Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Adiabatic posted:

Thanks skyline!

It's a bunch of things...

I bought the S2000 with autocross and track days and all that in mind. I found out I don't like racing cars nearly as much as I like building and repairing them. The S2000 never breaks down (unless you don't check the oil, obviously).

Beater cars and non-pristine cars are a lot less stress than something you have to constantly check for dings and park way out in the middle of nowhere. The monetary value and the value I put on a car are way different. I like AI because they seem to have this same mentality.

I also can never decide what I want, and so I'm going to rent a garage/lot and buy some cheap stuff, see what I like, sell the rest off. Maybe make some extra cash if I get lucky. Thoughts currently keep cycling through a swapped E30, a Triumph GT6/Spitfire or something small and horribly british, a motorcycle I can learn on like a Honda Nighthwk, and a deuce-and-a-half.

It's more the journey than the result, currently.

For some context I've owned my AP2 for the last 18 months or so. It's an '07 with 64,xxx miles on the completely bonex-stock drivetrain. I had the s2000 in the corner of my mind since high school due to the build quality, perfection, styling, and other factors. I used to autocross my 240sx's and MR2 turbos and naturally thought that I would throw it into overdrive when I got an s2000 but like you that hasn't been the case. I've found that I much prefer making a car fast and going fast but not necessarily beating it up racing competitively. You're right that the s2000 never breaks down which can be frustrating for someone that likes to wrench, but my last daily driver was a 300zx tt and I spent my fair number of weekends pulling the intake manifold and other poo poo to replace dead parts. There's a lot to be said for the peace of mind that comes with having a reliable car.

That being said, an s2000 by all accounts is just another used car. I drive my car like a daily driver because that's what it is. I take it to redline every time I drive it (literally), the top is down 95% of the time (hard rain withstanding) and it goes everywhere. My car isn't a beater or beat up by any means but like they say in Fight Club, even the Mona Lisa is falling apart. There is no reason to park an S2000 at the back of a parking lot or freak out over door dings. My car was 24k used which is still less than a brand new BRZ. There are lots of way to tinker with and wrench on s2000 to keep from getting bored. Why not keep the s2000 and buy a $500-$1000 bike to wrench on?

Whatever you do, please don't try to over-sell the current state of the car. You can sell people all day on a mint interior, well-kept exterior, and even a new top, but people can't physically see the extent of your repairs. They are dependent on you being up-front and honest about the work. I don't think there is a lot of confidence in that motor given the tolerances required to keep it together after constant abuse and it would be a disservice to a potential buyer to over-state the reliability or work performed on the engine. Terms like blueprinting and other Craigslist buffs don't really sell honesty. I think I'm partially sensitive to this because the previous owner of my Z hosed me similarly. There's nothing like "all new injectors" actually being "one new injector and five used ones from an N/A." Just have a conscience when you sell your car is I guess what I'm trying to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Adiabatic posted:

Also going to go look at a 2000 Suzuki SV650 tomorrow...

Edit: taking suggestions on cheap 90s/2000s era ~600cc V-twins good for learning on.

Stick with the SV, I loved mine :). Congrats on getting it running! I can't wait for you to give the all-clear when you bring it up to real rpms :).

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Keep both. I badly miss my sv650s but I'd miss my s2000 far more.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Congrats on keeping up with the thread and trying to move forward but gently caress man, slow down and take a second when you're doing repairs. You frequently talk about having the itch to move to your next automotive project but you're never going to find satisfaction until you focus on what's in front of you rather than thinking ahead. Most of the stuff you've had problems with are the result of jumping into something without making a plan, without doing significant research, and employing friends that don't have a clue what they're doing. You trashed a perfectly good motor (f series engines regularly see 150k+ miles before any kind of problem) then upon installation of a new motor experienced a whole crop of new post-installation problems. I searched on s2ki and couldn't find any examples of people with vtec solenoids popping out after a rebuild. If your friend can't install something as rudimentary as bolts between the header and the cat he probably shouldn't be doing much on your car. s2000's are generally bulletproof and none of the problems that you have experienced happen at such volume and with such frequency. If this wasn't an s2000 you'd be getting crushed right now. Who am I to tell you what to do though? I just don't want to see you keep dropping lots of cash when you likely don't need to.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Adiabatic posted:

Either help me diagnose the vibration or shut the gently caress up and goonsay somewhere else.

Welcome to the SomethingAwful Forums :allears:.

Have you checked your secondary shafts? The whirring is common to them, especially if you've hosed with the gearbox and drive shaft a number of times. I literally spent five minutes googling your symptoms.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/691420-secondary-shaft-bearing-replacement/

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/814474-tail-shaft-removal/

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/193376-tailshaft-bearing-noise/

You can diagnose this by removing the drive shaft and checking the output shaft from the transmission for play.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Adiabatic posted:

Jesus Christ how did I miss that. Gonna go check end play.

Good luck man, I really hope that's it. Apparently you can replace the bearings without having to drop the transmission so there's that!

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

AcidRonin posted:

Well at least now i know what my next tattoo should be.

Goon tattooist Toast Face Killah would make a world-class example of this.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

West SAAB Story posted:

Is it still too early to make a backtiger joke? :ohdear:

Backpanther?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Savington posted:

"You guys, I think I'm out of the woods" - The Adiabatic Story

This is the most appropriate thread title in the history of AI.

• Locked thread