Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Fluo posted:

Peter Duggan:

I find his stuff seems to be hit and miss, if he put a lot more effort into the art work its stuff it could be pretty good. Quite ironic redrawing of art history series where the drawings itself isn't good.

It seems like the main thing about these is whether you know enough about art to understand them. Most of them are not particularly funny beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

No party in recent history has increased their share of the vote into their second term. Considering the conservatives didn't win the last election and now people have realised what they're like, it's not looking good for them. Thank gently caress.

Here is an interesting chart that shows the monthly poll results for the last 20 years. Based on that I'd say the next election is pretty much up for grabs - mostly depending on how the economy looks in 2015 I imagine:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AonYZs4MzlZbcGhOdG0zTG1EWkVPOEY3OXRmOEIwZmc#gid=2

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

What does everyone make of the Gerald Scarfe cartoon that has caused a stir today?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21239917

This article has the cartoon, although it missing the caption:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4338264,00.html

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Fluo posted:

About antisemitism

I think it all boils down to making the distinction between 'the Jews' and 'the Israeli state' or 'Israeli politicians'. The former is a generalisation that seems antisemitic regardless of the author's intention, and the latter are fair game for political comment.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

Bell/The Guardian is a poo poo on Scottish independence. :thejoke:

The thing that surprises me about the Scottish referendum is that the rest of the UK don't get any say in the matter. Maybe if they end up voting 'stay' then the rest of us should get a vote to see if they're allowed to. Maybe on renegotiated terms, like the (possibly) upcoming Euro referendum...

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

London does actually look a bit like that though, e.g from parliament hill.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Sorry to derail the cartoon chat further, but I don't think it even was that cynical having the political leaders separated from the crowd. It looks like the crowd was still nearby and that picture is intended to emphasise the size of the gap, and given the events of days prior you can imagine there would be something of a focus on security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

The child is terrified by the sudden overreaction, a good cartoon

Surprisingly so for MAC.

• Locked thread