Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Why a new thread already? The old one was only 1500 posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

Look at that loving sloth :3:

Which is now bigger than Osborne, who is now hanging onto it. A pretty accurate assessment of the situation there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

hazza posted:

Almost all of those rounds of ammunition have not been fired-off!

You'll have to forgive him. Not having insane numbers of guns freely available to our citizens, we are less familiar with what spent ammunition looks like.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

You realise the story you linked to is about the UKIP suspending a candidate because he wants mandatory abortion for Down's babies, right? It's exactly the opposite of what you're implying.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OK, tell me how the Queen is indicating her support for eugenic eradication of Down's babies by voting for a party that just unequivocally opposed it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Noreaus posted:

Mac sure does like giving people swastika tattoos.

This is clearly the gay gent from his hotel cartoon, now with a new partner and an adopted daughter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Note that the sign on the Fur Cup identifies George Osborne as The Fearless Gideon. Osborne changed his name from Gideon to George when he was in his teens, claiming that he never liked it. However, a school friend recalls Osborne saying he changed his name because he didn't think the British people would elect a Prime Minister with an obviously Jewish name. (Clearly he forgot Benjamin Disraeli, who was born Jewish - and was also a Conservative.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jfjnpxmy posted:

I never fail to be gobsmacked when looking at Osborne's Wikipedia article. The man's history doesn't qualify him to be a shift manager at Tesco, and yet there he is, nominally running one of your bigger economies.

There is an old saying:

Those who can, do.
Those who cannot, teach.
Those who cannot teach, train teachers.
And those who cannot train teachers, administrate.

I don't believe there is anyone in any position in any government in the world who is actually qualified for the job, Chancellor/Secretary of the Treasury least of all. Anyone qualified to run a national economy is in the private sector making tens of millions a year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

The 2 part spot ones I swear I saw in Private Eye awhile ago,

I've been reading the Eye for 15 years at least, and I've never seen those before. Googling, it seems he did them for the Guardian.

I quite like this one:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Seriously, I've never met anyone who bought Private Eye and enjoys the cartoons.

*coughs discreetly*

Eye cartoons are variable, but there's some really good ones in there like Banx, Bestie, Ken Pyne, Graeme Keyes, Tony Husband and of course the legendary Ed McLachlan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

You've broken me, you've truly broken me. I can't tell if you're joking or not. :psyduck:

If you don't like McLachlan, you do like Hitler. He's been knocking out brilliant cartoons for over 40 years and unlike many he hasn't declined with age. :colbert:

The stuff Keyes does for the Irish Mail is boring, but he's usually pretty sharp in the Eye. He did one recently that was "Taliban-approved headgear for girls", showing a girl in a hospital bed with bloody bandages wrapped round her face.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

JANUARY: Drugs offence guidelines suggest lighter sentencing for 'social dealers' who buy drugs to share with friends.

And thus it is shown that Mac can actually be funny when he avoids politics and sexual morality (even if he has no idea how much hash to put in a hash cake).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Murderion posted:

Or how much cake goes into a hash cake, since one big enough to hide two kilos of weed without anyone noticing would be enough to send a table of delicate old dears into diabetic comas.

Well, that's kind of the point of saying there was too much hash in it.

Mac basically wants to be Carl Giles, and Giles was always fairly inoffensive and a little bland. Where Mac falls down is that he's not as good at portraying characters - and of course, he is more open about his objectionable opinions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Phil Disley on the Tories' 2013 economic difficulties.

This one's a gift that keeps on giving. Britannia is (I think) Theresa May and her plume is made of £100 notes. The fat pig is a piggy bank - overstuffed, of course - with a sprig of mistletoe hanging from its tail inviting you to kiss its arse. The boat's serial number is DIP3, referring to the triple dip recession, and the Tories are rowing it with silver spoons - presumably the ones they had in their mouths when they were born. Well, I say "rowing"; Osborne appears to be using his to stop a drowning person getting aboard the boat. There are no shops on the high street, just a food bank and an unemployment benefit office. And that's just the ones I can recall.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I like how IDS is delicately removing the fingers of someone clinging for dear life, like he wants rid of them but is reluctant to touch a pauper.

There's also a blind person hanging from the ring at the bow by their stick.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

Cartoonist of the year ladies and gentlemen! :jiggled:

This one's not bad, actually. Cameron did start out talking about austerity until 2015 or 2016, but now it's triple dipped the economy he's talking about it lasting until 2020 instead of dropping it like a sane person would. I'm honestly surprised to see the Torygraph print something so openly critical of Cameron.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

That's what I keep telling myself. But then I remember the 1992 election. :smith:

People weren't sick of the Tories in 1992, they were sick of Thatcher. Faced with the choice between the relatively unknown John Major and Neil Kinnock, who they hadn't wanted in the last two General Elections, they elected not to rock the boat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

I think it is meant to be the police should have been breaking down his door years ago.

Yeah, if Savile's abuse was as widespread as is claimed then it's nothing short of astonishing that it didn't come out until after his death. This one looks like it's asking how he was able to escape justice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Puntification posted:

Makes sense I guess seeing it was from the Telegraph put me in the mindset to interpret it in the least charitable way possible.

Don't worry, it's still uncharitable. The blame is being laid on the BBC for it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Also todays IF... is up, just wasn't uploaded in the morning like normal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20969469

The Eye just ran an almost identical joke on the cover, with the added detail that the caller was David Cameron. Shame on Steve Bell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Torygraph:

"Cartoonist of the Year" is going to become this thread's "Two Pulitzers", isn't it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Daily Heil:

The text to it is seriously 50 shades of Dave in caps. :shepface:

And it's actually a very subtle and clever joke - which makes me wonder if it's intentional.

For those who are thankfully not au fait with pop culture: 50 Shades of Grey is about a sub/dom relationship and takes its name from the dom, Christian Grey. Hence, Cameron is being portrayed as trying to be the dom in Britain's relationship with Europe. But ask anyone who knows their BDSM, and they'll tell you that in a proper sub/dom relationship it's the sub who sets all the boundaries. So you have Cameron making himself look ridiculous while trying to show he's in charge, and it's actually Brussels who are calling the shots.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crameltonian posted:

This is a Daily Mail cartoon so I'm going to assume that the intended meaning doesn't rely on a knowledge of BDSM relationships.

Don't worry, so do I. It was a bit involved just to do an AGC, is all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

I don't understand the Mail at all. Surely littering is the remit of hoodies and yobs, this is raising money for underfunded councils without raising taxes, and providing employment to WAR HEROES :syoon: rather than darkies and immigrants. How can they possibly oppose it?

There's been a thing where the uniforms worn by the on-the-spot finers in some areas are not readily distinguishable from police uniform. This has led to enterprising thieves strolling off with the uniforms and doing a bit of impromptu fining of their own while pretending to be coppers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A Sloth posted:

I thought it might be a loose screw, but there is no thread so it can't be :v:

You're a loving sloth, you should know what it is!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crameltonian posted:

Daily Mail:

I'm amazed that Mac went for something so innocuous, there's not a single swastika in sight! Normally he really has it in for gay people, maybe he's been told to tone down the open hatred.

His last one wasn't hateful either. I'm wondering if he's been told to tone it down or to stop toning it up. Either is possible with the Mail.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Environment secretary Owen Paterson to hold emergency meeting with heads of meat retailers and suppliers.

I was slightly disappointed that I didn't see one of the red tops use the headline SPAGHETTI BOLOGNEIGHS. My sister says she saw it, but I was keeping an eye out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Thousands of people could receive compensation after the court of appeal declared that almost government employment schemes unlawful.

This sentence requires a little bit of revision, Fluo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

What happened Jedit? I've been out the loop all day. :(

The DWP have been forcing unemployed people to work up to 30 unpaid hours a week for supermarkets or face losing their benefits. One young graduate just won her court case and the schemes have been ruled unlawful.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Telegraph:

Torygraph doing tons of article about how great Cameron is at buttering up India.

And Richard Briers, star of The Good Life, just died. gently caress you, Adams, Cuntoonist of the Year.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

David Cameron really is so out of touch isn't he? :suicide:

Telegraph:

Cameron isn't as out of touch as this cartoonist, who has only a passing acquaintance with reality. The reason bankers get most of their money as non-performance related bonuses is because tax on bonuses is easier to avoid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Heavy_D posted:

Have I missed one of the cartoons somewhere? Rowson keeps drawing what looks like the bloody, detached face of Osborne on the ground of the desert. Did something trigger this? Is it some pun like the fur cup which I am completely missing? Saving face? That doesn't work...

Osborne has lost face. It's that simple.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Whybird posted:

That sure is one clearly-labelled betting shop.

Bookies in the UK are not shy.

Re: Giles Coren - now you know why he's known as "the Coren nobody reads or likes".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Whybird posted:

I'm pretty sure we don't have any which are actually named 'BETTING SHOP' though.

I mean, it's one thing for a political cartoonist to label a big stormcloud 'TAXES' because it represents TAXES, but taking a betting shop and labelling it BETTING SHOP because it represents a betting shop is a move worthy of Kelly.

I already showed you one labeled BOOKMAKERS in letters twice the size of the name of the chain. I'm more surprised that the Express used "BETTING SHOP" instead - most of their readership probably knows what one is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Sunday cartoons, so not many as normal.

Guardian:

Was Eastleigh such a great victory?
Chris Riddell on the prospects for Nick Clegg and the Liberal Democrats.

Nick Clegg thinks it was, but as Private Eye pointed out this week, the Lib Dem percentage of the vote dropped by more than the Tory percentage. Win or no win, it was a rout where both the Lib Dems and Tories lost half of their votes and turned a relatively safe seat into barely more than a marginal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Two Rowsons on Rowan!

That second one is Pollaiuolo's Martyrdom of St Sebastian:

I don't recognise the Crucifixion painting, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Also news related if we're talking about how loving awful the Tories and ATOS are.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...cv-8536873.html

Check out the full article, its depressing as gently caress.

Don't lay this all at the door of the Tories; Atos were awarded that contract in 2005.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Puntification posted:

And the coalition extended the contract until 2015, making them just as culpable.

The details have only really been leaking since after the renewal, though. The blame is therefore not equal, one way or another. If Labour didn't know how the results were created and the Tories did, then the Tories are worse. If the Tories didn't know, then all they did was not fix what didn't appear to be broken. If they both knew, or neither of them knew, then Labour are more to blame for being the ones who opened the door. It all boils down to whether the Tories knew the details, and given that this bunch wouldn't know where to find their arses with a labelled diagram tattooed on their leg I'm inclined to think they didn't.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

The chancellor delivered help for homebuyers, motorists and beer drinkers in an attempt to temper the economic gloom.

Except he didn't, because his plan is actually designed to help buy-to-let landlords acquire even more property and worsen the housing bubble still further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

Typical woman's job according to the Mail: secretary. :eng99:

Oh, for gently caress's sake - this is a cartoon criticising the government for attacking the poor. The cartoon would be moronic if it depicted a woman in a high paying job because those women can afford full time child care. The women who are affected are the secretaries and clerical workers of the world.

• Locked thread