted:

That is a lot of money for a project.

..Nash Metro?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What about this nice runner instead?:
http://bringatrailer.com/2012/12/29/1967-mgb-gt-5-speed
Not a GT6, but seems pretty nice for the price.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If there's no rust that's a bargain.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

If there's no rust that's a bargain.
Yeah. That gearbox conversion alone costs about $4k.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Furiously waiting for the machine shop to be done inspecting everything so I can put this engine back together and sell it off.

Yeah that MGB is pretty.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

What about this nice runner instead?:
http://bringatrailer.com/2012/12/29/1967-mgb-gt-5-speed
Not a GT6, but seems pretty nice for the price.

Ahhh the MGB GT. Was going to suggest this. And you can put V8's in them.
http://www.britishracecar.com/keithburnett-mg-mgbgtv8.htm

Still a fan of the Datsun 2000 with something else in it ideas though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

extreme_accordion posted:

Ahhh the MGB GT. Was going to suggest this. And you can put V8's in them.
http://www.britishracecar.com/keithburnett-mg-mgbgtv8.htm

Still a fan of the Datsun 2000 with something else in it ideas though.
When your wife wants a small British car with a big V8 in it, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7D0gPZEMP0

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 3, 2013

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:stare:

So I guess I'm gonna do an engine swap on a 60s era british roadster then.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

InitialDave posted:

If you're more interested in having the look of a sixties car, but don't want to give up modern-car reliability (I appreciate the irony of that statement in your case right now), what about one of the Miata-based body conversions or kit cars?

What is this? With the right engine I feel like that's something I could drive forever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's a Jim Simpson Italia II GTC body on an NA Miata.

http://www.simpsondesign.net/italia2_gtc_promo.html

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Adiabatic posted:

:stare:

So I guess I'm gonna do an engine swap on a 60s era british roadster then.

Please don't.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Octopus Magic posted:

Please don't.

Why do you hate fun? :colbert::respek::911:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

Please don't.

:frogout:

In other news, poo poo's coming back from the machine shop today. I'm travelling to Michigan this weekend so expect legit updates like Tuesday or Wednesday.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Beach Bum posted:

Why do you hate fun? :colbert::respek::911:

Because it's a stupid excuse that everyone has to pretend they're Carroll Shelby.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Octopus Magic posted:

Because it's a stupid excuse that everyone has to pretend they're Carroll Shelby.

Everybody who puts a V8 into ~a car~ thinks their Carroll Shelby?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with pretending to be Carroll Shelby?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Look what I founded you..

The problem is that the guy is in Trollhättan..

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

As a certified British person, allow me to say: engine swaps are cool with us, go for it. Don't get killed.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Cakefool posted:

As a certified British person, allow me to say: engine swaps are cool with us, go for it. Don't get killed.

As a certified British person, allow me to say, don't do it! It's been done before too many times with the MGB

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

As a certified Alabama Man®, do it. It's just a damned car. I'd rather see a car actually enjoyed and driven than sitting.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Adiabatic posted:

2. A ludicrous hauler... I really just want a deuce-and-a-half honestly.

Ahem.

The looks you get in traffic are priceless. Bonus: it runs on anything from used motor oil to jet fuel.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Picked up everything from the machine shop today! The pistons look beautiful compared to the carbon-deposited crap I gave to them, and everything else came out great too. The decks on the head and block are square and flat, no machining required.

Shout out to Carl at Napa's machine shop on Chamberlayne Ave in Richmond, VA. Guy knows his stuff and is super nice. He was really interested with the design of the motor and we had some decent conversation about it.

A better update and some pictures are due tomorrow or Wednesday after I finally have some time to work on it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I can't tell if I love or hate the hatch this guy put on, but it comes with the old one...

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/3454249207.html

Seriously keeping my eye on that particular ad.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wouldn't own a car that was previously owned by someone who makes a stylistic choice like that. Nightshade and stickers are my limit.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

While I get where you're coming from, he's detailed a huge list of replaced parts. He might just be an engineer.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

leica posted:

There was an AI goon who was doing up a Sunbeam Alpine. I wonder what happened to that project

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

While I get where you're coming from, he's detailed a huge list of replaced parts. He might just be an engineer.

And the original hatch still comes with it. I dunno, seems a little expensive to me but it's not like these cars are getting any cheaper.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Oh snap, a central VA AI goon? I'm just north of Richmond.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Moxie Omen posted:

Oh snap, a central VA AI goon? I'm just north of Richmond.

I'm in Shockoe Bottom currently. I'm actually looking around for a place to rent around Richmond with a ton of garage space and a small living quarters. Putting this on Craigslist brings interesting accents to my phone.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

I'm in Shockoe Bottom currently. I'm actually looking around for a place to rent around Richmond with a ton of garage space and a small living quarters. Putting this on Craigslist brings interesting accents to my phone.

Sweet, my office is right across the river in Manchester and I'm living in Ashland. I'm actually going to be looking to lease some workshop space this coming spring.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Words to live by. Words to die by. One of the race cars I pit for was 'race ready' by an engineer. Yeah. Not so much.

This looks like a great example to pick up though for a decent price. As someone else said, not getting any cheaper either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Adiabatic posted:

For you my friend, I will make nice, special price.

Viggen posted:

Look what I founded you..

That is one of the coolest looking thing's i have seen in awhile.

• Locked thread