Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cloud Potato posted:

Brit thread bonus: Paul Thomas:

Taken from this collection.

Baffling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

onoflalks posted:

That dog is loving crying.

This cartoon is mental. What does the tattoo say after Mother?!

I took it to say motherhood.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I want a tat sleeve designed by Paul Thomas.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

onoflalks posted:

That dog is loving crying.

This cartoon is mental. What does the tattoo say after Mother?!

Motherhugger, obviously.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Britain sending troops to Afghanistan – The UK confirmed on Monday it sent a modest contingent of British military advisers to Helmand at the weekend to support overstretched Afghan forces"

Telegraph:

EU exit could lead to break up of UK, says Lord Hague

Independent:

Times:

Oxford college considers removing Rhodes statue

Mail:
MAC on...Christmas time at customs

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of detail in that sleeve, must have taken him ages with the felt tips.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

gently caress off, Mac.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Cloud Potato posted:

Brit thread bonus: Paul Thomas:

A snowman being wanked off into a depressed dogs dribbling maw.

Broken britain indeed!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It seriously looks like they're drawing a christmas jumper on it. And are they meant to be kids? Has Paul Thomas ever seen a tattoo? So many questions!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

baka kaba posted:

It seriously looks like they're drawing a christmas jumper on it. And are they meant to be kids? Has Paul Thomas ever seen a tattoo? So many questions!

Christmas is such a wonderful time of year, it brings together all people. Kids, dwarf skinheads, a brown person, dogs, badgers, everyone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'd say don't forget the fox, but its head seems to have frozen into solid ice :ohdear:

:rip:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I miss Paul Thomas' awful, awful cartoons

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Imagine a tide of tiny immigrants running into Europe/Britain/a polite cafe forever and you have the last three months.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

A Paul Thomas cartoon generator would be pretty easy to make once you went to the effort of isolating his four or five recurring background scenes and the identikit parts that make up his characters

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the continuing refugee crisis – In the latest incident, Greek authorities say a small plastic boat carrying migrants from Turkey to Europe sank and at least 13 people, mostly children, drowned"

Telegraph:

Independent:

EU exit could lead to break up of UK, says Lord Hague

Times:

UK growth estimate revised down to 0.4% for third quarter

Brit thread bonus Guardian Sport:

Merry Christmas, thread. See you after the festivities.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bahahahaha the economic destruction of the UK by the Tories is so cute!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The tiny present is going straight on George's fire anyway. An accurate cartoon.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardians:

US stops British Muslim family from boarding flight to visit Disneyland

In pictures: Second day of flooding across northern England

Telegraph:

Independents:

God knows, I can't read that "After" label.

Jeremy Corbyn to dismiss 'disloyal' shadow ministers in New Year reshuffle

Timeses:

Mail:
Mac on... shopping online for Christmas

We three kings of Orient are. Bearing gifts we've travelled so far...'

Stephen Collins:

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Independents:

God knows, I can't read that "After" label.

untitled triptych by Francis Bacon (1973)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Nominations for the annual Gay Abortions are open, while there isn't a category for "Most Pointless Use Of Homage To Show Off The Cartoonist's Knowledge Of Art History" I'm sure our British cartoonists can still manage to be terrible in the existing ones in their own special way.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... shopping online for Christmas
This would be more topical if drones were delivering the gifts.

Y'know, those predator ones.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think Mac's Tom Jones one for Least Concealed Bigotry (Racism) in a Cartoon. There must be some other Mac for Least Concealed Bigotry (LGBT) in a Cartoon. The Observer one with Trump for Worst Labels. I don't really want to trawl the Sun archives before they all rallied around they dead boy but they must have some poo poo for Worst Refugee Crisis Cartoon.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Lynton Crosby's knighthood – David Cameron has been accused of undermining the honours system after it emerged that Lynton Crosby, the political strategist behind the Conservatives’ election campaign, is set to receive a knighthood in the New Year honours list"

Telegraph:

After Hokusai.

Independent:

UK floods: Storm Frank threatens more misery

Times:

Guardian Sport:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on David Cameron's response to the floods – The prime minister’s rhetoric regarding the flooding in the north of England has come under scrutiny"

Also: Steve Bell's top five cartoons of the year.

Telegraph:

Jeremy Corbyn 'could face frontbench resignations if he sacks Hilary Benn in reshuffle' After Mr. Benn.

Independent:

Obituary: Lemmy, Motorhead frontman

Times:

Mail:
The magic of Mac! A salute to the Mail's peerless cartoonist whose comic genius brightened up a gloomy year

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

January - I wish this were the Daily Mail office

February - ACAB

March - Scottish tits, drawn by a Scottish tit.

April - How the gently caress did Colin drill that hole then steal the big drill? Conclusion: our everyman protagonist drilled those holes himself, to perv on his neighbours. No wonder they're upset.

May - Hateful Poors Count: 8. Shout out to 'Chips + chips'.

June - illegal immigrant stereotypes are also clowns.

July - That bra belongs to one of those women, possibly the one who wore panties over a thong.

August - Syrian refugees coming to this country had better be good at cricket.

September - George Harrison is the real Beetle. Also jesus gently caress, look at this cartoon. I'm sure we all remember the cover of Help! and its depiction of the Beatles leaping into the air and shouting the name of the album. Was this really the 'best' of September?

October - Prince Philip is in the doghouse.

November - Submarines are huge black turds? Probably his best of the year which isn't saying much.

December - Gravity in space? Also, let's murder the anthropomorphised turkey!

I hope next year Mac is just as light hearted and whimsical! The Mail must spend a fortune printing all those black voids.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cloud Potato posted:

Jeremy Corbyn 'could face frontbench resignations if he sacks Hilary Benn in reshuffle
I don't know why it took until seeing this written that suddenly it all makes sense to me, the whole Corbyn planning a reshuffle even though Corbyn has been completely out of contact over the holidays rumours. What a tremendous way of building up Hilary Benn further, he has a lot of the shadow cabinet behind him!

I still struggle to believe this utter nonsense was getting so much play but it all makes much more sense. The Labour right really are much better at playing the press game than the Labour left, the Labour left are basically a big hammer, very little subtly involved. Where as this, assuming the "leaks" have come from the sort of people I'd expect, is dirty & also very clever.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Even if it's not about promoting Benn, it's the classic trick of building up expectations about your opponent. Now if he doesn't reshuffle Benn (or anyone really) it can be painted as CORBYN FORCED TO BACK DOWN, even if he never intended to do it in the first place

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Tom Watson said in the Guardian he's not aware of a reshuffle. It may not even be a thing. Anonymous sources unreliable. Big shock.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Fans posted:

Tom Watson said in the Guardian he's not aware of a reshuffle. It may not even be a thing. Anonymous sources unreliable. Big shock.

Tomorrow's sun headline: Undemocratic Tyrant Corbyn Dolchstoßes Deputy.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

The first episode of the thick of it, is Malcolm sacking someone because of all the rumours about him going to sack him. They're trying to force Corbyn into sacking people effectively. The press want a labour civil war and their going to make it happen.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Lol if you don't think at least half of Labour don't also want a Labour civil war too.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A real civil war would be better.

Hail Satan.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kegluneq posted:

January - I wish this were the Daily Mail office

February - ACAB

March - Scottish tits, drawn by a Scottish tit.

April - How the gently caress did Colin drill that hole then steal the big drill? Conclusion: our everyman protagonist drilled those holes himself, to perv on his neighbours. No wonder they're upset.

May - Hateful Poors Count: 8. Shout out to 'Chips + chips'.

June - illegal immigrant stereotypes are also clowns.

July - That bra belongs to one of those women, possibly the one who wore panties over a thong.

August - Syrian refugees coming to this country had better be good at cricket.

September - George Harrison is the real Beetle. Also jesus gently caress, look at this cartoon. I'm sure we all remember the cover of Help! and its depiction of the Beatles leaping into the air and shouting the name of the album. Was this really the 'best' of September?

October - Prince Philip is in the doghouse.

November - Submarines are huge black turds? Probably his best of the year which isn't saying much.

December - Gravity in space? Also, let's murder the anthropomorphised turkey!

I hope next year Mac is just as light hearted and whimsical! The Mail must spend a fortune printing all those black voids.

I'll be quite honest, the average of those twelve Macs is better than the average of those five Bells. Part of it is that Bell chose some cartoons that weren't his best work while there were only two or three stinkers in Mac's list but a lot of it is that Bell really isn't above "a thing happened, also I have artistic talent." Mac will pretty much always at least try to include a joke.

All pale before the horribly unfunny Riddell when it comes to lack of a joke though.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Cliff Racer posted:

I'll be quite honest, the average of those twelve Macs is better than the average of those five Bells.

I came away with the same feeling, especially after reading a lot of Bell's back catalogue [belltoons.co.uk] over the holiday. (Blown away.So good. Inspired nightmares.)

He spent all his years in office tearing into Charles (Inexplicably "Chuckybum?") Kennedy only to do a maudlin obit cartoon of the libdem yellow bird flying into the sunset? Not funny, not interesting.

Admittedly it has been a rough year (doubly so for cartoonists), but has Bell been broken? He always seemed so enthusiastic in those process videos the Guardian sometimes posted, but if his "best of" is this phoned in...

edited to add:

hell, have another one for no reason... Chucky Stardust with bonus Paislorissey.

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 31, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It doesn't help that it's actually Aladdin Sane either.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Oliver Letwin's comments on 1985 riots – Oliver Letwin has apologised after he helped ward off cabinet pleas for assistance for black unemployed youth following the 1985 inner-city riots with the argument that any help would only end up in the “disco and drug trade”"

Telegraph:

UK floods: Moment Tadcaster bridge collapsed

Independent:

Thatcher fears over Aids awareness campaign revealed

Times:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

nobodyssweetheart posted:

Admittedly it has been a rough year (doubly so for cartoonists), but has Bell been broken? He always seemed so enthusiastic in those process videos the Guardian sometimes posted, but if his "best of" is this phoned in...

I haven't posted If... in weeks but it's just been more lukewarm Star Wars parodies with little or no relevance to actual events, we've just had Corbyn rescuing the Queen from being sold to the Saudi royal family by Osborne ffs

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/series/if

I love Bell at his best but he's been awful these last few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Time to make this official. New thread here. Aus toons still welcome, despite the title; but I don't think any have been posted in here in the past six months, so.

• Locked thread