Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Noreaus posted:

I like Ziggy's (I think that's the name) "Scene and Heard" bits in the Private Eye, but they aren't really cartoons.

Got to agree with this and I think they qualify as cartoons.

But the guy who does the has-beeno should be shot. I don't know how he's managed to ruin such a brilliant idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Jedit posted:

This one's a gift that keeps on giving. Britannia is (I think) Theresa May and her plume is made of £100 notes. The fat pig is a piggy bank - overstuffed, of course - with a sprig of mistletoe hanging from its tail inviting you to kiss its arse. The boat's serial number is DIP3, referring to the triple dip recession, and the Tories are rowing it with silver spoons - presumably the ones they had in their mouths when they were born. Well, I say "rowing"; Osborne appears to be using his to stop a drowning person getting aboard the boat. There are no shops on the high street, just a food bank and an unemployment benefit office. And that's just the ones I can recall.

The Lib Dem's are being hung out to dry, all the people are the man from Munch's Scream.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

And now something from Brant the physical cartoonist from the Daily Telegraph.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

LP97S posted:

Could someone explain the Cameron = Various bits of meat to me?

If Cameron carries on loving up so badly over Europe then he's for the chopping block/ meat is in the news!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Fluo posted:

The art style tends to be awful crosshatch unless its something special like that one.

E.G this was their latest one.

:suicide:

What's your problem with crosshatching?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Peel posted:

Bell is magical.

This is not a good cartoon, it's lazy and weak, but Clegg made me laugh.

And even the Torygraph has been taking a line against the Coalition these last couple of days, and not from an obvious 'they aren't right-wing enough' perspective. Is this normal?

The Torygraph will still support the government if it comes down to a crunch but they represent the majority of the party who don't really like Cameron or the coalition and would much rather the government be run by someone else, like that nice chap BoJo what what. It's just your standard British carping.

Remember a lot of tories are still very bitter with Cameron because they were unable to win a majority in an election against Gordon Brown (which is a fair complaint I suppose)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Crameltonian posted:

I guess the quote is meant to make him look like a glorious hero (albeit a :siren: FRENCH :siren: one) but the actual cartoon makes him look like an idiot on a Light Brigade-esque charge. As it's the Telegraph I'm genuinely not sure whether or not that's intentional.

this is totally what I read into it. Everyone opposes him, his allies are deserting him (you can see them running away) but he is still charging forward because he's a pompous arse.

I mean there is no way anyone supporting Gove would draw him with full Pob-face

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

You should send an e-mail to Steve Bell explaining this stuff Fluo, I mean he might not read it but it's worth a try.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The terrifying vacant smiles really freak me out.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

vodkat posted:

Loving the reference here to this painting called "The Volga Barge-Haulers" who were employed basically as slaves because it was cheaper than upgrading to steam engines. Apparently it was one of Stalin's favorite paintings :goonsay:

This can't be posted without this also happening in the background
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD0WVL-HjE

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Rowan Williams is great and is definitely one of the reasons that I am still an Anglican against all the odds.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

A man who wrestled with a shark in Australia has been sacked from his job because he was supposed to be on sick leave.

That story was seriously awful. Man is stressed and doctor tells him to take a holiday, he goes to Australia to visit his family, see a shark about to attack some kids so jumps into sea to stop them, his employer says that because he was capable to stop a shark killing some children he should have been at work instead.

As someone said, if you're already stressed watching some kids get killed so you can keep your job is probably going to make it worse.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Legitimately thought that was a picture of Gordon Brown at first.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Mousepractice posted:

Furthermore, the chancellor's family business is posh wallpaper company Osborne & Little.

Holy poo poo layers within layers.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

prefect posted:

Do they actually have British enclaves in the US? Are you allowed to tell outsiders? :allears:

I heard there was a place in Portland that sells marmite, but also that the weather there is as bad as Britain's and that the prawns are normal sized.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Niric posted:

Since this is the Telegraph, at first I assumed this must a malicious cartoon about David Miliband stepping down as an MP to head the (US based) International Rescue Committee (not to say that he hasn't made a bundle since losing the Labour leadership (see Private Eyes passim), but that's hardly relevant here). But, shocklingly, this seems to be saying that privatising public good-providing services is a bad thing. Am I missing something awful here?

I think the Telegraph friendly message you are missing is "BLOODY YANKS!"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

What is even going on in that flag?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I never thought I'd say it but that is a pretty good cartoon from Mac.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Stephen Collins is fine but he isn't a political cartoonist so I don't know why he gets posted here so much.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Is the Times arguing in favour of human rights now?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Telegraph:

But the torygraph told me that all labour's money came from burly uncouth union bosses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Mac on... the disgraceful treatment of Afghan translators

LOST IN TRANSLATION

This is weird because I bet if we granted the translators asylum Mac would have made a cartoon berating the government for letting dirty foreigners cone here.

• Locked thread