Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

This is the best thing. :)

I knew it! Santa is part of the New World Order. And because Santa only shows up with Christmas.. Christmas must be a way to bainwash people!

But for real. I stumbled upon a dutch website yesterday about one of those conspiracy loonies, and there was this guy that was able to link all kind of massmurder and dictators to a global conspiracy.. because they he found pictures of them having their hand inside their jacket like Napoleon always did.

I am pretty sure the same kind of people are able to link Santa to something scary because of that picture.

How do most freemasons deal with this? Did anyone ever ran into angry people when they found out? I mean, I got into a fight last year because I was wearing a shirt with the number '88 on the back of it.. it had to do with the "birthday" of my sportclub. I ran into a guy that thought I was a Nazi, because the 8th letter of the alphabet is a "h". So 88 means "hh" which seems to be a aberration of heil Hitler.

Defuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Thatim posted:

How do most freemasons deal with this? Did anyone ever ran into angry people when they found out? I mean, I got into a fight last year because I was wearing a shirt with the number '88 on the back of it.. it had to do with the "birthday" of my sportclub. I ran into a guy that thought I was a Nazi, because the 8th letter of the alphabet is a "h". So 88 means "hh" which seems to be a aberration of heil Hitler.

Defuck.

I had a Catholic priest tell me I was in a dangerous cult and he quickly shied away from me, that's about as bad as I've gotten it. I've heard stories but it seems like these days most sane people are just ignorant of Freemasonry and don't have anything against it.

Edit: and the way we are supposed to deal with it is basically be the better person, when possible.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 30, 2012

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Thatim posted:

How do most freemasons deal with this?

Smile and wave boys, just smile and wave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPDeC7hyzRY

To be honest, I never had anyone go batshit insane on me but some people think I joined a cult or something and ask me pointy questions to make me see the error of my ways. Normally I change the subject.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

So was Santa good to everyone in this thread?

Has he the password?

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Thatim posted:

How do most freemasons deal with this? Did anyone ever ran into angry people when they found out?

My mother was telling a coworker that I'd joined the Masons and he said "You know they're all devil worshipers, right?" . . .

I'm just glad I wasn't in the blast radius and heard about it afterwards. She lit into him about how he'd just insulted me, my grandfather, a good portion of the teachers and faculty at the town's public schools, and so forth.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mrbill posted:

Has he the password?

He sees you when you're sleeping. He knows when you're awake. He knows if you've been bad or good. And he knows all your passwords. :ohdear:

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

So was Santa good to everyone in this thread?

Bro. Kringle is master of the lodge? Kudos.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Bro. Kringle is master of the lodge? Kudos.

North Pole Lodge No. 1

ETA: with no offense meant to members of North Pole Lodge No.16 https://www.facebook.com/NorthPoleFreemasons

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I always chuckle when I see aprons that have a thick-color trim like that.

It makes me wonder if the founders of Gmail were Masons, putting in a little inside joke...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

QPZIL posted:

It makes me wonder if the founders of Gmail were Masons, putting in a little inside joke...

You know, my girlfriend and I went to my Lodge's Installation before I was elected, and she said the same thing "When do you get a GMail apron?"

Was pretty :3:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

QPZIL posted:

It is amazingly similar.

I also end up thinking "two: put your junk in the envelope"

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Thanks to you fine goons, sent out a message to a local mason friend. Told him we should have a coffee sometime and talk a little further on the subject.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
COUNTDOWN TO 6013! :toot:

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

COUNTDOWN TO 6013! :toot:

50 minutes and counting in bonny Scotland. A toast to all you fine gentlemen, and here's to a prosperous and happy new year.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
:mason: 6013 AL :mason:

And to think, this wouldn't even have happened if we hadn't decided to postpone the Eschaton last month.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

mrbill posted:

Has he the password?

He has not. I have it for him.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

QPZIL posted:

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Fiat Lux, bitches !

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

CopRock posted:

Fiat Lux, bitches !

Sick, Theoricus ignis bud!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
My father is a Shriner and he had been pushing for me to join one of the local lodges once I had left the military, so he was a tad disappointed to hear that I'm an Atheist. His reaction was fairly surprising for a man that holds the church and all manner of superstition in open contempt, and I never really saw our world views as having any real fundamental difference.

That being said my mother at one time had been a member of a women's lodge known as The Order of The Eastern Star and I was wondering if any female goons could give us some insight on these organizations. I get the feeling the feeling they are much rarer than their male counterparts.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm a male goon, but I can talk a bit about OES. The Order is strongly oriented to women related to Masons, but men who are Master Masons are allowed to join. There are actually two positions that are male only, but it's mostly a symbolic thing. Overall it's pretty vanilla for an associated body with a similar officer structure, a bit more tied to the Christian Bible but doesn't actually require a specific religious belief. Initiation is a lot less fun though. Nobody goes for the full 8 seconds or anything like that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

mrbill posted:

She lit into him about how he'd just insulted me, my grandfather, a good portion of the teachers and faculty at the town's public schools, and so forth.

How deep does this rabbit hole go?? :tinfoil:

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Had our Stated meeting tonight, a visit from the DDGM (who happens to also be our Secretary), and I was called to the Altar and presented with my Endowed Membership certificate. :) You're stuck with me for good, now!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

mrbill posted:

Endowed Member

I chuckle every time.

Congrats, Brother!

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
I visited a nearby lodge last night. Their SD didn't show up so I volunteered for the night. I have to admit that I miss the ritual work. Next year I'm going to be the Tiler of another lodge (not the one that I stepped out of the line from.)

My question is: do you think it would be out of line to ask the district inspector to qualify me for the staircase lecture? I don't want to steal anyone's job, but it would be nice to know that I can still do it if it's needed. The main thing of course is that I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Lovable Luciferian posted:

My question is: do you think it would be out of line to ask the district inspector to qualify me for the staircase lecture? I don't want to steal anyone's job, but it would be nice to know that I can still do it if it's needed. The main thing of course is that I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

In this jurisdiction the only potential downside to such an action would be that you'd be asked what else you wanted to be qualified for. I've never run into a situation where making the pool of people who know the ritual broader and deeper was resented - sooner or later the regular guy is going to be sick or traveling and they'll need a backup. Here the smaller/more rural lodges always need people who can help out with the work as well.

Go for it brother.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

Glorified Scrivener posted:

In this jurisdiction the only potential downside to such an action would be that you'd be asked what else you wanted to be qualified for. I've never run into a situation where making the pool of people who know the ritual broader and deeper was resented - sooner or later the regular guy is going to be sick or traveling and they'll need a backup. Here the smaller/more rural lodges always need people who can help out with the work as well.

Go for it brother.

Seconded.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

UC Special Task Force Unit Operative
I looked in the last thread, and saw I first started thinking about joining in 2008. Tonight I meet with the closest lodge to me finally to get a tour of their building and talk about Freemasonry. So, only 4 years of fence sitting :)

One thing I found kind of interesting (and somewhat odd) is that after emailing the lodge's "for more information" address, it's been the Worshipful Master I've been talking to. I would think there would be other people handling these kinds of inquiries, especially since this lodge seems to be fairly robust in participation. I'm waiting to hear back from 2 other lodges I sent emails to, and neither has a phone number to call to follow up, but if tonight makes me think they're a good fit, I'll probably not worry about other visits.

Thanks to everyone in the thread, you've been a great help with answering my questions. Hopefully I can report back sometime this year about finishing up my Master Mason work.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

First off good for for taking in initiative to check us out. Sometimes the secretary handles it, sometimes some other officer does, but it's not uncommon (actually I'd say it is common) for the master to take interest in prospective members.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Not at all. At least around here, the more people that know the various lectures and ritual, the better. That way you don't end up with only having one guy who knows certain parts and so he then has to be part of EVERY EA or FC or MM degree.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

I visited a nearby lodge last night. Their SD didn't show up so I volunteered for the night. I have to admit that I miss the ritual work. Next year I'm going to be the Tiler of another lodge (not the one that I stepped out of the line from.)

Don't be suprised if they encourage you to learn all the lectures. It's a great idea.

Ari
Jun 18, 2002

Ask me about who Jewish girls should not marry!
I am standing about eight feet from the Grand Master of Florida. I know there's some discord with regard to some recent decisions that would affect some of my goon brothers... would anyone like me to ask him any questions that won't get me expelled?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Honestly I'm happy to let the collective GMs discuss it amongst themselves, and among the constituent Lodges from their states. Play it cool, man. Even if he's made a bad decision or two, he's still the Grand Master, and that's a true honor.

Ari
Jun 18, 2002

FreshFeesh posted:

Honestly I'm happy to let the collective GMs discuss it amongst themselves, and among the constituent Lodges from their states. Play it cool, man. Even if he's made a bad decision or two, he's still the Grand Master, and that's a true honor.

I'm glad you say so. We're already quite friendly, I don't want to ruin anything.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Ari posted:

I'm glad you say so. We're already quite friendly, I don't want to ruin anything.

Yeah it's best to keep it that way. I feel speaking to my grand lodge officers was more than enough in this situation. I briefly entertained the idea of calling the guy but really there's no reason to cause even more disharmony.

mrbill
Oct 14, 2002

Ari posted:

I am standing about eight feet from the Grand Master of Florida. I know there's some discord with regard to some recent decisions that would affect some of my goon brothers... would anyone like me to ask him any questions that won't get me expelled?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAg1r6zw7Bg

Seriously, just be polite and respectful, and the political situation will resolve itself.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Y'all had a much more polite response to Ari than myself.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Y'all had a much more polite response to Ari than myself.

A GM is just a man, goddamn the consequences , you and I both know that once the harmony of the institution, our strength is compromised, all of Masonry is at risk. What one state does forces others into a discussion that would otherwise never, and should never, happen. Now in Washington and almost every other Grand Lodge, people in Masonry are letting their politics and religious beliefs take over, and even those hyper-religious among us that think of Masonry as a 'Christian' institution are given a voice on a grand stage.

Those same people that think that anyone that does not accept Jesus as their savior is a heathen, those that would call Islam a terrorist religion, those that would let their own politics influence the organization, given the chance, are coming out of the woodwork and finding each other.

What the GM of Florida has done will no doubt be overturned, but the consequences of his actions will be felt for years to come. Now the debate of which religions can be admitted is common, and that my friends, is dangerous.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 4, 2013

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

I'm not disagreeing with you brother; there will be consequences for his actions. That said, there is a time and a place to bring up these matters and I feel the Grand Masters conference is probably the best place for this to be handled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ari
Jun 18, 2002

7thBatallion posted:

A GM is just a man, goddamn the consequences , you and I both know that once the harmony of the institution, our strength is compromised, all of Masonry is at risk. What one state does forces others into a discussion that would otherwise never, and should never, happen. Now in Washington and almost every other Grand Lodge, people in Masonry are letting their politics and religious beliefs take over, and even those hyper-religious among us that think of Masonry as a 'Christian' institution are given a voice on a grand stage.

Those same people that think that anyone that does not accept Jesus as their savior is a heathen, those that would call Islam a terrorist religion, those that would let their own politics influence the organization, given the chance, are coming out of the woodwork and finding each other.

What the GM of Florida has done will no doubt be overturned, but the consequences of his actions will be felt for years to come. Now the debate of which religions can be admitted is common, and that my friends, is dangerous.

I am not a Christian, I don't accept Jesus as my lord and savior, and I am most certainly a religious person in my own religion. I also happen to look extremely Jewish. The GM of Florida hasn't thrown me out for not being Christian, nor did he throw out the more than half of my lodge who showed up tonight for not being Christian.

(On an interesting note - he was the installing officer tonight, which is, I'm told, pretty rare. He closed the lodge tonight, not in form or in due form, but in "ample form". It was kinda cool.)

I'm not disagreeing with you brother; there will be consequences for his actions. That said, there is a time and a place to bring up these matters and I feel the Grand Masters conference is probably the best place for this to be handled.

I don't think there will be consequences for his actions with respect to whether or not he'll retain his status as a Mason or anything, but this will most likely be overturned. At the very least, he'll receive strong feedback, one way or the other, at the conference. To avoid the risk of causing trouble for myself, I've chosen not to bring it up to him, as he does definitely know me (greeted me by name tonight, I didn't even know he was showing up).