Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Fluo posted:

...A condom on Clegg? I'm confused, is there something I've missed in the news?

Along with talking about how he still wants to cut benefits for the wealthy, Clegg's been saying that the country should be thankful to the lib dems for all the heinous poo poo they stopped the conservatives from doing. This claim is ridiculed as Cameron's depicted as a mad axe-wielding bastard with Clegg a useless prophylaxis failing to stop the cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Along with talking about how he still wants to cut benefits for the wealthy, Clegg's been saying that the country should be thankful to the lib dems for all the heinous poo poo they stopped the conservatives from doing. This claim is ridiculed as Cameron's depicted as a mad axe-wielding bastard with Clegg a useless prophylaxis failing to stop the cuts.

Ohh, I like it. Good cartoon I think?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

A previously-unnamed tract of frozen land in the British Antarctic Territory has been named after the monarch. (Queen Elizabeth Land :suicide:).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20757382
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/dec/18/queen-attends-cabinet-meeting1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20770308
(These cover the cartoon news links.)

quote:

Twice the size of the United Kingdom, Queen Elizabeth Land is a strange, beautiful and dangerous world of towering mountains and infinite ice.

Torygraph:

Indy:

Daily Mail:

quote:

'Would you mind calling another Cabinet meeting? The quenn thinks it'll do wonders for insomnia'
Same as the torygraph / guardian story wise.

Also lol Daily Mail typo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Fluo posted:

Torygraph:

She's opposed to people with down's syndrome existing?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You realise the story you linked to is about the UKIP suspending a candidate because he wants mandatory abortion for Down's babies, right? It's exactly the opposite of what you're implying.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Jedit posted:

You realise the story you linked to is about the UKIP suspending a candidate because he wants mandatory abortion for Down's babies, right? It's exactly the opposite of what you're implying.

No it's not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OK, tell me how the Queen is indicating her support for eugenic eradication of Down's babies by voting for a party that just unequivocally opposed it?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
The comic is probably nothing more complicated than the Queen disliking the tories when she actually meets them and switching her vote to the nearest protest group, i.e. UKIP. It was probably drawn before the eugenics story.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Slightly odd considering the Queen isn't allowed to/ traditionally does not vote.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The link was really meant to be a "look at this" thing rather than an actual suggestion about the political and eugenic leanings of the queen.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

OK, tell me how the Queen is indicating her support for eugenic eradication of Down's babies by voting for a party that just unequivocally opposed it?

In the same way the BNP don't want to openly talk about thinking Hitler was an alright bloke, UKIP don't want to talk about how their members support Eugenics.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Jedit posted:

Not an answer to your question but the UKIP's initial response to this was "what's the big deal, he's just saying. incidentally he'd make an excellent councillor." Then when they realised people were much more offended by it than UKIP presumed they would be, THEN they suspended him.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Slightly odd considering the Queen isn't allowed to/ traditionally does not vote.

Just doesn't AFAIK. Anyway, "Cities of London and Westminster" is a pretty safe Tory seat so I doubt the Queen's protest vote for the Pirate Party made much difference in the last election.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

The Andrew Mitchell plebgate row.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Daily Mail:

quote:

‘Sorry, constable. But after your fib the only way to end this feud is to let Chief Whips do what Chief Whips do...’

All related today to plebgate.
(Article back in October) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19922026

The latest articles past couple of days.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/dec/19/plebgate-andrew-mitchell-police-conservatives
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/19/andrew-mitchell-the-facts-and-the-fuzz
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/dec/20/andrew-mitchell-pleb-row-arrest
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20764563
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20780584
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20764044

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

baseball cap: the new label??

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

For a far-right homophobe, that sure is a homoerotic cartoon.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

dimebag dinkman posted:

baseball cap: the new label??

That's obscure as a label, Riddell would have have MAYAN written along the side or something.

It's also quality.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

END OF THE WORLD CARTOON DAY, it seems. :suicide:
Torygraph:

Indy:

Daily :hitler::

quote:

‘Well honestly! I bet he won’t be nipping out to the service station buying her Christmas presents!’

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Fluo posted:

quote:

‘Well honestly! I bet he won’t be nipping out to the service station buying her Christmas presents!’

Mac is some sort of evil genius, able to insert his terrible opinions into anything. Seriously the tag line is just pointlessly antagonistic (such is the life of a daily mail contributor I guess).

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Fluo posted:

:laffo: oh the working class they're so funny.

If Mac ever reads this: Kill Yourself.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Mac sure does like giving people swastika tattoos.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Noreaus posted:

Mac sure does like giving people swastika tattoos.

This is clearly the gay gent from his hotel cartoon, now with a new partner and an adopted daughter.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I thought Chavs and skinheads were the main demographic that read the Daily Mail, why are the cartoons so antagonistic against them?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Plutonis posted:

I thought Chavs and skinheads were the main demographic that read the Daily Mail, why are the cartoons so antagonistic against them?

Nah, Poor conservatives prefer the daily star or the sun (or in happier times the news of the world). The daily mail is more your lower-middle class conservative paper. You know the kind of people who vote ukip, or worry about the EU giving rights to the wrong sort of people, or the fact that some of the people living on their street might be gay or ethnic minorities and won't somebody please think of the children!

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
The Daily Mail is targeted towards the sort of person who thinks pebble dashing is a good idea.*

*Before they find out it reduces the value of their house.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Many Liberal Democrats feel that they have no option but to stay on the chancellor's hard road of austerity

:unsmigghh:

Torygraph:

Indy:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Note that the sign on the Fur Cup identifies George Osborne as The Fearless Gideon. Osborne changed his name from Gideon to George when he was in his teens, claiming that he never liked it. However, a school friend recalls Osborne saying he changed his name because he didn't think the British people would elect a Prime Minister with an obviously Jewish name. (Clearly he forgot Benjamin Disraeli, who was born Jewish - and was also a Conservative.)

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Plutonis posted:

The people you've just named think the Daily Mail is a posh paper.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Plutonis posted:

It's the age old "pit the quite poor against the very poor" tactic.

Leonard Hatred
Dec 27, 2004
It's like a great big tide of jam. But jam made out of... old women.
I like this particularly choice quote from Gideon's Wikipedia article:

quote:

In 2009 when David Cameron was asked whether or not he would be willing to sack a close colleague such as Osborne, he stated, "With George, the answer is yes. He stayed in my shadow cabinet not because he is a friend, not because we are godfathers to each other's children but because he is the right person to do the job. I know and he knows that if that was not the case he would not be there. "[17]

Hmmmmmm

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
I never fail to be gobsmacked when looking at Osborne's Wikipedia article. The man's history doesn't qualify him to be a shift manager at Tesco, and yet there he is, nominally running one of your bigger economies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jfjnpxmy posted:

I never fail to be gobsmacked when looking at Osborne's Wikipedia article. The man's history doesn't qualify him to be a shift manager at Tesco, and yet there he is, nominally running one of your bigger economies.

There is an old saying:

Those who can, do.
Those who cannot, teach.
Those who cannot teach, train teachers.
And those who cannot train teachers, administrate.

I don't believe there is anyone in any position in any government in the world who is actually qualified for the job, Chancellor/Secretary of the Treasury least of all. Anyone qualified to run a national economy is in the private sector making tens of millions a year.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

There is an old saying:

Those who can, do.
Those who cannot, teach.
Those who cannot teach, train teachers.
And those who cannot train teachers, administrate.

I don't believe there is anyone in any position in any government in the world who is actually qualified for the job, Chancellor/Secretary of the Treasury least of all. Anyone qualified to run a national economy is in the private sector making tens of millions a year.

Maggie is that you? Go back to bed dearie.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Telegraph:

Indy:

:drat:

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
I'll forgive Riddell the labels on that one because of that loving wonderful Mayan Thatcher altar

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
One point, years ago, Riddell must have sketched that Maggie-skull and just taken the rest of the week off.
Also COMPA SSION
e: I like the fat-cat medallion and alter-decorations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

One point, years ago, Riddell must have sketched that Maggie-skull and just taken the rest of the week off.
Also COMPA SSION
e: I like the fat-cat medallion and alter-decorations.

Osborne knife was a good one too, quite subtle for Riddell.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

The former chief whip says he was accused of using 'awful toxic language' in an attempt to destroy his political career

Torygraph:

Seriously, I still can not get my head around how he won cartoonist of the year. :psyboom:

Indy:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Looks like the Indy cartoonist has been taking a page out of Riddell's book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Looks like the Indy cartoonist has been taking a page out of Riddell's book.

Yeah. :negative:

• Locked thread