Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The lodge is tiled accordingly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

The current order of business is "gently caress Florida".

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 18, 2012

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Snowy posted:

I can vouch for this place, the oldest hat shop in Brooklyn: http://www.bencrafthats.com/

Edit- I like this one:

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=169&subcname=Felt+Hats

Good thing I'm not in a hat-wearing position just yet.

Same hat, but Beaver Brand. Both myself and the previous WM wear the same hat. Except I had to take it off in Lodge. And find a shop that will reshape the hat for life.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So I'm going to be making mead over the next six months, since we just voted to have meetings year round, with July and August's dress code being "clothing of some sort."

Would it be completely uncool to have the square and compasses sealed n wax on the bottles.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

This is the exact kind of thing that would be cool.

Now I want to make Masonic Hot Sauce. Plenty of Third-degree burn jokes in there.

Just to make it all the better, I'll be putting the mead in 8.5 oz. round bottles.

Now, where do I find the right wax sealing stamp?

And should I flavor it with, fruit, berries or mulling spices?

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 23, 2012

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Snowy posted:

I've been meaning to get a bottle of this:

http://www.lombardscotchwhisky.com/oldmasters.htm

Congratulations, you just came up with the perfect excuse to get a sweet new signet ring!

But I'm only an EAM...
Oooooh!
http://www.customwaxnseals.net/masonic-1-entered-apprentic-mason/

It's not a ring, it's 1/6 the price, and is proper one with both ends of the compass under the bible.
I know what I want for my birthday. Along with an airlock. Actual several airlocks.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 23, 2012

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The Cleaner posted:

I hope to someday join a Free Mason lodge. They seem like a great way to better myself and the world around me. However, a little about myself..

- I am half black.

- I was not "born free" as I was born to slave owners on a Haitian farm originally.

- I suppose I identify as male, but I was born transgendered.

- I believe in a singular creator, that creator is Lucifer.

Would I face any intolerance while attempting to join the Free Masons?

In Texas, yes.

Anywhere else, probably not, but some other Brothers here could answer better

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Paramemetic posted:

Cool but potentially hairy territory depending on your Grand Lodge. I'm sure in Washington you'd be fine, but it's worth noting that the Square and Compasses is not allowed for use as a trademark except by the Grand Lodge for each jurisdiction, with a notable exception being a cattle brand that predates the trademark registry in the US.

As for whether to flavor your mead, well, that depends heavily on the quality of your honey.

I'm not selling this, just making it for my own will and pleasure. And giving it to fellow Brothers out of state assuming they can chip in for shipping.

And yeah, mulled spice mead, aged 7 months. I'll start working on it around my birthday. It'll be done in August, shipping in September, in 8 oz potion style bottles. Assuming I actually do this.

Brother Maser's mulled honey elixir. Instantaneous cure for sleeplessness, depression, toothache, arthritis, catharsis, and all manner of injuries. Cures malaria, asthma, baldness, dysentery, and the common cold. Cuts will leave no scars, old injuries will heal. Mends broken bones. Results guaranteed!

With the bible opened to Psalms 133 and the square and compasses aligned as for an EAM Inn place of whatever on the label..

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 23, 2012

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Please tell me you're kidding.

Would you expect any less from that state's Grand Lodge?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I'm in no rush to prove up to Fellowcraft, my coach wants me to hurry the process up, but I'm all about taking my time. Is that a bad thing? If I take a year or so to make it to Master, will it be some mark against me?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Snowy posted:

I've been meaning to get a bottle of this:

http://www.lombardscotchwhisky.com/oldmasters.htm

Congratulations, you just came up with the perfect excuse to get a sweet new signet ring!

It's called Old Master's, yet the [REDACTED] are arranged for a [REDACTED]

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 24, 2012

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

My journey started years ago in the predecessor to this thread. I had dinner at few times at local lodges, then life got confusing. I got laid off, moved in with a friend in Bothell, and after what seemed like an eternity I finally turned in my petition thanks to this thread, and a particular Brother from... Norway? Either way, now I'm an EAM and all of the secrets of Freemasonry are mine! Bwahahaha!

Nah, it's cool, it gives me a sense of brotherhood that I never had growing up, inlets me give back to the community, and the food kicks rear end. Win-Win for me.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So who all is interested in mead? Email me Kilo147 at live dot com.

I'll be making at least three gallons. Maybe five. One plain with clover honey, another with mulling spices and, one with orange, and if I do extra, one made with raspberry, and one blackberry. I'll do the plain first and make a new batch every month until I get bored or run out of space or supplies. Or money.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 30, 2012

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Y'all had a much more polite response to Ari than myself.

A GM is just a man, goddamn the consequences , you and I both know that once the harmony of the institution, our strength is compromised, all of Masonry is at risk. What one state does forces others into a discussion that would otherwise never, and should never, happen. Now in Washington and almost every other Grand Lodge, people in Masonry are letting their politics and religious beliefs take over, and even those hyper-religious among us that think of Masonry as a 'Christian' institution are given a voice on a grand stage.

Those same people that think that anyone that does not accept Jesus as their savior is a heathen, those that would call Islam a terrorist religion, those that would let their own politics influence the organization, given the chance, are coming out of the woodwork and finding each other.

What the GM of Florida has done will no doubt be overturned, but the consequences of his actions will be felt for years to come. Now the debate of which religions can be admitted is common, and that my friends, is dangerous.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 4, 2013

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Ari posted:

I am not a Christian, I don't accept Jesus as my lord and savior, and I am most certainly a religious person in my own religion. I also happen to look extremely Jewish. The GM of Florida hasn't thrown me out for not being Christian, nor did he throw out the more than half of my lodge who showed up tonight for not being Christian.

I'm saying that his ruling has brought out a lot of people that feel that freemasonry should only allow certain religions, and due to the fact that it is a GMs ruling, it sets precedence. There are a lot of masons that think that Freemasonry should be Christian only, or not allowed any monotheistic religions or non-Abrahanic religions. Nowhere near a majority, but all it takes is one in the right position. That is why this is so dangerous. I mean hell, I'm a deist, I don't call God by any name, thought I think GAOTU is fitting . I don't believe in miracles, and I don't believe in prayer. If Odinism and Gnosticism aren't safe, I sure as hell am next on the chopping block.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 4, 2013

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I never said Ari should confront the GM. I probably would, but privately, and over scotch if possible. Just saying.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Temper your passions. ;)

Temperance is a virtue, and something I as an EAM must remember. Which is why I keep my discontent about Florida's GM on this here forum.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Well, new job and I'm working during every meeting. It'll be months til I can start requesting specific days off regularly. What do I do in the meantime? I've been away from lodge and my brothers for... 3 months now.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

My WM just contacted me via Facebook asking where I have been, and if I want to head to Daylight Lodge #232 up in Green Lake. By the time meetings come around there at 10am on Saturdays I'm utterly exhausted, and usually still asleep, but when the WM offers to bring you to a lodge, you don't really turn that down, do you?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I suppose I could go to my old standby from when I had to pull the occasional 16 hour shift three days in a row. With two hours of commute. Triple shot in a short glass with breve to cool it down to not burning hot.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Keetron, don't I owe you like, $250 or something?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Made it to lodge. Not my normal one, though. A Phillipino lodge. Well not officially, but like, 80% of the membership is from the Philippines and they just voted on two more.

drat is the food good.

On the sad side Yancey C. Blalock lodge will be closing down. They just cant afford the property anymore. They have new locations lined up, but still.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

New question. What part can I play in the funeral process as an EAM?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Can I be a Pall Bearer or just there for support?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Well, heading to a funeral this Saturday. Helped with the practice, stood in as the bible bearer, WM forgot I was an EA and had me sign as a MM. The practice was fun, dreading the actual funeral. I lack black suits, and the armbands will be last minute. So we'll see how this all turns out.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

But the very first part of the initiation process is signing in as a candidate in the guest book? How is that checking gender?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Carbolic posted:

If being a Mason is so great, wouldn't you want to share it? It just seems like the more Masonry is awesome, the worse the reasons are to keep it a boys' club only.
I'd love to let a few women see what all the hullabaloo is about, if only to see what they thought. While I think the men only rule should stand, if only because of tradition, it would be nice to have the fairer sex get a glimpse into our awesome meetings and actions. Outside of The History Channel.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Sub Rosa posted:

Still not really getting it. I've only seen EAs in my home jurisdiction so maybe we do something different.

Yeah, nope. I was never bare-chested.

We put our candidates in clothing like this.

You'll notice there are flaps in the chest area which may be opened and all modesty be retained.

Ours have to be at least 50 years old or so. Tattered, faded, and beat to all hell. We want to get new ones, but every time someone mentions it, they get shot down. For chrissakes, the founder of Woodinville probably wore those.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

What the hell jurisdiction requires you to be without underwear? Scottish Rite?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

MB13 posted:

Being a member of 3 lodges that use the Scottish Rite rituals for EA, FC and MM, as well as having just completed the 32nd this past weekend, I can tell you that it is not the SR. I don't know of any ritual system that requires nudity. Top half, yes. But certainly not anything else.

And women, if allowed, would no doubt be allowed bras, conservative at that.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Seriously though, how are yours in such good shape? I mean after like, half a dozen times with the goat ours lost the rear end and we had to replace it with some materials that the Jobies had spare. It's pretty great though. The rear end is now pink and has giant letters spelling YOB at an awkward diagonal.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 11, 2013

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

It is the duty of all Masons to help their fellow Brothers. While the family may not be masons, we should all consider them our extended family. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3544799&pagenumber=1&perpage=40.

Lets see what we can do.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Shyfted One posted:

I've been considering joining for years and since I have the free time to get started right now I'd like to join a lodge. My uncle and grandfather are/were in the Knights of Columbus, but I'm not a practicing Catholic and don't intend to change that any time soon. I recently moved down here and it'd also be nice to get to know some more people.

I don't know why, but there are a lot of lodges in Greenville, SC http://goo.gl/maps/QIiSA

Why so many lodges? And what would be the easiest way to find out how they are different? Eat a lot of spaghetti? What are some of the things that would make a lodge more progressive vs conservative?

The best way to find out is visit all of them, talk to the members, and see what lodge fits you best. Eat a lot of food, meet a lot of people, smoke some cigars, and make some friends in the process. We are good people, we don't bite, and we may or may not have dirty jokes.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

It's been half a year or so since I was made an EAM. Is it a bad idea to wait until the same day I was initiated to get passed, and another year to be raised? Everyone says it's a loooong time, I don't mind the wait, though.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

FreshFeesh posted:

Are you ready and willing to be passed to the degree of Fellowcraft? If so, go for it. Some people get their degrees in the spam of a few months, some (in select jurisdictions) all in the same day, and some wait years to progress.

Just because you are advanced to a new degree doesn't mean you can't study the lessons or symbols presented in the former body of work.

I advise the men of my Lodge to advance at a speed they feel comfortable with, no matter how "slow," so long as they are working toward that advancement, and/or deeper understanding.

On the other hand, significant dates are cool.

Not yet ready. Have 1/2 of the posting lecture down. I'm taking my drat sweet time, and it wasn't a significant date until I was initiated.

But if I forget a line in the lecture, I'll never hear the end of it.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Yeah, the only things that are secret are those which can be used to identify other masons. Oaths, handshakes, specific words, phrases, etc. Except in Washington where everything is secret.

So I'm not sure what I can say, really.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

stubblyhead posted:

This is incorrect.

More of a callback to something WaffleDong said when I was first initiated.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

A man died tonight. Suicide. I'll never know what went through his mind, nor how long he has planned this. Odds are I know him maybe in passing, maybe he's one of my drinking buddies. All I know is it was in my neighborhood. If I can get time off work, I plan on attending his funeral. A suicide is a sad thing, and even if I'm the only person there, even if I can't say a single thing about him, he was someone I've no doubt run across, and by that, it is my duty to pay my respects.

When I was initiated, I was told that I was to wear my Apron, my symbol of purity throughout a honorable life until the day I pass from this realm to that house, not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. Is there any reason whatsoever I cannot wear it there?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Pope on fire posted:

4. Profess a belief in God.

See it's this one that made me not join up when my Grandfather wanted me to. Athiest and all, wouldn't feel right pretending otherwise.

Question is, do you think many Freemasons are actually non religious and just pretend otherwise to stay in the order?

I'm a deist. I'm as non religious as it gets. I don't believe in prayer, I find man endlessly fallible and as thus I avoid church, and if I have to go I usually argue with the pastor over the 'gays are evil, Muslims are the enemy' sermons I somehow always walk into. I was made a Mason, and although I don't get half the bible references, I still enjoy it. I know Masons that practice Islam, a Buddhist, one Catholic, which is funny for its own reasons, I know many liberals, I know a tea partier. We come from all beliefs and walks of life.

Politics and religion are off limits during lodge events and generally frowned upon when with fellow Masons. Only when it involves lodge matters should it be brought up. (Such as the Florida monotheism debacle) Harmony is our strength, and nothing should disrupt that.

I also miss lodge all the fricking time. At this rate I'll go three times a year thanks to an unforgiving work schedule. I'm far from an ideal Mason. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

We're back to the why no atheists in freemasonry part of the thread. If I remember correctly the previous part was why can't women join freemasonry. So, I'm guessing that we're due for the "what happens if a freemason joins then has a sex change" part of the thread.

How come no one ever asks why Americans get to wear hats in blue lodge, and nobody else does? I find that to be a divisive subject.

Only The WM gets to wear a hat! At least in my part of the country.