Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Very cool thread! I got into 'masonry when my ex-girlfriend told me she had been one (here in Denmark, as in a lot of places, there are lodges for women), and I kind of want to join, but I'm not ready for the commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm aware I suppose, I'm just rather ill and have a hard time keeping job, leisure and friends/family on the level. I'd rather not commit to it, and then opt out because I couldn't handle it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Allright, thanks. I'll look into it!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Non-mason here as mentioned, but Metatron is an archangel, right? In rabbinic tradition, he is the scribe of god (as shittily portrayed in Supernatural).

Tias
May 25, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Interesting thing to note - I've had a number of people tell me that SRICF is a crock, and basically just a popularity club for past Grand officers to put on their "Masonic resume". I personally found the same in the Scottish Rite, but I know there's a lot of BS politics in my local bodies, so I don't want to attribute that to the organization as a whole. One guy told me, "you know how you can fix the Scottish Rite? Get rid of the hats." And I 100% agree with him.

It's a shame how little people (at least around here) seem to care about the esoteric aspect of Masonry, and most people including myself have to look outside of the Craft to find it.

But that's a conversation for another time and place :)

Can you explain some of the esoteric potential in masonry to a non-mason? Even some general guidelines of what could be expected would be really interesting.

To be frank, the body of esoteric hermetic and rosicrucianist self-ennoblement stored in masonry is the greatest biggest draw for me to join one day.

Tias
May 25, 2008

That is French nazis favorite loving hangup, even more than jews these days. It goes way back with the catholic church or so I understand.

E: On topic, I actually came to ask about the York Rite. Without giving away what you can't, can you say something about what they do? There are only two orders in my country, one is creepy as gently caress and requires all members to be baptized christians to which I'm noping out, and the other is affiliated with CLIPSAS which sounds good on the accepting women and non-christians part, but not so good on the permitting religious discussion in their lodges*

* Though this may be pretty polite and harmless for all I know.

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 13, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

SimonChris posted:

You are from Denmark, right? Denmark does have regular lodges practicing the English ritual, which does not require people to be christians (DDFL.dk). DDFL is nowadays considered an autonomous sub-body of the Christian DDFO, with the same recognition. DDFL has also recently been permitted to start Royal Arch chapters in Denmark, which would be considered part of the "York Rite" in the US (The US York Rite is basically three different smaller rites stacked on top of each other).

I haven't taken the Royal Arch myself, though, so I can't answer many questions about. All I know is that it supposedly completes the story told in the three degrees of Craft Masonry.

I believe DDFL is the CLIPSAS alternative I mentioned, yes.

Tias
May 25, 2008

SimonChris posted:

No, they are not. DDFL is affiliated with the regular order of freemasons (DDFO) and has no connections with CLIPSAS.

DDFL members are fully recognized by DDFO, as well any international lodge which recognizes DDFO. They require belief in a higher power and do not permit discussion of politics and religion in the lodge.

I believe the CLIPSAS body (http://storlogen-af-danmark.dk/) was founded by former DDFL members who disagreed with the decision to enter into a compact with DDFO.

The English language link I posted earlier also describes things in more detail: https://www.herts-chapter.org.uk/hertfordshires-royal-arch-in-denmark/

Mea culpa :o Thanks for clearing that up. There does seem to be a divide between the stuffy first order that has had Danish royalty as members, and the others. I couldn't possibly fit in with those, so it'll be one of the others if I get around to feeling ready some day.

Also, thanks for all the info on the rites! Super exciting stuff. I love all things ritual and magical (being a heathen priest in my off time), so I would probably get in on as many degrees as I was considered ready for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Keetron posted:

One of the best known members of our lodge (well, inside the lodge anyway) is a staunch atheist by now. He doesn't mind other peoples faith system and others are not bothered by his lack of it. We have at least one shaman, a few jews, christians, agnosts, muslims, at least one hindu and a whole bunch of people who appreciate the metaphor, like me.

Not a mason, but:

This seems to be the relevant journey, at least to masons I have known. The creator or higher power might just be a driving force within you. In AA, which I have spent a lot of time in, folks must choose a higher power as well, and while many turn away, it is repeated well and often that the higher power can be anything, as long as it isn't yourself.

If applicants instead seek reasons to turn away, they will probably find them.