Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hi all, just found the thread so am starting to read through.

I wanted to ask about bags: I travel direct from work to lodge and am sick of commuting with both my big boy regalia briefcase and stinky gym bag. Can anyone recommend something practical that could hygienically store the lot? I'm guessing a large laptop bag that I could double wrap socks etc in would be the closest?

^^ when I joined it was through the provincial network and they worked with me to suggest a good match

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

installation day wooooiii

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Please post any gofundmes or similar and I'll try and get posted on our provincial fbs etc

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

2nd tools tonight, my longest bit so far. Words are all there but still cackin' it. I'm going to point to the wrong one!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

SimonChris posted:

The Danish Order of Freemasons just shut down all masonic activity in the country until further notice, due to coronavirus concerns. Not just lodge meetings but also administrative meetings, picnics, seminars, etc. I believe the other Scandinavian jurisdictions are following suit.

Are similar things happening in other areas, or are you just using hand sanitizer and taking basic precautions?

UK orders sent around advice saying listen to what the Public Health bodies are advising and don't expose your sickly self to large groups of frail old men. Lots of good-natured ironic elbow-bumping and five-points in lodge.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

UGLE's new mail out: dont go if your old and ill, consider cancelling meetings of over 100. I appreciate the practical and realistic intent but 'work out how you're going to deal with your hall's shaky finances if you cancel meetings lol' could have been slightly more reassuringly worded.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I can only wish you the best and hope you manage to sort out everything for the best between you your dad and your lodges. My lodge has stories about others failing after those expected to move up were cast aside, but at the same time there's enough local drama that it feels the lessons haven't sunk in to all those decades of experience in the old boys. That's left me at least wondering if I've done something wrong? Not enough to do my part in keeping this community together? Its not a great feeling especially if you're not sure if its The Rules or just people messing things around.

Just for a positive note, Mark's really been living up to its reputation and keeping morale up the last few months, people really shining through there.

When we finally go back I'll have to relearn 3rd tools and JD which I haven;t touched in about 5 months gently caress!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

PYF reasons you'll never receive grand honours

1) Am not a cop (nothing to do with recent events, just the received wisdom)
2) Blocked by WM for ...inelegant... calling out of severe boomerism
3) Broke THE golden rule and posted extremely politically 'how bout that BLM' on public fb page (which, as well as a couple of potential bites, had some very thoughtful and aspirational responses which I am going to take to heart)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Found out we may, may, get to do our installation this year. V. Happy.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Am I wrong, or was there also an EGL statement that those who transitioned to women, could also stay? No issue with that, but puzzled me as it seems contrary to fully accepting the transition?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That's the one, thank you.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tias posted:

but not so good on the permitting religious discussion in their lodges*

My question following from this would be: tell me about lodges that go in for actual topical discussions and development as part of meetings. Mine and all the lodges I've visited have always followed fairly standard candidate work/guest speaker -> big dinners formats and LOIs to support these. The US podcasts make it seem like there's lots of Big Discussions going on which sound really interesting (and where do they find the time)

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I went to an open day at at Rochester Lodge where they were giving a talk on 'Was Charles Dickens a mason? No he was not' and masonry in general. The older crowd was very engaged and comparing with things their families had been in like the Buffs (which I only knew about previously from the Flintstones). It was interesting to see that when they mentioned having to believe in a higher power, doesn't matter who or what, that they apparently lost the student crowd and several left at that point.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That's really encouraging and I hope that bears out when we go back.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

First installation and meeting ind two years, good to be back. Cheers this table / forums

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Me, staring daggers at the kindly old boy at my side, daring him to prod me when Ive got this down:
sho when we sall be shummoned from thish shubloonery gently caress

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

We're unique to our province to the confusion/delight of guests, so we always have a laugh that 'haha if we muck it up who'll know'. However all our old boys were themselves trained up by fearsome ww1 drill sergeants, and I know they know

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Well done both!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Installation this afternoon, the 1 (one) time per year I wear the black bow tie instead of the straight one. Ritual work for the installation involves the traditional searching of the youtube for the reminder on tying it properly

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Dreaming of this world where there are sufficient keen bods locally to have such distinctions and arguments and schisms.

Closest exposure I've had to anything clandestine is showing a list of local orders from Google to a brother and him going 'yeah that's us, that's us, I'm in that, that's us, wtf... that's probably a bible study group, maybe?'

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

they what? Is that for placement of new bods? Doesn't sound very gdpr

anyone else had an earful about the new online filing system? apparently a tool for befuddling 75yr old secretaries with a mix of web1.0 and brazil

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Bargearse posted:

As of last night, I have now been raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason. It was an unforgettable experience, and very deeply moving.

That said, if I'd known about the goat in advance, I'd have worn something a little more appropriate.

Congrats! I hope you enjoy yourself. If you get lots of invites to visit other lodges and join new orders, I'd recommend focusing on the former for the first year of so at least.

Meanwhile, I got sprung with a major bit that is just going to have to be read out on the night, I don't have the time to learn it. Feels good to make peace with that.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

lol they made it private. What was actually going on there, I'm not sure who was meant to be owning who, like I think they just said 'thank you for your epic point of order, moving on...'

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

just about made it out unscathed from tonight's 2nd as sd, glad to know its all downhill from here!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Which countries out there besides Scotland AFAIK do the MMM and HRA as part of craft?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Iymarra posted:

HRA is a different body in scotland
Source : PZ

Left handed :cheers:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Instead of learnign my ritual or supporting craft I joined a new degree. I finally found the one full of old part time wizards who love to debate the esoterica and it was a breath of fresh air. Gonna join a college.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I came in after noticing the big FO masonic hall, down the road from the slightly older one on my daily walk and wondered what that was all about.

Joke answer about the yoof: our deep fraternal kinship with the cops
Slightly less joking answer: seeing young lads walk out of a public session at the first mention of higher powers

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

True, I wonder if it counts as a bigger barrier these days though.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tbf most recent candidate interviews for all ages have answered like the couple in this clip so it's not that big a hurdle if you're keen.

(apparently it was all evil vicars and demon dcs 15 years back)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRujuE-GIY4

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I'm about to call past high time lol

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Have had imparted the importance of learning the last three years work probably right now. Have found an ai that will rap the charges :bisonyes:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Someone here just rhymed possum with awesome and now I can't stop wondering how many of you guys are out there approaching things with reverential aw

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

We lowered our knocker to accommodate a wheelchair

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Yeah, their were a few comments from outraged americans a few hours back which are gone now, but tons of nice ones.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Well done your bros

someone here must be in the star wars lodge can I visit pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

1x AC delivered. I am Sir Lawrence bloody Olivier