Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

And thus it is shown that Mac can actually be funny when he avoids politics and sexual morality (even if he has no idea how much hash to put in a hash cake).

Eh, with Mac there seems to be no middle ground between 'utterly dull and pointless' and 'utterly disgusting bigotry', even if he manages to suppress his hatred of gay people he's not a very good or interesting cartoonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

I probably shouldn't find this so amusing but I've gotten a lot of schadenfreude from the middle class screeching now that benefits cuts are happening to them as well. They probably don't even consider themselves to be really on benefits, benefits are something that scum receive after all and they're Valuable Members Of Society. So their payments are completely justified unlike that chav on the dole I bet he's living it up on his £71 a week that bastard.

Ideally this would convince them that the Tories and their neoliberal policies are designed to gently caress everyone over but I'm sure they'll continue being as myopic as ever.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

UKIPgraph:

:smuggo:

I love how even a guy who's presumably on Farage's side is incapable of drawing him as anything other than a smug arsehole.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

It's quite a feat for a political cartoon to make me feel the same level of visceral disgust I have for this government.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Probably not the best metaphor to use if you're trying to dismiss global warming seeing as Noah was completely right despite being mocked relentlessly and everyone who mocked him died horribly in the flood.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Diana Express:

Almost certainly the most factual thing that will be printed in the Express today.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
But it comes across as a parody of those arguments because the scenario presented is so utterly ludicrous. I'd be certain it actually was a parody if it wasn't coming from the Express.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

And it's actually a very subtle and clever joke - which makes me wonder if it's intentional.

For those who are thankfully not au fait with pop culture: 50 Shades of Grey is about a sub/dom relationship and takes its name from the dom, Christian Grey. Hence, Cameron is being portrayed as trying to be the dom in Britain's relationship with Europe. But ask anyone who knows their BDSM, and they'll tell you that in a proper sub/dom relationship it's the sub who sets all the boundaries. So you have Cameron making himself look ridiculous while trying to show he's in charge, and it's actually Brussels who are calling the shots.

This is a Daily Mail cartoon so I'm going to assume that the intended meaning doesn't rely on a knowledge of BDSM relationships.

Honestly it reminded me of the story Greek historians made up about how Xerxes had the sea whipped after a storm destroyed the bridge he'd had built so his armies could invade Greece. That'd be an amusing comment on Cameron's idiocy but again I'm going to assume that's not the intended meaning.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Don't worry, so do I. It was a bit involved just to do an AGC, is all.

Ah, should have guessed that. Although the media has become so obsessed with putting 50 Shades into everything that part of me was worried you were right. :ohdear:

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Rowson's somehow incredibly good at drawing both utterly grotesque and extremely adorable things. That fur cup. :3:

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

Heh, Osborne's face in this is great. Cartoonists seem to be very good at capturing his vileness in general.

And the Scarfe thing is a case of unfortunate timing but unless you're one of those people who thinks criticism of Israel is inherently anti-Semitic there's nothing to discuss really.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, it's not the best joke but Clegg got an actual laugh out of me which is generally more than even the cartoons I agree with can accomplish.

And I think the Torygraph have backed the Conservatives in every election ever, even back in 2001 when literally no over paper did. So if they're starting to snipe at the party it's not a great sign, although I imagine they'll get back in line when it comes to election season.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

I'm not seeing the funny side.

I think the joke is 'gently caress Alex Salmond' so it's probably hilarious if you agree with that opinion. The Guardian don't seem to be massive fans, to say the least.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

I use the Tube about once a year on average so I don't see what this is getting it. Travelling on the Tube is... bad? Not fun?

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

Full of minorities.

Welp, I'm not as good as picking up on racism as I thought. Saw the minorities and just thought 'well duh, it's London'. I was assuming it was some banal comic about how people don't talk to each other on the Tube or something...

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Naturally most cartoons focus on gay marriage today. Surprisingly little passion or vitriol, most of them are going for A Thing Happened mixed with laughing at Cameron

Guardian:

Daily Mail:

quote:

“Don’t raise your hopes, Norman. I’ve got a feeling Brad Pitt is already spoken for.”
I'm amazed that Mac went for something so innocuous, there's not a single swastika in sight! Normally he really has it in for gay people, maybe he's been told to tone down the open hatred.

Telegraph:

Express:

Independent:

Crameltonian fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 6, 2013

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Torygraph:

Torygraph being torygraph who loves toryshit tory Gove tory. Tory.

I guess the quote is meant to make him look like a glorious hero (albeit a :siren: FRENCH :siren: one) but the actual cartoon makes him look like an idiot on a Light Brigade-esque charge. As it's the Telegraph I'm genuinely not sure whether or not that's intentional.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
If we want to really take the metaphor and run with it the Tories will win the battle but will in the long-term be broken by it. In two decades time a resurgent NUT will conquer the Home Counties with ease.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

The horror....... the horror.......

This would be awesome, both because they deserve each other and because the bastards who make up the Catholic hierarchy over here might actually throw a bigger fit then they did over gay marriag.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Finally found a photo of him.

Got 2 cartoonists I'm going to have to add to the OP now.

Oh gently caress you, because of that I actually checked the OP and found out that Mac has an MBE. :negative: If that doesn't prove the utter bankruptcy of the current system I don't know what will.

Interesting to see even the Express doesn't seem to be defending IDS, even if the joke is ':lol: our lot have hosed things up so bad you might as well throw away your degree and acccept a life of menial labour!'

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

It's fascinating how perfectly the media's proving Mantel's point in their hysteria over this. Even with the normally low standards of our press this is an astonishing lack of self-awareness.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
The line they're taking on this is sociopathic even by Mail/Express standards. Those kids apparently don't deserve proper housing so I guess they should all either live in one room and be grateful for it or the mother should do the decent thing and kill them all so they won't be a burden on the state.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Would it somehow be more acceptable if the family were split into two three bedroom houses? I doubt it'd be grabbing headlines if that were the case...

She'd still get attacked for daring to have children while on benefits (mostly by people who would also be screaming at her if she dared to have an abortion) but it wouldn't be quite as big a story.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Who'd have expected the Mail to be the first paper to openly call for class war? :getin:

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

:frogon:

Clegg and Milliband are bullying Cameron by... trying to implement the recommendations of an inquiry specifically set up to recommend how to change our hosed-up media? How awful? Also at this point I think even most Torygraph readers are going to side with the people beating up Cameron.

quote:

Daily Mail:

We now have a new Pope and he hails from Argentina.

Daily Express:

Oh my god shut up about the Falklands we get it already. I think the Pope is going to have slightly more important things to do than to intervene over some rocks in the South Atlantic.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

The leaders of the three main parties have come up with a new set of press regulations which are not proving popular with newspaper Editors.

This is meant to be horrifying but I wouldn't mind seeing this happen in real life- it's not like Hugh Grant could make our papers worse than they already are.

Crameltonian fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 20, 2013

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

This may be embarrassingly ignorant of me but who the hell is that meant to be in the last panel?

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

quote:

drat, this hit home pretty hard for me. My European boyfriend wants to live and work in this country but he's getting increasingly unsettled by the tone of the rhetoric on immigration from all sides- there aren't exactly many voices speaking up in favour of immigrants these days.

quote:

Indy:

This was briefly very confusing for me, I've spent far too much time hearing the conservative definition of the 'race card'.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Martin Rowson on social class and media coverage of the Philpott verdict.
I love Rowson, he's able to express the utter contempt I have for the Mail and express it far more eloquently than I ever could.

quote:

Express:

It's the Express, it has to be about the loving queen.
Given how obsessed our media/society is with making everyone middle class I wouldn't be surprised if the Express actually did try to claim the Queen was part of the Squeezed Middle. The poor dear had to make door with a mere £5m rise in her income last year!

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
That's a pretty good cartoon, famous deaths seem to bring out the best on Bors. As ever the milk bottle suffers most. :britain:

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

:shepface:

That's a horrifically drawn cartoon, :smug: Merkel is pretty great though.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
God help me I laughed at a Mac. Bad puns. :negative:

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
What the gently caress is up with those Guardsmen? He's not even trying with them, I guess making Fergie look vaguely human used up the last scraps of his artistic talent.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Telegraph:

The G8 summit continues.

This guy's opinions vary from banal to lovely but he's not bad as a cartoonist, he's often able to amuse me somewhat which is a rare talent in a political cartoonist. I'm not sure what the intended message is but I like the image of Abe sitting at the side rolling his eyes at the wacky antics of his fellow world leaders.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
I never realised how morbid the whole thing is until I saw all these 'ahahahah they just can't wait for their elderly relative to die!' cartoons...

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

A Not Awful Telegraph Cartoon? :aaaaa: Though it's not that praiseworthy as attacking the rail system as it is is the lowest hanging fruit imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
So are the energy companies greedy bastards or delicate waifs that we need to protect from Ed Milliband's Stalinist purges I'm confused.

• Locked thread