Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Carbolic posted:

So do any Masons actually want women to be able to join?

Reading through the thread, some people have been very up-front that they like being part of an organization that doesn't allow women to be involved. Others have sort of skirted the issue by saying "welp, it's impossible, so there's no point discussing it."

For those who are perfectly fine with being part of an organization that excludes women: what if Masonry had also always had a "whites only" requirement? If you are white, would you be equally comfortable being a member? If you are not white, would you be comfortable being excluded ("oh well, that's just the rules, too bad I can't join")? Why / why not?

In 100 years, how do you think society will view the "no women" rule?

I don't want mainstream Freemasonry to become co-ed, I enjoy it as it is. As far as whites only policy that was sort of in place in the United States at some point, though Prince Hall lodges have been around almost as long as the Unites States has.

Anyway, I'd venture to say most masons in the United States enjoy it being male only.

EDIT:

Also this matter is addressed in the OP and on the first page of the thread. I wish this question would go away: I don't want to join P.E.O. and I don't ask their members loaded questions regarding race as to why men can't join.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Carbolic posted:

I haven't presented any argument. I'm asking questions because I'm curious whether members of a particular fraternity (the Masons) see any parallels between a fraternity and a "whites only" organization, and whether they think that posterity will view fraternities in the same light as "whites only" organizations are viewed by most of society now. I don't believe these questions been asked in this thread before. I agree with Lovable Luciferian that these can be considered loaded questions but I can't really think of a more polite way to ask. This is, after all, an "Ask us" thread.

There have been a couple of mentions in the thread about a former "whites only" rule as well as one mention of a former "no maimed man" rule. I'd be curious to hear more about those rules, how widely adopted they were, and how they were changed -- and what made those rules different from the immutable "no women" or "must profess belief in God" rules. The OP mentions a historical schism that resulted in parallel sets of lodges between white Masons and black Masons but it is not clear whether this arose from de facto or de jure discrimination.

I'm going to rephrase the first question for my own benefit, please tell me if I misunderstood the spirit of it. Will Freemasonry be on the wrong side of history for being a men's only group? The answer is maybe.

In regards to black men and Prince Hall lodges: that was and still is a massive clusterfuck. I've heard theories that Prince Hall lodges were rejected because at the time regular grand lodges in the United States thought their charter was bogus, which seems to be the prevailing theory today. Why they haven't been fully recognized and are still not recognized in some states seems to boil down to two main things in my view. The first of which being old racist bastards don't want to let them in. The second being a very weird issue of jurisdiction. We don't seem to like having two grand lodges in the same geographical region and the Prince Hall lodges in the united states want to keep their own grand lodges. Also many Prince Hall lodges don't want to become fully integrated with us.

The maiming issue is a whole lot easier to handle. Since once upon a time Freemasonry was an operative stone mason guild it was a requirement that a man be in good health when he joined so he didn't become a financial drain on the guild.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 7, 2013

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flying Fortress posted:

Don't worry, we're not plotting new ways to oppress women at our meetings.

This reminds me of something that caught me off guard after I joined. After I was raised and started going to meetings regularly I assumed it was going to be bunch of grouchy old men complaining about their wives. It was the exact opposite. Every time I hear a wife, mother, or whatever mentioned it's always about how amazing they are for putting up with us or something similar. Obviously I can only speak for the half dozen or so lodges I've been to but that is honestly the case, and it was really refreshing to discover.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

lord1234 posted:

Ours are all made to fit both the initiate and the...well you know. I had to tie them around each other to form a sort of belt at some stages...

You guys don't use bungee cord in your jurisdiction?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

The idea that we're secretly pulling the strings of all world governments is pretty laughable--as a whole we are barely able to plan a spaghetti dinner for twenty or so guys once a month, much less run the entire world.

I used to give that answer to people in real life. Now I just say "Yes" or if they ask if we are a cult I'll also just say yes.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Silly outfits ITT

Come on ladies. :getin:

(I'm mocking women wanting to join, not the fact that you look dapper as gently caress, Brother.)

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

I see your Silly outfit, and reply with my silly outfit. I wore it for the first time last Thursday.
This is what a KT dresses like in The Great Priory of New South Wales and ACT.

Is that you in the picture?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Last week we initiated a guy. It's all solemn, he's there at the altar, and after all the solemnity, he's ordered to arise. The conductor tugs at his hand to get him to stand up, and he proceed to confusedly stand up and start climbing up onto the altar.

Queue about 5 guys going, "n-n-no no NO...!"

Ahhh, fun in the lodge.

Holy crap, if he stays active no one will ever let him live that down.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

The only secret is what exactly we keep secret :tinfoil:

No kidding. That trips me up more than anything else.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Crankit posted:

I was under the impression that sexism was discrimination against women, you're in an organisation that disallows (i.e. discrimnates against someone) because they are women (i.e. sex based discrimination).

I just checked the definition of sexism: Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

It sounds to me like freemasons who don't let women in their freemasonry group are sexists, but maybe I'm confused by some of the complex terminology.

This argument comes up every few pages with the same faulty logic.

Edit:

Crankit posted:

I tried, and will read again but after the OP it starts off like this:

Brethren, it is the pleasure of the Worshipful Master that Something Awful Mason Thread No. 3523447 be now opened and stand open for the dispatch of business!
The lodge is tiled accordingly!
Brother Goons, It's the order of the Worshipful Goon that a thread of master goons be open in this forum and that you conduct yourselves accordingly.
Brother Senior Warden, are all present Master Goons? Inquire through your proper channel until you are duly satisfied.
"I am protected."
Then as Worshipful Master, I order Something Awful Getout Thread #3523447 to be now open.

God forbid we have a little levity.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 15, 2013

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Colton posted:

well, I just got a call from the secretary of the lodge I asked for a petition. apparently a whole group of masons want to meet with me at IHOP saturday. anything I should be prepared for? and what is it with masons and IHOP?

Be prepared for delicious pancakes. I'm going to assume you haven't actually submitted a petition yet. If that's the case they are probably just wanting to get to know you a little bit and hand over the petition. If you have already submitted the petition then they will be asking you some set questions to make sure you're a good fit for Freemasonry.

It's also possible that they have a masonic lunch club that meets and they are having you along so you can meet some of the guys. In any event it's probably just a session where you get to ask questions about masonry and they get to know a little about you. These things are usually informal so don't stress out about it.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Colton posted:

I have not submitted the petition yet. I still have a few questions about it so i guess i'll have them answered this weekend. I don't know why i'm nervous though. Maybe i'm just worried about making a good impression.

If you're worried about making a good first impression then you're probably the kind of guy that has nothing to worry about. If you have any concerns you want answered off the forums feel free to PM me. I'm a United States Freemason so if you're in a different country my advice may not be as good.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

... I cannot say that every brother Mason is a saint to a man. ...

I'm glad you posted that. That's something that I have a hard time getting across to people at times. A past Grand Master once explained it to me in a way that I know he would never say in public. "There are just as many assholes in the Lodge as there are outside." Just like you I would vouch for any brother and come to his relief but that doesn't mean he can't be an rear end in a top hat.

Edit:

7thBatallion posted:

... Most of us are the chillest motherfuckers around.

At the same time this is true as well.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 18, 2013

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Colton posted:

I was pleasantly surprised. Now i'm looking forward to meeting the lodge and eating pancakes before i submit my petition. I told my wife about the pancakes and that sold her on the whole idea.

I did a little bit of research on the other organizations and the shriners really appeal to me but i'm probably getting way ahead of myself.

So in two weeks i'll be petitioning at tuality lodge #6 in hillsboro, oregon. I'm really excited now.

The pancakes always do. :smug:

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

The Grand Master of Florida's ruling was overturned.

http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2013/06/florida-overturns-gms-edict-re-gnostics.html

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Just pretend we aren't Masons here, just by the look of that stuff it was obviously fancy and important to somebody (and often that means worth money) so would any of us throw that kind of stuff away?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Also I may not be a York Rite Mason but I sure as gently caress know what that tapestry alone could be and I sure as gently caress would not let it get thrown away. I'm actually a little upset by this.

Would you mind saying what general area you live in, Brother? (state or province)

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Don't sell me so short. I not only outed myself, but sent messages from the then-locked down masonry thread through other people with accounts basically talking about how we had decided to reveal our organization now that Bitcoin was too weak to defend itself, etc. and then got several other Masons from the thread to pile it on as deep as possible.

It was glorious, the whole incident actually lead to the YOSPOS gang tag as well. Pretty much my proudest moment on SA :mason:

I only heard about it after the fact but it was a glorious tale and ever since WAFFLEHOUND has had my respect and admiration.

:allears:

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Solvent posted:

I completely understand this, and though I do have an urge to complain to the Grand lodge of California AND Florida, I cannot do so without him wanting me to.

If you do complain only complain to your Grand Lodge. Doing otherwise puts your Grand Master in an awkward position.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

If that's the case then just let it go.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Solvent posted:

To the best of my knowledge, most of the seminars in California focus on practical skills, such as hall management, lodge finance, record keeping and the like.
The ones I took were a waste of time in terms of education, but they provide certification.

Would they be useful to someone who is new to lodge management?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

KillianLett posted:

For the love of God, use the correct fork!

There is no correct fork, it's a :mason: trick.

The trick is to not use a fork at all. They'll be impressed that you can eat spaghetti with a spoon.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

redeyes posted:

got invited to be a Mason

That's unusual.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Colton posted:

Two questions: is it a fur suit and do they clean it between uses?

It varies by jurisdiction.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

QPZIL posted:

To clarify, one of our statutes is that we don't ask people to become Masons, they have to seek it out on their own. In fact, on most applications, you have to sign off on it being "of your own free will and accord."

Also I didn't mean to be a cryptic rear end in a top hat by just saying "that unusual". I just found it remarkable, and unlikely but not impossible.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Keetron posted:

Well, my first night as a Tyler did not went well. We raised a Brother and after all was over and we were about to close the lodge, I was get nauseous, felt warm, started sweating and became dizzy. Shortly after, my vision started to get dim. Even though the lights were already dimmed, apparently I was white as a sheet and a brother came over, send me to a seat (all were already standing) and took my place.

So, what did I do wrong? I was never in military service, it seems I should have picked up some tricks there.

The Tiler can't sit down in your jurisdiction?

Edit: I'm the Tiler for my lodge and I sit down like a lazy bastard all of the time.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 25, 2013

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Keetron posted:

Anyway, I locked my knees as I was engrossed by seeing the ritual for the first time since I underwent the same myself.

Nopers, we are a proud lodge where they select a young, healthy guy who has no issue with standing still for 2 hours to be Tyler. Which works most of the time.

I'm surprised they don't make you stand outside if they are that strict about standing. Anyway, was it particularly hot? Standing in one spot in a tux for two hours when it's hot will make almost anyone feel sick. As far as the locking knees thing goes, I don't know the science behind it but I can tell you that I've seen people pass out because of that.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Keetron posted:

About standing outside, I said proud, not strict. :)

The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride loving with you. gently caress pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps. - Albert Pike

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Colton posted:

I'll be coming straight from work, so I won't be wearing any underwear... this is troubling...
Wear underwear. If nothing else wear underwear.

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 3, 2013

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Effingham posted:

During one of the EA... um, walks... my cousin's "special pants" came unfastened and dropped. He was very glad to be wearing new, clean undies. The whole loge now knows whether he's a boxer or brief man. ;)

It wouldn't be the end of the world if a guy went commando. I'm just thinking of the benefit of the candidate more than the brothers.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Colton posted:

in three hours I leave for the lodge that will forever be my mother lodge. I hope the goat is kind.

Lets us know how it was. I'm going to preemptively congratulate you, Brother.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Colton posted:

So, uh... wow... that was a lot to take in. It was exciting though and i feel pretty good right now, like a burden's been lifted.

I have so many questions too but i don't know what to say here. Good thing my lodge meets this saturday.

Oh, and fraternal greetings, brothers

Now that you've been impregnated with the reptilian eggs you will soon begin to hear psychic echos and all your questions will be answered.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

When I was an EA/FC the Tyler encouraged me to eavesdrop.

I once heard a brother put it this way: "This obligation (pointing to wedding band) trumps any other obligation including this (pointing to S&C ring) one." And I've certainly met some Mason's wives who could put lots of brothers to shame in terms of Masonic knowledge and there is no way they don't all the things referenced above.

An anecdote about secrecy and mason's wives. I was giving my proficiency for the staircase lecture to the district inspector. The wife of the lodge secretary walked in. I stopped and the inspector looked at me and said "She knows it better than you do, keep going." So I just kept on it and finished it while she was going in and out of the room. Unrelated: learning that staircase lecture taught me that I can do anything if I set my mind to it.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

lone77wulf posted:

I'm seeking a bit of brotherly advice. If you look back in the thread, you'll see my post about my EA in March. Since then I've attending meetings as I can, missed 2 meetings since then. I've talked with lodge officers and other brothers, and still have had no one to practice my memorization with, and all my offers to help with dinner cleaning have been declined by the two who do that.

So, since I have no one to practice with, I'm not past EA proficiency. Should I keep pressing forward with this lodge, or is it time to look at other lodges? Election is next month, so I'm wondering if a change in officers might be worth the wait, or if this isn't the right fit. Everyone has been great socially, I just seems they're disorganized.

Have you talked to the master of the lodge about this? If not that would be my advice.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Zeno-25 posted:

I suppose that in that case, my conscience would be tugging on me to ask for some elaboration on what is meant by using the word God. I was raised in a mainstream protestant household but then went through an agnostic/atheistic phase of my life which I no longer subscribe to. The idea of god (for lack of a better word) that I've arrived at as a result of that process is a bit different than what the majority of people have in mind when they talk about God, and would seem to be a distinct issue from the monotheism/polytheism question that has been addressed in this thread.

As Bro. Paramemetic stated above what you said here would be enough to satisfy me as well, if say I was to investigate you. Once you answer that question the topic is more or less done. There's a lot of spiritual stuff in Freemasonry but as far as formal religion goes, we generally mind our own business.

Edit side note: I'm going to be Marshal next year :toot:

Lovable Luciferian fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 1, 2013

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

KweezNArt posted:

Getting pumped for Sr. Steward installation, here. Am more terrified at the notion of having to be responsible for feeding the goatlodge than I am for having to memorize anything.

If anything goes wrong, blame the Jr. Steward. poo poo rolls down hill.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Why aren't his brothers keeping this idiot in line? I've never heard of this sort of thing happening before. (Although I'm sure it has)

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Is your boss aware of what his son is doing? If not, telling him would probably stop that poo poo on a dime.

This is the best advice given. It would stop instantly if the boss/dad knew.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

"The secrets?"

" Yes....all the secrets"

" Well....the keys to the booze cabinet are hidden in the stairway closet. The coffee kitty is under the microwave and the spare hall keys are in the flower pot on the kitchen window sill."

"........"

Here in California we can't store alcohol in the temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

PrinceRandom posted:

I know in lodge it is forbidden to discuss religion/politics, but how is it viewed out of lodge? If it's used to increase fellowship or understanding and not as a debate material or whatever is it okay?

You can talk about anything outside of the lodge. We just talk about stuff we would normally otherwise talk about. So if two brothers had an interest in religion it wouldn't be strange for them to talk about it outside of the lodge.