Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's from Collins' other gig at Prospect Magazine (who they?). He had a great one there about Milliband's field of disinterest, but I can't be bothered to find it, so have this weird one about Jeremy Hunt

He's also got a book coming out soonish, so watch out for that.
e:"collin's"

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fluo posted:

...A condom on Clegg? I'm confused, is there something I've missed in the news?

Along with talking about how he still wants to cut benefits for the wealthy, Clegg's been saying that the country should be thankful to the lib dems for all the heinous poo poo they stopped the conservatives from doing. This claim is ridiculed as Cameron's depicted as a mad axe-wielding bastard with Clegg a useless prophylaxis failing to stop the cuts.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

One point, years ago, Riddell must have sketched that Maggie-skull and just taken the rest of the week off.
Also COMPA SSION
e: I like the fat-cat medallion and alter-decorations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Seems a bit lazy to copy Steve Bell's IDS as a vampire caricature here. I normally quite like Dave Brown, too.

That's just what he looks like.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Urgh, being in the EU is just like being a slave, what?

It's the Torygraph, paper of mentalist euroskeptics.

Ok Brown, I defended your Nosferatu IDS, but that doesn't look like Cameron. It looks like Cameron as drawn by Bell.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Private Eye calls them the Daily Sexpress, because it's a tabloid, or sometimes the Daily Diana, because they (or more particularly, their proprietor) are still loving obsessed.

Noreaus posted:

I hate to be the one on this side of this, but it's really weird seeing these "Hurr maybe they'll turn up in cardinals's outfits" cartoons. I don't doubt they are anything other than "A Thing Happened", but it's...odd. Because if it were somebody allowed to wear a veil or some such, the cartoons would be people turning up wearing a burqa or some such, and they would be terrible cartoons.

On the surface they'd both be dumb, goofy jokes. It's the context of widespread anxieties about Islam, with the burqa in particular being viewed as a sign of radical Islam, that gives your hypothetical cartoon its bitter taste. Christians don't face anything analogous, so it's just a dumb, goofy joke.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Zephro posted:

I actually quite like this one.

I meant to compliment it but forgot to. I'd say it's great.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's tying in to the recent news story about horse and pig being found in supermarket beef burgers, and some lingering conceptions of the EU trying to interfere with the Great British Sausage.
e: possibly also the politics of compromise being likened to ground meat to boot.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I eventually sussed it out as "Events, dear boy", because I couldn't imagine fire as an old boy. "I say old chap, I'm bally well going to burn your house down, what what?!"

I quite like this one. A bit flat but cute enough.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Still my favourite series of Bell.

That's one of Rowson's :ssh:
I've not been posting Scarfe's cartoons because they're not that great. Let's see what this week brings us

Take away Obama and you've got an album cover right there.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

After Gustav Courbet's Beunos Dias Señor Courbet, although the why escapes me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Triple-diplodocus (for the recession), a giant fur cup (a gently caress-up if you can't hear it), and yes, an economic growth sloth.

Nope, that's not how you erase an etch-a-sketch. Come on.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

I like how you totally overlooked that they're getting :siren:GAY MARRIED:siren:
e: oh, the bit you quoted's not your gloss of the events, but the Daily Mail's heading. As you were.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 5, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I like how both Blower and Collins draw Gove as a weird, flabby, vindictive-looking funnel.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Scarfe of the week

I couldn't read the sign on the horse, so I squinted really hard and realized it's in french. So now I can't read it and my eyes hurt.

Zephro posted:

Is the Indy one meant to be a half-hearted League of Gentlemen reference or am I reading too much into it?

I can see what you mean, but it could go either way. It doesn't really make much sense and he's pretty good at attributing references.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Ok there's a bird in every loving cartoon. Drawn by someone with more talent

This is mental. Why did nobody tell me this before. Sometimes he fudges it by giving Cameron a Swift tattoo, or Hague a Robin mug. He's dedicated too, he even hid a bird here.
fake e: could someone find the bird here, tia

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 16, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Strif-ah Ker-not posted:

First bird is a cross between a falcon and a penguin? Second is the long-beak crow. I don't know why he adds birds to his cartoons but I love it.

Yep, it's stupid how much I enjoy these cartoons now. Good spot on Charlie's tie. I'd say the first's a poorly-drawn Peregrine, and the second's a Red-billed Chough, at a guess.

e: so as not to be misleading, the amount I now enjoy the Express cartoons is "some"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Scarfe of the week

Oscars' week is easy-mode for cartoonists.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Vince Cable's still rumbling on in the background. He's a pretty hard man to fire, as he'd apparently take half the party with him (he once described his quitting as "the nuclear option"). Last time I heard of him doing anything as a business secretary was him shrugging off the more-generous Olympics opening hours drifting into permanency, despite his avowed insistence that they would be a temporary measure.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Jedit posted:

Cameron isn't as out of touch as this cartoonist, who has only a passing acquaintance with reality. The reason bankers get most of their money as non-performance related bonuses is because tax on bonuses is easier to avoid.

If such bonuses were limited, do you think Bankers would just leave the money on the table? I guess the point of the cartoon is kill all bankers.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Scarfe of the week

drifting off into the mint green yonder.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

When was the last time you actually saw someone in a tweed suit? Maybe a secret underground of such sartorial throwbacks constitutes the Express's readership.
Anyway, at a guess, I'd say it's a Red Kite in silhouette.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

He's been in the Graun's Saturday magazine for years now (and Prospect magazine occasionally). Have a podcast appearance whre he talks a little about how he got into it (in brief: he was a terrible journalist).
efb

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

[quote="Fluo" post="413314831"]

What other challengers approach? There's the Bojo balloon, Gove with a lollypop, Murdoch with Farage as a headband, but who's the skinny man with the OBR pillow, or the gnome?
Also, the bed's made of Clegg and Osbourne (who's awake to the threats) is using Danny Alexander as a pillow.

Indy:

I don't like this one. Fixating on shoes as a symbol for May is a bit misogynist.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Scarfe of the week

and more of thread favourite Stephen Collins, this time for Prospect Magazine

It's even political and all.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I heartily recommend it to any one who hasn't seen it. Eddie Mair skewering Boris Johnson is primo-rudeness.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm a big fan of Jeremy Hunt sucking blood out of an IV, but who's the guy with the glasgow smile behind Hunt in the Bell cartoon.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The Indy guy's playing off Ford Maddox Brown's The Last of England, depicting a family emigrating to America

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I know why they're doing this, but commenting on today's news stories through comparing it to the story of the crucifixion is weirding me out.
e: better than putting everybody in bunny suits I guess.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 30, 2013

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Fluo posted:

Express:

Wheres the bird? :o

There's an owl hiding in the desk's decorations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

So they wont have far to travel.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

Gustave Doré did illustrations for an edition of Divine Comedy, that one is from the Inferno part.

I've been faffing around for minutes trying to upload such a picture. That's the spirit of Faranita degli Uberti who represents something something I've never read Dante.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I kind of hope that the stuff his Spads are doing explodes all over him and the direct accountability instituted after Damien McBride means he has to step down.
Hope, not expect.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Scarfe of the week

Scarfe of the weak, more like. Look at that floating gun.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Clapham Omnibus posted:

Daily Mail is a bit slow on this one, the ECHR ruling on Qatada was back in January 2012. Unless they mean the decision of our own domestic courts recently?

We've recently made another treaty with Jordan to the effect that they'll definitely give him a fair trial. The Mail's just being a bit defeatist.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, I know. But that's why it's in the news again.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Is he suggesting that Bashar al-Assad is going to invade America?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I know, I know. It's a red line and he's crossed it. Why is it a red bar in the American flag?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

How rural do you have to be to get all your news from placards left propped against a stone wall. Also, is foreign aid in the news, or is that just the Express being the Express?

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's also hilarious to see it falling out of IDS' mouth after the tories have been blocking the lib-dems tying such benefits to income throughout the coalition.

• Locked thread