Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Newly elected S.W. I want to start my hat shopping early for next year, anyone have a good milliner they recommend ? As J.W. this year I presided over six EA degrees in a borrowed lid, and want to step up my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Oh aye, another wee difference between the US and Scotland - we don't have hats for the Master or Wardens. Personally, I like the little flair of style it adds, but no way it would gain traction over here.

(By the way, if anyone is tired of me pointing out differences between our various jurisdictions, feel free to say. I'll shut up accordingly!)

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Innerguard posted:

(By the way, if anyone is tired of me pointing out differences between our various jurisdictions, feel free to say. I'll shut up accordingly!)

How dare you share these interesting little facts. I'll have you brought before the Supreme council of magi masons for this! :argh:

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Innerguard posted:

Oh aye, another wee difference between the US and Scotland - we don't have hats for the Master or Wardens. Personally, I like the little flair of style it adds, but no way it would gain traction over here.

Keep going Innerguard, I'm in Sydney and my mother lodge was started by Scots, we don't use the Scotland ritual, but I also spend a lot of time in Dunblane Australis, a lodge here in Sydney that follows the proper rituals. They have whisky tasting nights after every meeting which is why I turn up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Just for a laugh do any of you ever learn stone masonry?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angela Christine posted:

Just for a laugh do any of you ever learn stone masonry?
I recall in the last thread there was a story about an old lady who called a local lodge to ask about getting her stoop repaired, as they were, after all, free masons. They explained they weren't that kind of Mason.

Then they went and did it anyway.

I should go back to Holland Lodge again now that I have semi-steady work, but I'm not sure if I'm staying in town terribly much longer. :( If mrbill's still around over there, how's Gray doing?

e: to clarify since bill is in fact POSTING IN THIS THREAD :v:

Nessus fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 19, 2012

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I for one hate laying concrete/brick, having had my fill in my youth, but there's an operative stone mason who is interested in our Lodge who may be turning in his application next month. A few lifted eyebrows at the table when he talked about his job.

If anyone wants to swing by the California North Bay, I'm the WM of Petaluma-Hamilton Lodge #180 this year and next. I love that new thread fresh scent, don't you?

Brimmstone
Mar 10, 2007

GO CRAZY, FOLKS! GO CRAZY!

mrbill posted:

I've heard it as "Are you satisfied that all present are Brother Masons? If not, proceed to satisfy yourself." and have to surpress a giggle.

(we try to open in EA as much as possible, except for things like DDGM visits and such)

Edit: might want to add something to the OP, about how no proper Mason will ask you to join - you have to make that decision to start the petition/application process yourself.

And here's the point when we get to whisper sweet nothings to the deacons or stewards... Bonus points if you can get them to crack.

Also, es selamu aleikum to any other nobles tuning in.

Furthermore (only one here), Arkansas, lol.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
A special thanks to the moderation and admin staff here at Something Awful for blinging our thread with the most appropriate thread tag! Thanks moana and Ozma!

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

UC Special Task Force Unit Operative
I didn't get this post in fast enough to make it onto the first page, but I sent my copy of Freemasons for Dummies off to Wizard of Smart today. Not sure the best way to get it moving around, but I guess the easiest would be for him to post when he's finished reading it for the next interested person to ask.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CopRock posted:

Newly elected S.W. I want to start my hat shopping early for next year, anyone have a good milliner they recommend ? As J.W. this year I presided over six EA degrees in a borrowed lid, and want to step up my game.

I can vouch for this place, the oldest hat shop in Brooklyn: http://www.bencrafthats.com/

Edit- I like this one:

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=169&subcname=Felt+Hats

Good thing I'm not in a hat-wearing position just yet.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 19, 2012

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Snowy posted:

I can vouch for this place, the oldest hat shop in Brooklyn: http://www.bencrafthats.com/

Edit- I like this one:

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=169&subcname=Felt+Hats

Good thing I'm not in a hat-wearing position just yet.

Same hat, but Beaver Brand. Both myself and the previous WM wear the same hat. Except I had to take it off in Lodge. And find a shop that will reshape the hat for life.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

lone77wulf posted:

I didn't get this post in fast enough to make it onto the first page, but I sent my copy of Freemasons for Dummies off to Wizard of Smart today. Not sure the best way to get it moving around, but I guess the easiest would be for him to post when he's finished reading it for the next interested person to ask.

I meant to reply to your PM but the rest of the day just kind of happened and when I realized it it was late late times. Thanks! I'm very excited to read it and I'll definitely post when I'm done with it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Innerguard posted:

Do the Wardens wear a hat in some jurisdictions? I was under the impression it was only the WM who wore a hat in lodge (and I suppose other brothers whose faith requires it).

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Brimmstone posted:

And here's the point when we get to whisper sweet nothings to the deacons or stewards... Bonus points if you can get them to crack.

One of our Lodge's classic stories involves someone flubbing "tongue of good report" and saying "report of good tongue" instead...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ah, I love when people get flustered during the degrees, especially scared candidates.

"In whom do you put your trust?"
"IN MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST"
"*ahem*... uh... in... whom?"

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Sorry for the disjointed post, for some strange reason the browser wont let me quote here in the office.

As for midwest lodges being more on the conservative side. I would have agreed completely up until a GM class i attended a few weeks ago. We were an hour before start time having some coffee in the basement of the Elmhurst lodge around 100 dudes in suits or other business attire. All of a sudden 30 brothers from The Men in Brotherhood lodge (https://www.miblodge.com) roll in the parking lot on their Harleys and full biker leathers. Traditional Kuttes with Masonic and Shrine symbols in place of MC patches. Their current seats and positions stitched under their nicknames.

Was taken back at first but man they were some chill laid back guys. They are dark for December but they are first on my list of lodges to visit now that I have been raised and can visit at will.

The other topic I wanted to touch on was speed of going through the Blue degrees.

I know after I was an EA, the first 5 or 6 meetings I attempted to attend I couldn't because they had to open in the 3rd. I quickly lost interest and fell off the map for a year or so with them.

Now I am very glad they reached back out to me and got me re-engaged. Although we don't do spaghetti dinners. Italian beef is our staple it seems.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

QPZIL posted:

Ah, I love when people get flustered during the degrees, especially scared candidates.

"In whom do you put your trust?"
"IN MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST"
"*ahem*... uh... in... whom?"

Or of course the classic response (to the question we are all aware of)

"A DRINK!"

A small tidbit of information before I head off for this evenings work (lodge of instruction, 1st degree, OBs are taking position that they'll be in for the year ahead) :

There is a lodge in Scotland which opens and closes entirely in Scots Gaelic. To show an example of the kind of language I'm referring to, a common sentence from the opening of the lodge would be loosely translated as "Cruthaigh go bhfuil an thaisceadh cosanta gar."

Sadly, the above is Irish Gaelic, as I couldn't locate a decent translation medium for Scots Gaelic, but you get the point. (Prove that the lodge is close tyled is the sentence.)

Brimmstone posted:

Aye, its a wee bit of fun - but there is an old story from my mother lodge, that a visiting brother was loudly declared as an imposter when he failed to answer a particular question correctly. Another time, more jokingly, my father was declared an imposter (he's english, and has a rather thick birmingham accent) as the deacon questioning him 'couldnt understand' what he was saying. He was of course, taking the piss.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ari posted:

How? It was almost five years old and constantly on the first two pages.

I don't venture into A/T much. Kind of bummed I've missed it for so long.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

mrbill posted:

One of our Lodge's classic stories involves someone flubbing "tongue of good report" and saying "report of good tongue" instead...

We had a "Have you examined yourself and found yourself to be totally naked?" (Naked of course not being the right word)

Poor candidate was freaking out there for a second.

We also had one guy who was about to do his FC degree ask if it was similar to the EA where "we threw a little water in his face."

Took us a bit of back and forth to figure out he'd stopped where the roof was leaking that day and gotten dripped on. Whoops.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Which MMO was this goon guild for again?

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

If a man wishes to become a Freemason, he must:
2. Be born free (i.e., not a slave).
These requirements are immutable, regarded as "ancient landmarks" which no mason nor assembly of masons is able to change.

What's the moral argument for this?

There are still slaves, and it just seems monstrous that someone would say, "You fought your way to freedom, believe in god, and did whatever else, but you were born in a brothel in some horrible part of the world, so you can't join the club."

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

falcon2424 posted:

What's the moral argument for this?

There are still slaves, and it just seems monstrous that someone would say, "You fought your way to freedom, believe in god, and did whatever else, but you were born in a brothel in some horrible part of the world, so you can't join the club."

Historical, based on the requirement to join "by your own free will and accord." Can't be changed. I am not sure if anyone has tested this, one could make an Enlightenment era argument that slavery is impossible and therefore all people are born free. It'd need tested I suppose.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

Historical, based on the requirement to join "by your own free will and accord." Can't be changed. I am not sure if anyone has tested this, one could make an Enlightenment era argument that slavery is impossible and therefore all people are born free. It'd need tested I suppose.

Also one comment I heard on the matter was that a slave could have been forced by their 'owner' to divulge what they'd seen, heard, etc.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Innerguard posted:

Also one comment I heard on the matter was that a slave could have been forced by their 'owner' to divulge what they'd seen, heard, etc.

That's the reasoning we were given for that requirement.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Loving the new thread and that new-thread smell, guys. :)

A bit of ego-boo here: I was elevated yesterday to the office of Junior Steward. I was raised at the end of October, and told folks that I was seriously gung-ho and wanted to start moving to the chairs -- and they took me at my word. :) I welcome any words of advice from brethren who've gone through as well. I'm really looking forward to doing my part in bringing new folks in. (For those who don't know, the stewards do some of the grunt work for degree work, and we are also the unofficial entertainment and refreshment committee.)

Went up to the Grand Lodge today in Indianapolis. What a cool building -- and I *love* the museum. There are some fascinating things there. I'll write about a couple of 'em tomorrow. For now, I'm on a caffeine downtime and barely keeping awakzzzzzzzzz

Effingham fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 20, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

DeepQantas posted:

Which MMO was this goon guild for again?

Marriage.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Hey, so I'm one of the jerks that showed up in the last thread flailing about the whole situation with women joining up and--

Well, me and the Spouse read the spoilers, basically.

I won't go into any details for obvious reasons. I'll just say that, even as someone who doesn't flip out easily, I can completely, totally understand now why incorporating women is implausible, and how the authentic experience would be completely turned on its ear if it was altered.

My apologies for making flailing motions. :v:

fake edit: really not being sarcastic, here, I actually do get it.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 20, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Can somebody frame that post somehow? I don't believe we've ever had someone disagree with us on that point and then eventually come around.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

QPZIL posted:

Can somebody frame that post somehow? I don't believe we've ever had someone disagree with us on that point and then eventually come around.

I thought the exact same thing when I read it.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

An Old Boot posted:

Hey, so I'm one of the jerks that showed up in the last thread flailing about the whole situation with women joining up and--

Well, me and the Spouse read the spoilers, basically.

I won't go into any details for obvious reasons. I'll just say that, even as someone who doesn't flip out easily, I can completely, totally understand now why incorporating women is implausible, and how the authentic experience would be completely turned on its ear if it was altered.

My apologies for making flailing motions. :v:

fake edit: really not being sarcastic, here, I actually do get it.

Thanks... I think?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I appreciate the sentiment. I've always felt we've had a reasonable stance but because of the obligations and such we can't really delineate it since the reasons are based on the ritual and the oath. This person found those things and understands, which confirms my suspicion. But I'm not about to endorse people do that, so there is that.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
One of my great-grandparents was a mason and his father was an Oddfellow - are there any relations between the two guilds and is there any meaning to having a past family member be in one should you end up joining?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Figured I'd offer this up to any LA brothers, I have a job opening in Hollywood for a SysAdmin position.

I have the description posted up in the LA thread, but if you'd like more info, please feel free to shoot me a PM, or shoot me an email at aylesworth at google's mail service.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I got the Freemasonry for Dummies book in the mail today. Tickled me to see "Wizard of Smart" as the addressee. Haha. Glad to know the mail service will deliver it even if it's a whacked out name.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

UC Special Task Force Unit Operative
I decided to chance it, worst case it would get bounced back to me. Glad it went through OK

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
ATTN: KYOON_

We decided to forestall the end of the world for a little while, some of the brethren still have children in school and Reptilian hatchlings in the Yeerk Pools and they decided they want to see those children grow up / hatch before we immanentize the Eschaton. We're still waiting to firm up a new date but it probably won't be before 2027 as at least one 33rd Degree Mason's wife literally just spawned a brood last week (dumb timing, I know, right?).

Anyhow you can keep up to date on new plans from your usual sources.

Edit: on a serious note, the postal service doesn't care about the name on the address, just the address and the Zip Code. Name only comes up if it's a "signature needed" and even then only if the dude is busting your chops, and you just have to print as well as sign. My SASSmas gift came to Mr. Paramemetic.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

Paramemetic posted:

ATTN: KYOON_

We decided to forestall the end of the world for a little while, some of the brethren still have children in school and Reptilian hatchlings in the Yeerk Pools and they decided they want to see those children grow up / hatch before we immanentize the Eschaton. We're still waiting to firm up a new date but it probably won't be before 2027 as at least one 33rd Degree Mason's wife literally just spawned a brood last week (dumb timing, I know, right?).

Anyhow you can keep up to date on new plans from your usual sources.

Thank the Architect...I thought someone had screwed up the pick up scheduled and I was going to get left behind with the rest of the "food source" for the dark masters.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

Do the Wardens wear a hat in some jurisdictions? I was under the impression it was only the WM who wore a hat in lodge (and I suppose other brothers whose faith requires it).

In Danish Swedish Rite lodges all Master Masons wear top hats. And tailcoats, obviously. Sadly, we seem to be the only jurisdiction where people still dress properly. Even the rest of Scandinavia has mostly switched to dark suits by now.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Edit: on a serious note, the postal service doesn't care about the name on the address, just the address and the Zip Code. Name only comes up if it's a "signature needed" and even then only if the dude is busting your chops, and you just have to print as well as sign. My SASSmas gift came to Mr. Paramemetic.

My usual postman usually does, and will at least come to the door and ask if the parcel is supposed to be here - but then he knows me and knows who gets mail here. I guess I got used to that and forgot that it's not like that in most places :saddowns: The book is great so far!