Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The one on junior doctors could easily be recent Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Maybe I'm missing the subtext but they don't seem that bad for something out of the Daily Express.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Corbyn and Cameron agree on Syria – Chris Riddell on the party leaders’ approach to British foreign policy"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent on Sunday:

This is definitely threatening my way of life in that my way of life generally involves being able to sleep at night.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Paladinus posted:

The one on junior doctors could easily be recent Mac.

To be fair I thought it came across as sympathetic - the doctor is clearly exhausted, rather than lazy, although no other patients are visible - and the acid is in the subtitle ('Junior doctors overworked, according to junior doctors').

Kurtofan posted:

Maybe I'm missing the subtext but they don't seem that bad for something out of the Daily Express.
Giles was fairly soft right, poking fun at social institutions and traditional British life. He was markedly less racist and prone to sneering towards the poor than Mac even then though.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Kegluneq posted:

Giles was fairly soft right, poking fun at social institutions and traditional British life. He was markedly less racist and prone to sneering towards the poor than Mac even then though.

Very soft right, apparently:

Wikipedia posted:

In 1937, Giles started work as a cartoonist for the left-wing Sunday newspaper Reynolds News, for which he drew a weekly topical cartoon and a comic strip, "Young Ernie". His strip came to the attention of the editor of the Sunday Express and in 1943 he was interviewed for a job on the Evening Standard, but was eventually offered a job on the Daily Express and Sunday Express instead, at a higher salary of 20 guineas per week, and he quit Reynolds News. His first cartoon for his new employers appeared in the 3 October 1943 edition of the Sunday Express.

Giles later said that he never agreed with the Daily Express‍ '​s politics, and felt guilt for abandoning the more left-wing Reynolds News for it, but it made him wealthy: by 1955 he was being paid £8,060 (about £140,405 today) for producing three cartoons a week.[3]

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Angepain posted:

Very soft right, apparently:

Think mildly conservative then, but with a lower case 'c'. There's a bit of the 'old maids biking to Holy Communion' about his work certainly. His cartoons are certainly more observational than political in tone anyway.

I think the thread might enjoy this punchline from Grandma, at least (sorry for the tiny picture).

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Well, now I want to unpack and re-read all my Giles books.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Did Giles ever comment on Mac completely copying his style? I imagine it must be like watching your son cut up the dog because he saw you carve the turkey.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I should chime in that growing up in french canada, one of my elder relatives had somehow been exposed to Giles and saw fit to buy each and every one of his yearly compilations. poo poo's great.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Nine of Eight posted:

I should chime in that growing up in french canada, one of my elder relatives had somehow been exposed to Giles and saw fit to buy each and every one of his yearly compilations. poo poo's great.

I'm Californian. I have almost all of the compilations, though I'm missing some of the earliest ones.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Jeremy Corbyn's opposition to airstrikes in Syria – Jeremy Corbyn has warned plotters against his leadership that he is ‘not going anywhere’ over his opposition to bombing Syria"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Jeremy Corbyn and Syria airstrikes – David Cameron to seek Commons support for bombing Isis after Labour leader agrees to give MPs a free vote"

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... The suspension of the junior doctors' strike

'Good news - the strike is off and we can see you a week on Friday'.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
OK, Mac doesn't know what the word junior means.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Squishy posted:

OK, Mac doesn't know what the word junior means.

Sounds rather foreign. Can't mean anything good, really.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Looks like a case for A&E tbh.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Why do people take the time to crop out the signatures?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Yet more internet problems, apologies all.

Events: Parliament voted to bomb Syria, Ken Livingstone did a Twitter thing????, the by-election in Oldham went Labour's way.

Guardians:

Telegraphs:

Independents:

Timeses:

Mails:
'Well he was David Cameron just before he stood up'

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

Mails:

These are not objectively hateful. Is Mac ok? Has Paul Dacre gone on holiday?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Not one but two good macs?? I'm suddenly worried The world is ending.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Were there Mac cartoons with speech bubbles before? Maybe it's an impostor.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Mac... good? I'm scared :ohdear:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Cloud Potato posted:

Mails:

poo poo some of these people even look like who they're supposed to look like. Maybe Mac's on new medication?

Edit: Or he's been given notice.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the French regional elections – In a year bracketed by the Charlie Hebdo and Bataclan terrorist atrocities, Front National has benefited from fear and anger and the craving for security"

Telegraph:

Jeremy Corbyn defends Stop the War Coalition

Independent:

Times:

Storm Desmond: Thousands of people flooded out of homes

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Trump noticed us!

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Donald Trump – Donald Trump wouldn’t be the first political figure to go from ridiculous to dangerous before the media and political elites realise the joke was on them"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on...the flooding crisis and Ronnie Wood's fatherhood

Mac on... The Archers doing Calendar Girls on radio for the very first time

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
A couple of good Macs, but he should really stop trying to do graffiti, especially the backwards swastika he does every single time.

"Glyn was here"

"Tottenham for the cup"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bloody classical Indus Valley people immigrating here and daubing their symbols over everything.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

The Tristram Hunt in this is loving brilliant.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Tony Blair and Labour – Tony Blair has said that everybody who wants a Labour government recognises “the tragedy of the Labour party’s current position”"

Telegraph:

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... Tyson Fury's latest controversy

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Rowson just tweeted this

Do you think the Graun will run it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mac advocating violence against police :allears:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Rowson just tweeted this

Do you think the Graun will run it?

That's loving grotesque and I love it :swoon:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

I think everything that could possibly fail in one person's internet connection has now failed, and been repaired. Can't be faffed doing the backlog, at least not tonight.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on benefit cuts – People facing cuts to their in-work benefits under the new universal credit system have been told they can ‘recoup losses’ by working an extra 200 hours"

Telegraph:

Fifa: Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini get eight-year bans; Miss Universe: Miss Colombia mistakenly crowned as winner

Independent:

Times:

Jeremy Corbyn's first 100 days: Guardian readers' verdict

Mail:

Brit thread bonus: Paul Thomas:

Taken from this collection.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wondered what the Jews had been up to for a start, but it's just more FIFA.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I should not that the Thomas contains both poop and pee, I wonder if he's bitterly added those to his animal repertoire after being fired.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Cloud Potato posted:

That's one hardcore snowman. The guy drawing the tattoos on the right has killed a man.

And the guy to his left is jacking the snowman off. No wonder it's happy.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Cloud Potato posted:

That dog is loving crying.

This cartoon is mental. What does the tattoo say after Mother?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
That girl on the right seems so sad she can't help because she's wearing boxing gloves.

• Locked thread