Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat
Serious question here.

Are your executive committee appointments 1 year, or more. And if not, can a member currently holding office run for reelection. I am an alumnus member of a college fraternal organization (Kapppa Sigma) that has obvious roots in the Masonic model. I ask because I'm interested in how much long term control/impact your executive committee has. Is it possible for someone to run a "chapter", or whatever term you use, for multiple and/or indefinite length? I think I know the answer already, but is it possible for a small group of members to hold sway over control of a lodge for a long period of time? In college fraternities the turnover is fairly quick, understandably. How is it for your organization?

I certainly appreciate the ideals of your order, and have been interested in joining the local in Tampa, although some of Florida's more stupid elements seem to have infiltrated most of your interpretations as to the purpose of the order. Does anyone else walk the fence as far as being members of both the Masons, as well as being an alumni of a college Greek organization, and what are your thought on the dual obligations/purposes, if this is real or applicable.

Sorry about all or the slashes, I guess I'm ultimately wondering if being involved in a college organization and being a Mason at the same time are compatible.

legendaryRev fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat

Glorified Scrivener posted:

This isn't an issue I can speak to directly, but several members of my lodge are members of Sigma Chi, alumni and current (I reside in a college town). They don't see a conflict in their dual membership and all of them speak well of their greek experiences.

As for a small clique "controlling" a lodge for an extended period of time; this, like many things masonic, varies from lodge to lodge. The short answer is that yes, it could certainly happen, masonry being after all an organization no less vulnerable to internal politics that any other human enterprise. There are certain aspects of masonic politics on the lodge and grand lodge level that I personally feel are vulnerable to manipulation. Whether or not this is a problem varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Ideally everyone involved takes their obligations seriously and also obeys Wheaton's law, but again, masonry is made up of fallible human beings.

In practice it is typical for the same individuals to be re-elected to multiple terms as treasurer and secretary, as these offices both benefit from an incumbents experience and involve a lot of organizational work that not everyone wishes to volunteer for. Secretaries in particular can accumulate a certain amount of influence over their terms. In lodges with smaller memberships the same individuals do often repeatedly hold the same offices, but if/when membership sees an increase they are usually happy step aside in favor of new blood.

Hope that answers your questions, but note that this is all based on my own personal experiences, others will certainly hold different opinions.

I guess that my question then pertains to the other people in office, what we would call Grand Master of Ceremonies(the person who most of the time deals with pledges, new membership, and ritual in general), the Grand Procurator, who deals with enforcement of the rules, and punishments, which most organizations would refer to as a Vice President, and a Grand Master, who is the main driving force of the chapter, or lodge, much as a president would. While I understand that secretaries and treasurers hold a certain amount of influence through their positions, what about the most high positions? is there much turnover from year to year, or is it primarily driven by a select few?