Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This is indeed pretty awesome.

However, as far as the "wear on cams" bit... :gonk: I'm approaching 170k on the original engine in my car and the cams look brand new compared to that. I would definitely have someone at least look at them, and probably budget for either regrinding or replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

whiskas posted:

Basically any DOHC VTEC engine that Honda makes will burn a little bit of oil while in VTEC.

Fixed. Both of my Civics had a healthy appetite for oil..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Adiabatic posted:

:wtf: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :wtf:

Well that would certainly contribute to the oil burning :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That could have easily happened during shipping.

:10bux: for a new PCV valve (which you should be swapping anyway), swap the sensor (cam position sensor?) over from the dead motor, done. Struggling to see what's wrong in the first photo, but I've never touched an S2k..

I'd probably swap the front and rear crank seals before it goes in, especially if it's been sitting awhile. Probably the oil pan gasket too.

e: VVV I started thinking about that too, but he has a perfectly good one from his current engine to use if he needs to.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 17, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You could always pull the pan, then pull the bearing caps to evaluate wear. If you want to be super paranoid, toss some oil in it, toss a starter on it, and check compression.

Didn't know they'd gone to liquid gaskets - everything except the head gasket and valve cover was RTV from the factory on my last car (99 Nissan Altima), drove me loving nuts every time I had to do anything. Especially on the water pump (which was a PITA to get to anyway). Even the loving transmission was Permatex Gray on everything except axle seals and the seal on the shifter rod... :argh:

What makes the rear main so difficult? 2 piece seal? (again, coming from someone who's never touched an S2k, but worked on plenty of mid 80s-early 00s Hondas)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Adiabatic posted:

IOWNCALCULUS THAT IS NOT WHAT I HAD IN MIND WHEN I SAID "HAVE FUN WITH IT"

:arghfist:

I laughed way, way too hard at the new title. :golfclap:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

leica posted:

Apparently they don't like angry outbursts that sounds like someone with tourette syndrome on crack.

Fun fact: I actually have Tourette's. :v:

Not in the "gently caress YOU AND gently caress YOUR MOTHER AND gently caress gently caress gently caress poo poo gently caress THIS poo poo YOU gently caress" way (you know, the same mindset cats go into when they see a shelf full of expensive stuff and start knocking everything over), more in the weird twitch way. :unsmith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Granite Octopus posted:

I saw ~30 new posts and was excited to see some progress...

Just terrible :(

~50 posts for me.

"How does a post about a car that's running fine have so many new po... oh :smithicide: "

:glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fucknag was the last to be struck by the MazdaCurse <tm>, if memory serves correctly.

• Locked thread