Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
The best cartoon in Private Eye is Dave Snooty and His (New) Friends, which is just a stream of bad puns in true keeping with the spirit of the Beano. The second best is Scene & Heard, which isn't really a political cartoon in the usual sense. It's more a bit of illustrated journalism, where the cartoonist takes an issue of the day, like squatting, and captures an inside perspective with quotes and sketches.

http://pourlafrime.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/goodbye-summer-charlie-hebdo-reportage.html is an example of the kind of thing, although this exact one didn't appear in Private Eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Spiderfist Island posted:

The fact that Osbourne also cut off Cameron's fingertip in the frenzy is a great touch.

It's really a great example of "show, not tell" in cartooning - just from their expressions in the last panel we understand the positions of all three of them:
Osborne looks very happy with what he's done; Cameron is upset, but only at the damage he's suffered; Boris is appalled - or at least he's appearing to be...

And all of this is communicated with zero words.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Have I missed one of the cartoons somewhere? Rowson keeps drawing what looks like the bloody, detached face of Osborne on the ground of the desert. Did something trigger this? Is it some pun like the fur cup which I am completely missing? Saving face? That doesn't work...

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

I think that's him crossing his fingers, implying that even he doesn't believe it any more and has chosen to lie. Thanks for tracking down the cartoon!

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

mfcrocker posted:

Holy gently caress no labels?

Hi, Riddell? Great, hey. Yeah, I've got the draft here, it's fantastic! I know, he looks like such a poo poo! But I'm glad you mentioned him, because I have got one small ask before you submit it. The thing he's holding, the stabby....skewer. Knife! Sure, the readers will get that, but I don't think they'll understand the subtext. Could you write "Leadership Challenge" on it for me? Splendid! Ta-ta, bye now!

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

ClownSyndrome posted:

His tie is a fox's tail

There's an eagle on the flag

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

My god, this is one speech bubble away from actually being half-decent, what's happened?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Like a stopped clock, the caption is entirely correct as migrant workers are net contributors to the tax system.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Boris dropping all the Vote Tory flyers in the commotion in Mac's cartoon is a nice visual gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

I think the editor must have cropped it wrong, if we enlarge the frame a bit...

• Locked thread