Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

QPZIL posted:

I've been speaking with the secretaries of both the York Rite and Scottish Rite about joining up. The next YR festival is in March and the next SR reunion is in April, so I've got plenty of time to consider and think about it.

I'm dead set on the SR, as it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. But, in the interest of furthering my Masonic education, I'm also looking at the YR. Would there be much to gain from a non-Christian joining? I know the Commandery is focused on the Jesus story, and have a requirement of being a Christian to join, but is it worth going through just the Chapter and Council?

Chapter has some nice lectures, but the best (in my opinion) is in the Cryptic Council. Those who have taken the Cryptic degrees will know which what I mean, as will you when/if you take it. I can wholeheartedly recommend both Chapter and Council to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

I don't think York Rite requires you to be a Christian, but they do ask you to swear to defend Christianity.

Take that to mean whatever you'd like, I guess.

More specifically, Commandery does.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
That all makes sense. I can support "defending" even though I may not believe that particular story. No harm in it either way I suppose.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

QPZIL posted:

I know the Commandery is focused on the Jesus story, and have a requirement of being a Christian to join, but is it worth going through just the Chapter and Council?

If you have the means, both SR and YR have some very beautiful ritual work.

Commandery really has some of the most powerful work in Masonry and most people say that the Order of the Temple is more beautiful/impressive than anything else they have experienced (33rd included). You also do not have to be a Christian to join Commandery, but in the final order you will be asked to swear to defend the Christian religion -- however, this can be seen as allegorical rather than literal. I know several Jewish Sir Knights and members of several other religions so take that as you will. I was Commander for two terms and I most certainly am not a Christian and I feel like I really did get a lot out of it.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

QPZIL posted:

I've been speaking with the secretaries of both the York Rite and Scottish Rite about joining up. The next YR festival is in March and the next SR reunion is in April, so I've got plenty of time to consider and think about it.

I'm dead set on the SR, as it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. But, in the interest of furthering my Masonic education, I'm also looking at the YR. Would there be much to gain from a non-Christian joining? I know the Commandery is focused on the Jesus story, and have a requirement of being a Christian to join, but is it worth going through just the Chapter and Council?

Are you thinking of joining in GBO ? If so, you couldn't have picked a better time, there is a renewed zeal among the bodies that is contagious and inspiring.Last night was our Jan. Lodge of Perfection and the call was put out to ramp up membership this year. If you have any questions about S.R., or specifically Greensboro S.R., come at me bro.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cholmondeley posted:

Are you thinking of joining in GBO ? If so, you couldn't have picked a better time, there is a renewed zeal among the bodies that is contagious and inspiring.Last night was our Jan. Lodge of Perfection and the call was put out to ramp up membership this year. If you have any questions about S.R., or specifically Greensboro S.R., come at me bro.

Yep! My home lodge is in Greensboro (Gate City 694), so having a SR room in the same building would be convenient :)

Was there any word at the meeting when the reunion would be? I talked with the secretary but he said that a date hadn't been set yet. I'm guessing April sometime, that's so far awayyyy :negative:

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Spring reunion is April 26-27, and would be the one I would recommend. They are thinking about spreading out the Fall reunion over 3 months or so.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cholmondeley posted:

Spring reunion is April 26-27, and would be the one I would recommend. They are thinking about spreading out the Fall reunion over 3 months or so.

I'm there.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Hell yeah ! If you need a signature or anything, let me know, I'd be proud to recommend you.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I can't guarantee I'll be around in April, but we'll see! My fiancee (as of two weeks ago :toot: ) and I are trying to move out of state, so we'll see what happens.

What lodge are you a member of? I don't think I remember seeing you mention being from the area before!

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/notes/cambridge-royal-arch-chapter/stolen-please-help-6-masonic-swords-gone/346936452080778

fb posted:

Between Wednesday night after 8:30pm and Thursday 4pm, six (6) Royal Arch Chapter Swords were STOLEN from the main lodge room at the Cambridge Masonic Temple. These are the ONLY swords Cambridge has and are used in every RA degree since 1870. A police investigation has started as well as other Non-Cambridge police are searching pawn shops throughout New England. I am searching ebay, auctioneers sites, craigslist and other sites to find them. The are EXTREMELY special to Cambridge. I have enclosed photos of a similar sword, since these swords were not in the collection they were not photographed. The are 36-40 inches long. Brass Knight Templar helmet as the pommel. The handle is fluted, and made out of either bone or ivory. The handle wings are brass with a steel blade. The blade has Masonic and Chapter emblems hand etched onto the blade and on one side is the name Cambridge Royal Arch Chapter. The scabbards/sheaths were re-leathered some 30 years ago, 3 in red, one in white, one in blue, one in purple. For the age of the swords and scabbards they are in excellent condition.
I am posting a reward of 50 bucks for their return. If the police find the person or persons involved I WILL PROSECUTE to the fullest of the law. But if returned I will pay the 50 dollars with no questions asked. I understand that 50 dollars is not a lot today, but this is personnel to me and it is all I can afford at this time.
Please share this if you can on your facebook site and pass the word. Please keep an eye out if you can for these relics which mean so much to us at Cambridge and play a most important role in Chapter Masonry.
I thank you for your time and God bless
Keith MacKINNON
curator and historian
Cambridge Masonic Temple
High Priest Cambridge RAC.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

QPZIL posted:

I can't guarantee I'll be around in April, but we'll see! My fiancee (as of two weeks ago :toot: ) and I are trying to move out of state, so we'll see what happens.

What lodge are you a member of? I don't think I remember seeing you mention being from the area before!

Well, I hope you do make it in April, it looks to be a great reunion. I'm a member of Columbus 102 in Pittsboro, and Mosaic 762 in Chapel Hill.

stik
Apr 19, 2008

I just did my EA degree. It was a very interesting experience and I'm glad I finally did it. I am unfortunately going to have to either fly back up for FC and MM or do them back in TX. This job ended a couple months earlier than expected.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

stik posted:

I just did my EA degree. It was a very interesting experience and I'm glad I finally did it. I am unfortunately going to have to either fly back up for FC and MM or do them back in TX. This job ended a couple months earlier than expected.

Congrats Brother.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Two Masonic funerals in two weeks. :( Travel well, my brothers.

EtchaSketch
Jul 17, 2002
The girl can lay as flat as possible while still getting the hole to your dick, thus elevating her ass slightly. Then, tuck in your abs and extend your tongue to the clit/surrounding areas.
While I understand that all members and applicants must be of good moral character, how would this apply to someone who was formerly affiliated with a gang or organized crime group that has seen the error of that life and strives now to do what is right? Is it a rule that applies to having lived an entirely righteous life or is forgiveness allowed for past transgressions?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

EtchaSketch posted:

While I understand that all members and applicants must be of good moral character, how would this apply to someone who was formerly affiliated with a gang or organized crime group that has seen the error of that life and strives now to do what is right? Is it a rule that applies to having lived an entirely righteous life or is forgiveness allowed for past transgressions?

My personal opinion is it's the man you are now that matters, and the man you want to become through the Craft.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

EtchaSketch posted:

Is it a rule that applies to having lived an entirely righteous life or is forgiveness allowed for past transgressions?

There's some grey area here based on whether or not you've been caught and formally charged and how much you tell people if not. The simple fact is if you were charged with something that may be enough in some jurisdictions to keep you out (for a few more years at least, if we're talking something that happened 20 years ago I think you could make a compelling case to the older members). If this is something behind you and you were never caught, I'm not sure if you should feel obligated to tell anyone (others may disagree). The point of Masonry is to make good men better, not to keep perfect men perfect.

Personally speaking, if this was something far behind you (even if you were charged with something) I wouldn't care. If this is something that ended six months ago then I'd probably care even if it was behind you now, simply because it'd be a bit too close to have fully escaped all the impacts of, if that makes sense. :)

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

There's some grey area here based on whether or not you've been caught and formally charged and how much you tell people if not. The simple fact is if you were charged with something that may be enough in some jurisdictions to keep you out (for a few more years at least, if we're talking something that happened 20 years ago I think you could make a compelling case to the older members). If this is something behind you and you were never caught, I'm not sure if you should feel obligated to tell anyone (others may disagree). The point of Masonry is to make good men better, not to keep perfect men perfect.

Personally speaking, if this was something far behind you (even if you were charged with something) I wouldn't care. If this is something that ended six months ago then I'd probably care even if it was behind you now, simply because it'd be a bit too close to have fully escaped all the impacts of, if that makes sense. :)

I agree with Wafflehound, for the most part the GL of IL agrees as well. Unless you are convicted of a felony, conviction is the distinction on paper for them.

Unrelated note, do other jurisdictions have the Type X schools or is that an IL thing? I attended a Type 4 class last Saturday and going to a Type 2 in a few weeks. It was really cool to spend 2 hours with the Grand Lodges board of examiners going over floor work and getting in to the minutia of it all.

imac1984
May 3, 2004

Just found out I'm taking the Mark Master degree on Monday night. I'm super excited to be getting another degree again! I have absolutely NO clue what to expect either. Is it done the same basic way as the first 3 degrees (ie the "preparation")? Any info any York Rite brothers here could offer without ruining the surprise of the whole experience would be fantastic.

Congrats to Stik for taking the EA degree and welcome, brother!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Well, from what I've been reading, some people/jurisdictions consider the Mark Master degree to be the true final degree of the Blue Lodge, so take that for what you will.

On that note, I'm joining York Rite in March so I'll find out then too!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

QPZIL posted:

Well, from what I've been reading, some people/jurisdictions consider the Mark Master degree to be the true final degree of the Blue Lodge, so take that for what you will.

On that note, I'm joining York Rite in March so I'll find out then too!

This is the case as I understand it in Scotland and other bodies receiving their charter from the GL of Scotland. Mark Master isn't really a higher degree, but it "completes" the third degree, such that Master Mason without the Mark Master is kind of a half-Master degree - still a Master Mason, with all the privileges, rights, and responsibilities so accompanying it, but not quite a complete Master.

I'd like clarification from some of our Scottish brethren if possible on that point, I'm only saying what I'd gathered from my travels there.

I want to do that degree, but don't know if I want to rock York Rite. I'm strongly considering Scottish Rite soon though, got an invite to a "one day class," but I'm kinda meh about those. So we'll see.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

QPZIL posted:

Well, from what I've been reading, some people/jurisdictions consider the Mark Master degree to be the true final degree of the Blue Lodge

All of the degrees in Chapter are similar to what you are used to, however there are usually quite a few props used and even entire sets. They are all really cool and I enjoyed them more than Council but less than Commandery.

In many jurisdictions incoming WM must receive the Past Master's degree which you too will experience (however the PM's degree is usually put on by people that aren't even in YR and I generally hear it is terrible compared to what a YR Chapter will confer.)

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

This is the case as I understand it in Scotland and other bodies receiving their charter from the GL of Scotland. Mark Master isn't really a higher degree, but it "completes" the third degree, such that Master Mason without the Mark Master is kind of a half-Master degree - still a Master Mason, with all the privileges, rights, and responsibilities so accompanying it, but not quite a complete Master.

I'd like clarification from some of our Scottish brethren if possible on that point, I'm only saying what I'd gathered from my travels there.

I want to do that degree, but don't know if I want to rock York Rite. I'm strongly considering Scottish Rite soon though, got an invite to a "one day class," but I'm kinda meh about those. So we'll see.

The Mark is conferred in Scotland based on an agreement between Supreme Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Scotland and the Grand Lodge of Scotland. The Mark Master Mason degree is a prequisite of taking the Royal Arch here, however there is no compulsion to go further into the 'York rite' beyond the Mark if you do not wish. It is a nice degree, and well worth taking if you can.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Been invited to the local lodge's meeting tonight. :dance: I'm excited.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I've just posted many of our 2013 installation photos to our Lodge's Facebook page. More than a month of stress and planning for everything to come together for two hours. Still though, a great time was had by all.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski

FreshFeesh posted:

I've just posted many of our 2013 installation photos to our Lodge's Facebook page. More than a month of stress and planning for everything to come together for two hours. Still though, a great time was had by all.

That's a pretty good photo, It's got the right balance of warm friendly smiles vs formal surroundings. Except for the brothers at the front, they look like serial killers...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

FreshFeesh posted:

You are the smug goon in the blue shirt?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Nah, I'm the stony WM in the front-center. I'm not the biggest fan of posed photography, but I'm glad we got at least one good shot of our officers for this year.

Something I'm very proud of is that we have no Past Masters in the progressive line at all -- everyone from our Steward up to the Senior Warden wore the white carnation; a trend I hope to see continue for some time into the future.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That dude in the back's beard is pretty awesome.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Got an application last night, and even had a MM sign for me already. That's one of three. When they asked how I heard about/what interested me I referenced a "group of friends" that were masons.

I also asked about the goat.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
There wasn't a spot on the application asking if you were allergic?

Maybe they're using those hypoallergenic goats now ...

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Random news from my province - a brother in a local lodge was recognised for his 75th anniversary of joining the Craft. He's 98 years old and still as spry as ever, and has never taken office during that whole time.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Innerguard posted:

has never taken office during that whole time.
True secret of a long happy life.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Are any of you a member of the Turtle Club?

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

Are any of you a member of the Turtle Club?

You bet your sweet rear end I am.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm gonna disclaimer this with I don't think I know any Masons so pardon my ignorance.

Are the majority of Masons (capitalized?) white? Or I guess a better question would be, are they accepting of minorities and non-Christians? I think every time I've seen a picture of the local Masonic lodges and such they've always been a bunch of old white dudes.

How does one get involved with such an organization? I find the idea intriguing but I'm not incredibly sure how to make inroads, since again, a bunch of old white dudes.

Is there a lot of money involved for initiation? I know with the frats at my university there was always a mid to sizeable fee involved in the process somewhere

I know you probably can't talk about it but what's the general process for a meeting? Is it just kind of "hey we're doing a sexy old white guy charity car wash this week who's buying the mankinis?" or is there a lot of scripture (?) or whatnot involved?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I've met Brothers of all races at ordinary lodges all around the country and the world, and nobody has had a problem. As for getting in touch with them, I sent my local lodge an e-mail one day out of boredom. They all turned out to be awesome guys and I found out afterwords several people I'd known for huge chunks of my life had been Masons and I never knew it.

v:shobon:v

e. Very little money, I went greek a few years after becoming a Mason and yeah that was fuckoff expensive in comparison.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I'm gonna disclaimer this with I don't think I know any Masons so pardon my ignorance.

Are the majority of Masons (capitalized?) white? Or I guess a better question would be, are they accepting of minorities and non-Christians? I think every time I've seen a picture of the local Masonic lodges and such they've always been a bunch of old white dudes.

How does one get involved with such an organization? I find the idea intriguing but I'm not incredibly sure how to make inroads, since again, a bunch of old white dudes.

Is there a lot of money involved for initiation? I know with the frats at my university there was always a mid to sizeable fee involved in the process somewhere

I know you probably can't talk about it but what's the general process for a meeting? Is it just kind of "hey we're doing a sexy old white guy charity car wash this week who's buying the mankinis?" or is there a lot of scripture (?) or whatnot involved?

Okay, I'll try to field these:

A lodge will generally (hopefully) reflect the diversity of the community of which it is a part. The current master of my mother lodge in New Mexico is of african-american descent and a large percentage of the membership is Hispanic, with several other races and nationalities represented. I live in Montana now and the lodge here is overwhelmingly Caucasian, but so is the community.

Realistically, the smaller the community, the more white I'd expect a lodge to be. Depending on where you live, there could also be cultural or historical factors at work. Anyway they should be quite welcoming of those of different faiths and all, though sometimes I run into folks who just don't have that much experience being around different people. Again, that's the community as well.

You become involved by asking; call your local lodge or email them if they have a website and ask when they meet and if you could come by to meet members and find out more about masonry. Every lodge I've been to in America has a light meal before the regular meeting and this is open to the public. Go a couple of times and talk to different people - no one set of brothers reflects the makeup of a lodge. Also, if there is more than one lodge in your area, go to both.

As for making in-roads, well, you do know some old white dudes are pretty cool, right? Especially if you take the time to talk to them and all.

Fees vary. I haven't seen any north of $200, but I don't live in L.A. or Manhattan either.

Regular meetings nights involve a formal prayer at the opening and closing and some formal ritual. Here in the States we generally say the pledge of allegiance as well. The rest of it, when a degree isn't being conferred, does consist of the same sort of business that occupies the time of any organization - meeting minutes, committee reports, discussion, presentation of bills for goat feed, lectures, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

e. Very little money, I went greek a few years after becoming a Mason and yeah that was fuckoff expensive in comparison.

The number I was quoted seemed kind of steep and in fact may be my biggest barrier to joining right away.

Eta:

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Fees vary. I haven't seen any north of $200, but I don't live in L.A. or Manhattan either.

I was told "$300 to $400," and I live in a smallish town in Washington.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 21, 2013