Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

This one's a gift that keeps on giving. Britannia is (I think) Theresa May and her plume is made of £100 notes. The fat pig is a piggy bank - overstuffed, of course - with a sprig of mistletoe hanging from its tail inviting you to kiss its arse. The boat's serial number is DIP3, referring to the triple dip recession, and the Tories are rowing it with silver spoons - presumably the ones they had in their mouths when they were born. Well, I say "rowing"; Osborne appears to be using his to stop a drowning person getting aboard the boat. There are no shops on the high street, just a food bank and an unemployment benefit office. And that's just the ones I can recall.

I assumed Britannia was Cameron, makes more sense symbolically and it looks more like him, except with long hair and a dress, than May. IDS stealing the valuables from the dead person's hand is a nice touch that I missed on the first look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I like how IDS is delicately removing the fingers of someone clinging for dear life, like he wants rid of them but is reluctant to touch a pauper.

I thought it looked like he was stealing a ring from their dead fingers.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Fluo posted:

Scape goat maybe? Scape goat on benefits and he's making it jump threw hoops. :smithcloud:

It's definitely scapegoat, googling the word brings up paintings of goats with red cloths tied around their horns, which is apparently mentioned in the bible as being symbolic of the community's sins, so they tie it to the animal just before they drive it away.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

Is it just me or does this cartoon imply it's old news/crimes and therefore a waste of police time? I'm struggling to think of a non-terrible interpretation for this.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Makes sense I guess seeing it was from the Telegraph put me in the mindset to interpret it in the least charitable way possible.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

fuzzy_logic posted:

And what are the colorful things hanging on the bucket (under the skeleton's arm)? I can't tell if they're knives/trowels with the blades labelled or wormy things with tags hanging off drinking out of the bucket.

I think they are the tails of drowned cats in a bucket labelled with the things that are gonna be cut from the budget to fund the military campaign Cameron wants to conduct.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Niric posted:

Isn't it, er, fairies?

Angels not fairies I think.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

I don't get the Bell pope one :(

I'm guessing the portrait Bell is imitating is of Pope Innocent by Velazquez and it's about Blair Lying about the Iraq War. You could even say it was a picture of Blair pretending to be Innocent.

Puntification fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 12, 2013

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Coohoolin posted:

For Blair is Also A Catholic, you see.

I think that one is from he was still PM and the New Labour policy was they didn't talk about religion though?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Fluo posted:

(well they generally have been since 1997 I think, can't remember if John Major was anti EU)

He was generally pro EU but had lots of Eurosceptics in his cabinet/party that caused him problems.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Fluo posted:

Ah ok, cheers. :3:

Edit: How the hell did I never come across this.
http://cifwatch.com/2011/01/18/guardian-cartoonist-martin-rowson-and-israels-immutable-sin/

2011 I know, but are they just going to end up calling every single British cartoonist anti-Semitic?

You're welcome, the least I could do after you bothered to fact-check the Blair-Pope time line (also the whole almost single handedly maintaining this thread thing)!
Only the one's that criticise Israel I suspect, so Mac and whoever does the telegraph's ones are probably safe.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Uhhh didn't you hear she has a horse? She could just sell the horse and buy a bigger house with the proceeds

Most hard-working families can only dream of horse-sale money, it's a disgrace!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Don't lay this all at the door of the Tories; Atos were awarded that contract in 2005.

And the coalition extended the contract until 2015, making them just as culpable.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

The details have only really been leaking since after the renewal, though. The blame is therefore not equal, one way or another. If Labour didn't know how the results were created and the Tories did, then the Tories are worse. If the Tories didn't know, then all they did was not fix what didn't appear to be broken. If they both knew, or neither of them knew, then Labour are more to blame for being the ones who opened the door. It all boils down to whether the Tories knew the details, and given that this bunch wouldn't know where to find their arses with a labelled diagram tattooed on their leg I'm inclined to think they didn't.

Hmm true, quantifying the blame with the information available is possibly a wasted effort (also they are both terrible neo-liberal shits with little between them) and I should have just said "still culpable as well". I'm not sure ignorance should be a mitigating factor though since the minister retains the ultimate responsibility for the job atos is doing so if they didn't care to check they are incompetent.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

This is actually pretty good.

Also is that meant to be David Cameron in the Express cartoon, because what

Is it? Can you explain it because I have no idea what's meant to be going on there.

Also yes, it's because the express's cartoonist is poo poo.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

cloudchamber posted:

Boris had a disastrous interview on the Andrew Marr show last Sunday, which people are saying could affect his chances of becoming Prime Minister. In the cartoon he's hit a snag in his zip-wire. viz, he's hit a snag on his way to number ten.

Ah right thanks, yeah I had only heard of the interview not seen it and I didn't recognise that thing as being boris, it looked like someone was smashing a bail of hay into their own face.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Anyone set to profit from the move towards an increasingly privatised education sector would probably think quite highly of him too.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

The Express has long held the opinion that the government should not be giving money to "the foreigners" while the UK is in any sort of financial difficulty.

I'm pretty sure even if we weren't in financial difficulty they wouldn't want us giving money to foreigners.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

McDowell posted:

I can't see Osborne without picturing him as a sadomasochist pigman.

The magic of political cartoons.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Crashbee posted:

Cameron imagining himself as Statesman Man? Has Mac finally made an amusing comic?

No, it's poo poo and boring.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

Good job! Now hold out your hand so that I can stamp "HUMORLESS LEFTIST APPROVED" on it.

If thinking Mac is a poo poo cartoonist makes me a humourless leftie then I will wear the stamp like a badge of pride.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Mac isn't a poo poo cartoonist. He's a very good cartoonist who holds certain bad opinions, at least in part because he's in his 70s.

How are you defining what makes a good cartoonist here? I'm starting to feel like maybe Michael Gove was right about the UK having a culture of low expectations.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

He clearly puts time and effort into his compositions, if not his actual politics. So long as his cartoons aren't being actively racist, there's usually something to enjoy in his caricatures.

I don't think that's sufficient justification to call him very good: look at Bell, Rowson, Sharpe, Riddell and Brown vastly more effort and craftmanship go into their work. I'm not basing my position on not agreeing with his politics (although obviously I don't agree with it) but the fact of the matter is even with the witch doctors in the NHS, the men marrying sheep and the holidaying gay-nazis I find his work more tedious than offensive, hence my opinion he's a poo poo cartoonist and not a cartoonist who's got poo poo opinions.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

Craftsmanship perhaps - Mac has had the exact same style for decades, whilst more modern cartoonists have adapted their style, and often improved. He's not 'good' in the sense that he has good opinions, messages, or a creative style, but he is a competent artist, certainly by normal political cartoonist standards. We're lucky to see some pretty exceptional ones in the UK against which to compare him though - just look at the US thread.

I will admit in comparison to Chris Muir, Mac is a da Vinci of political cartooning but not being as poo poo as the mentally damaged outsider art shat out by some of the human garbage featured in the other thread shouldn't be our estimation of what a "very good" cartoonist is.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Wait a minute, does this mean Adams has lost CARTOONIST OF THE YEAR or did they just forget to add it?

Looking back through the thread he seems to have stopped using it around july 17th or so, maybe that's when it's judged and his award expired?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I can never decide whether it is Bob or Adams who is the worst cartoonist posted in this thread... Largely because I can't tell them apart.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Who's the little guy in the middle?

It might be one of the Barclay brothers, who own the Telegraph.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'd be surprised as why draw just one of the Barclays? Their twinship is their biggest feature. They're also not that hunched, though I guess Murdoch really has eyes so that might not matter. I wish I knew who it could be though.

I'm not particularly convinced by my own suggestion but I can't think of another balding editor or owner.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

Stephen Collins, perpetuator of racist "slit-eyed" Asian stereotypes, creator of the poorest, least relevant caricature of Kim Jong-Un to date.

Judging by their position on his head those are meant to be his eyebrows.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

mfcrocker posted:

They really aren't.

Look at the panel with the list where his head is at the different angle, there's no way that line is meant to be an eye.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

Collins is not very consistent when it comes to drawing eyes, but the slit/line is something he has used in the past, for non-Asian characters (cf. Indie guitarist, dentist dog). On the other hand, there is also this.

Well the picture of him in the glasses in that last cartoon completely undermines my position, fair enough I was totally wrong, it is an inexcusably racist caricature.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is it Collins' fault that style of glasses are enjoying a resurgence?

It's his fault that he chose to draw lines for eyes on an caricature of an asian person without considering whether that evoked stereotypical and racist depictions, the glasses just convinced me that mfcrocker and sedanchair were right when they said those were his eyes.

Fluo posted:

Everyone and everything is racist, I can tell by the pixels.
:goonsay:

No one actually called him a racist though did they? Just because you like his work doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't criticise an entirely inappropriate manner of depiction for an ethnic minority.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't think I've ever heard the phrase "job creators" said with a British accent.

George Osborne says it quite a lot I think. I'm sure some of the other tories have started using it too, it seems to me that they are increasingly trying to import US phrases and talking points because they've realised the American right are way more effective at messaging than they are.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

Most of the London press has a visceral dislike for Scotland, and yet take the idea of independence as a personal affront. It makes no sense.

I'd guess it's a sort of residual imperialist mindset, where they believe Scotland rightfully belongs to the British Empire and not the ghastly savages that actually live there. They may hate the place but Scotland being in the UK materially benefits England and independence would reduce England's remaining power and wealth.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

The pure beauty of Thomas' inanity can't be captured in words. It might seem like we're just locating animals repeatedly but we're really saying "they should have sent a poet" over and over.

Let's not get all metaphysical about what is literally just Where's Waldo with some badly drawn cartoon animals.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Kegluneq posted:

Where's Wally? This is the UK politoon thread after all. :colbert:

Yeah but Sedanchair's American (I think) so I used the US name since I was talking to him.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

Who's being spear-fished in the background?

Cloud Potato posted:

I think that's a badger, referring to the recent badger cull.

It looks more like Iain Duncan Smith than Owen Paterson and the thing in the water lacks a snout, so possibly it's just meant to be a poor person?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

^^^ That's Obama??

I always get Tim Rice mixed up with Tim Curry. Sorry Tim (the non-UKIP donator)

This is the best edit of Thomas yet.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Not that I have a problem with politicians' heads on pikes, I just prefer it without the fascist nationalist overtones

You probably shouldn't read the Express then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Trickjaw posted:

Uhm, aren't dentists self-employed? My mate, and all of his colleagues I have met are, and also very, very well paid, and just get NHS payments towards treatment and the patient has to divvy up the rest, no matter their situation, and thats if the Dentist is even taking NHS patients.

I think technically they are all private even those that do NHS services; the NHS offers to pay them a fixed amount to take on a quota of however many patients, and as baka kaba posted if the patient is over 18 etc. it's only subsidised rather than NHS funded. I was told once by someone Bevan was too exhausted after forcing the doctors in line to do the same job with the dentists unfortunately.

• Locked thread