Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Well, my first night as a Tyler did not went well. We raised a Brother and after all was over and we were about to close the lodge, I was get nauseous, felt warm, started sweating and became dizzy. Shortly after, my vision started to get dim. Even though the lights were already dimmed, apparently I was white as a sheet and a brother came over, send me to a seat (all were already standing) and took my place.

So, what did I do wrong? I was never in military service, it seems I should have picked up some tricks there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Aureus posted:

You locked your knees?

Sounds more like you should take a trip to the doctor... unless I'm missing a joke?

7thBatallion posted:

Never lock your knees straight. Keep a slight bend.

Yeah, locked my knees. Is that bad? I was told it was bad, but how the hell does this cause me to fall over in such a way? Blood pools in the legs causing low pressure upstairs?
Moving pumps the blood around?
Anyway, I locked my knees as I was engrossed by seeing the ritual for the first time since I underwent the same myself.

Lovable Luciferian posted:

The Tiler can't sit down in your jurisdiction?

Edit: I'm the Tiler for my lodge and I sit down like a lazy bastard all of the time.
Nopers, we are a proud lodge where they select a young, healthy guy who has no issue with standing still for 2 hours to be Tyler. Which works most of the time.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I'm surprised they don't make you stand outside if they are that strict about standing. Anyway, was it particularly hot? Standing in one spot in a tux for two hours when it's hot will make almost anyone feel sick. As far as the locking knees thing goes, I don't know the science behind it but I can tell you that I've seen people pass out because of that.

I experienced it as hot, but that apparently had to do with the lowered blood pressure.
After hearing all you guys tell me that what happened is to be expected, I checked the internet. There it says some people faint when standing locked after a few minutes already but I can assure that I was standing for about an hour and 30 minutes of which about the last 15 locked.

Lesson learned, I guess. We will all remain EA.

About standing outside, I said proud, not strict. :)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sockington posted:

There were actually two of us tonight as well. I went first to have the opportunity at the fresh goat.

Was kind of nice to get to watch the second guy run through as I picked up on a lot more without having to focus on what I was doing or saying.

Oh, and one last thing... brothers

Welcome, Brother.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Now that you've been impregnated with the reptilian eggs you will soon begin to hear psychic echos and all your questions will be answered.

And of course: Welcome, Brother.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Astrofig posted:

So why can't women be one?

The answers to this question are given on the first and second page of this here thread.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

No no serious posted:

Brothers: I've been a Mason for 10 years, and I'm embarrassed to say I never read a single Masonic book (well, I think I attempted Morals & Dogma once but gave up after a few pages). I don't even know where to start.

What should I read?

I'd ask my lodge brothers, but I'm under a double-tie to my embarrassment since I'm a Sr officer poised to sit in the east next year.

Don't worry, I never read any Masonic book myself. I heard someone say that Dan Brown was spot on though. Oh, From Hell is awesome, does that one count as a Masonic book?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

If you watch carefully, you can see it does not seem right because the lighting is done in a sloppy way.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

1 posted:

Is that from a catalog for masonic ceremonies contraptions or something?

They are on to us!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Durette posted:

I have an idiot coworker who after repeatedly and politely being told "no" keeps asking some of us to join the Masons. Trust me, nobody has ever asked him about being a mason. It's already being addressed through the weak-rear end HR system, but he's the boss's son and the whole place is chock full of satan worshiping bricklayers. :tinfoil:

Any secret code words or finger symbols that mean "stop pestering the hell out of somebody about joining or you get sacrificed to the goat lord"?

Your idiot coworker is a mason asking around to get others to join? Serious bad form right over there.
Your HR system is failing as well the lodge he is part of, harassing fellow workers regarding matter of faith is never good and it does not matter if he is a mason, a mormon, muslim, pagan, christian, Sikh, buddhist, katholic, worshiping Nordic gods or whatever. Would you accept the same if he would be asking you to come to his church next Sunday if you yourself were an atheist?

Anyway, try telling him it is considered very bad form to ask others to join and if that does not shut him up reconsider your employment?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

To all, especially non-masons who want to know what a lodge night looks like. There is an evening for those interested organized on the 21st of January in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
If you want to come, PM me for details.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

You will not be able to please everyone but that goes for everything in life.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

My maternal (not fraternal) brother is considering to become a brother (fraternal, he is already maternal). However, the coming 5 years, he will spend on and off at Fort Hood in Texas for reasons.

Now while we can initiate him over here in the Netherlands, I am unsure if he can visit a lodge in Texas before he is raised as a MM. This track takes about 2 years under our jurisdiction, with his travels likely more. But then again, one of his reasons to join (outside of the common ones) is to meet people outside of the service and with broad interest. I think it would be good for him to visit lodges in Texas, but would that be possible as a EA or F? Can a Texan brother chime in?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Jeek posted:

A really stupid question that has probably been answered before: would a transexual man be considered a "man" according to the Freemason's entry requirement?

It was discussed before, there is no real consensus it seems. In general it can be said that one who identifies as a man can join. But it is up to the lodge, so in one lodge a pre-op man (currently physically a woman) could join pre-op and in another only post-op and in another he cannot join at all because they are old fashioned but then he could shut up about it and nobody would care.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Trans woman Mason here. General council I get is to keep it to myself in Lodge, where I would present as male if I were to attend. I should expect to get kicked out if I were to push it, but no one is very clear on exactly the grounds that would be cited, and it would likely set precedent, at least in this jurisdiction. Surprisingly few people have urged I resign or demit immediately, but most seem to think it would be appropriate to do at some point in the future after some unspecified amount of transitioning has happened.

The main question I had initially to other Masons was if they felt I was immediately irregular in some way by not immediately quitting, given that I had not come out even to myself as transgender when I was entered, passed, and raised, so I had searched my conscience and answered truthfully at all points of the process of joining.

But so far, that hasn't been the attitude I've gotten. More mostly of brothers respecting how difficult a thing it must be to come to terms with and deal with, and I can very much tie my own process of self discovery into using the tools of Masonry to shed more light upon myself and acting with integrity about what I found. γνῶθι σεαυτόν.

This is interesting in itself and you would do us a great favor if you kept us updated. What do you yourself consider the proper moment to resign if at all?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

What an interesting topic and while I am sure that no lodge would make somebody who identifies as a woman a Mason, I am not so sure about what we in our lodge would do if a mason became a woman.
It just seems strange not to be able to call a brother a brother, as I would hate to offend. Ah shucks, Subrosa, now I have to think outside of my securities. I am going to put this question up for discussion with my masonic study group.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Tonight my lodge will have an open evening and we only advertised by telling either people who came to us or inviting some people over we would thing were interested. So I asked three people if they would like to come over and have a look, two are actually coming. Which reminds me that actually a friend of mine was interested years back, before we renovated the building and did not have an open evening for years. Let's give him a call.

Taking it up with my study group could be a few months, but I will keep you guys updated. Either way, it would be only the view of individual Masons, not of the Grand Lodge of the Netherlands.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lord1234 posted:

GL of MA did these(and still does afaik) for many years. It has helped to swell the ranks of Masonry with good men wanting to better themselves. I for one do not think this is an offer of "Come join us" but more like "do you have questions? come ask them."

Yesterday we had an "Evening for those interested" and we had a massive group of 15 people turn up, without any advertising and just by telling people in person that in case they were interested, they could show up.
To me this means there is a high demand, many men would like to better themselves but not everyone knows about the possibility to ask. So I would like to agree with Br Lord1234 that it is an invitation to come over and ask. Would love to see the Dutch GL pull this off, there is no way the lodges could handle the influx.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

@Colton, where I am from it is apparently customary to wait nearly a year before being approached for append bodies. Be it as such, it is hinted at that Royal Arch is awesome and I should be happy to join.
Alas, my fourth child is coming in a few weeks so I will be rather busy the coming year at the least.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

Aw, man. One of our brand new EAs just died. David Del La Pena. Been with us just a month. Didn't know him, but I figure it's my duty to appear at the services, right?

You are a good man, 7th.
Check with your WM if there is contact established with the family and how they feel if there is a group of masons at the funeral. Discuss your duties with your SW, I am not sure visiting a funeral is part of it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sweden. Christians only.

Come live in the Netherlands, same social system, less nature but the Masons don't give a poo poo about your belief system. Also upside: legalized cannabis and the third in broadband penetration.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm not sure I can think of a country that needs igneous geologists less than the Netherlands. I'd still move there in a heartbeat, though.

I have no idea what an igneous geologist does, but I know Shell has it's head office in The Hague, Netherlands and I am pretty sure there is work in Oil&Gas for geologists and other higher education engineers over here. PM if you care to continue this conversation.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

Keetron? What's up? I still owe you. Unless you wanted me to pay it forward. In which case I'll do that when I have the bucks.

As far as I recall, we agreed you'd pay me back when it would be possible without putting you into hardship or putting paying your lodge dues at danger.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

dogstile posted:

Unfortunately, I've never really worshiped any god, so I can't. I'll leave it as one of life's many mysteries. Maybe i'll change my mind in a few years, only time will tell. If it wasn't for that i'd definitely look for a lodge here in the UK and speak to a few people.

There is no huge need to worship a god per se, a belief in a higher power ought to be enough. Of you flat out reject the notice of a higher power or you don't care much about such a religious consideration, Freemasonry will not work for you. I am not sure if I said it before, but I answered the question: "Do you believe in a higher power?" with "I am not sure, but the grand architect of the universe is actually a very workable way of putting it". The reply was: "Yes would have been enough."

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Cut me some slack man that took almost 4 hours and I'm exhausted okay

Jesus I never knew goats could run that fast

Welcome, Brother!

Anatharon posted:

My cousin's a Mason but I never thought to ask him, what exactly do you do most of the time?

I mean "secret rituals" is a legitimate answer and all but is that what you spend most of your meetings doing?

I don't mean great details that'd be against your rules, but just a broad idea.

Where I am from, we have a lecture nearly every lodge meeting and after the break we discuss it in lodge. Outside of this, we talk about family, career, football, drinks and food and about that one guy who broke up with his girlfriend for the fourth time.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 17, 2014

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I would be thrilled as well when my grandson would come up to me and said he'd want to join the fraternity. Good luck on your journey to initiation!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

That seems to be as much a freemason symbol as there are freemason symbols on the dollarbill.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

QPZIL posted:

I would say that 90% of the Masons you meet have no idea what Abraxas/Abrasax or Metatron is.

Abraxas is a 90's DJ in the Netherlands. I feel the adolescent hormones and alcohol, I just can smell the seedy raves...
Metatron must be Megatron's trans brother (you get it, Meta for Metamorphosis).

But seriously, Sithsaber is the more elaborate troll we have seen here in the thread and he sounds like a friend I used to have who was deep into Magik and esoterism. That guy would have a priapic heart attack, cumming all over the place, if he knew I joined the Masons.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I remember telling you guys I am my lodges Tyler and that here it is custom to stand alert at all times.
Why do I tell you this?

Wisdom:
Skip leg day when you have Tyler duty.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Found this in the bad with money thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3555678&pagenumber=111&perpage=40#post431037693

It leads to some fun imaging what we will ask for. Best part is that they will never know.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

LivesInGrey posted:

Is anyone here knowledgable about the lodges in Albuquerque? Reading this thread has made me very interested in at least talking to masons at a time when things are open to the public and to hopefully find one that'll accept a trans guy. New Mexico's a poor state, which makes me hope that dues are relatively low. Those are my two biggest stumbling points now that I know masonry requires curiosity rather than invitation.

What gender is in your passport? That is the one that I think would count for me but I am not sure if this is possible around the world.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sithsaber posted:

You guys should probably amend the males only clause before you let transmales in.

Can you elaborate on that or will we walk this familiar path again?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

:mason: secret lodge meeting in progress photos :mason:

Give that treehouse some sand on the floor and you have the best depicted lodge meeting in modern culture.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

I would not be surprised if that happened, because that is exactly what I'd heard he did at Frank Haas' mother lodge. My understanding is he rolled up with his officers after having been asked to resolve some issues resulting from Frank's expulsion. When they offered him the gavel, he took it, then expelled half the lodge by edict, revoked the charter, then took the charter with him and left.

Wow. Even being on the other side of the globe this hurts my masonic heart just reading it. In a way, he is lucky to having been able to leave with all his limbs, on the other hand it says something about the respect for masonic authority they actually let him do all this without throwing a chair at him or something. I mean, how the hell did he get his hands on the charter to begin with?

About Prince Hall, if they are recognized by the GLoE then they are recognized by us as well. It is pretty straightforward to be honest.

Something else, but I might be visiting Hong Kong sometimes in the not to distant future and I found a British lodge there. The requirements here are puzzling, any of you know more?

quote:

Overseas visitors

Members of Lodges and other Masonic orders overseas, which are recognised as regular by the Grand Lodges of Scotland and Ireland, are very welcome at Zetland Hall and may use all of the facilities. Visitors from recognised foreign Constitutions are very welcome to visit English Lodges and Chapters, however they should in the first instance obtain clearance from their respective Grand Secretary through the Grand Secretary of the United Grand Lodge of England before the visit takes place. Visitors must also be in possession of relevant masonic credentials. On arrival, please introduce yourself to the General Manager and sign the visitors book.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

So when I saw a ton of replies, I figured the gender debate flared up again but it was something else.

Anyway, this Tuesday we are turning the lights back on at our lodge and I am looking forward to my second year as a tyler.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Loomer posted:

It makes me laugh, seeing someone want Masonry to be more progressive when it's because Masonry was once influential as well as progressive that certain aspects of society are the way they are today. Excuse us for being a little bit behind the times we helped create (which incidentally is, in my opinion, a big part of why Masonry is in an identity crisis. The struggle is over, we won, and until fascism starts making a comeback we will continue to be confused. It is befitting that as an organization we are in a large part defined by opposition to other things, as it calls to mind the checkered pavement!)

The following quote comes from the NPR article and illustrates your point.

NPR newsarticle posted:

But historically, he says, the fraternity does well during times of economic instability for men. The U.S. is in that kind of time right now.

And some millennials, Moore says, are looking for the kind of long-lasting commitment available in a lodge.

"They know that those men will be their brothers no matter what their economic structure is," Moore says. "So they know that they can change jobs five, six, seven times in their careers, but they won't be changing the lodge they belong to; they won't be changing the men who are their fraternal brothers."

Did some snipping here.

Loomer posted:

The ladies are an integral part of what social Masonry is here; in fact, we even call them the real foundation of the Lodge because they stand behind every member.
Unless the member is gay or single, which is pretty common.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Background: I am a Dutch MM, living in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The earlier version of this thread triggered me to finally sign up.

Over here, we have two sorts of meetings, we have the formal meetings where everyone is expected to arrive in white tie, these are for initiations and everything that follows, opening and closing of the year and some other meetings. We meet up weekly tho and because the fraternity is meant to make good men better, we practice this by having a member write and hold a lecture about something, anything goes as long as it is in the spirit of out work. This ranges from people telling about their past, their youth or the present events in the world and how this effects us masons. For these meetings we dress casual.

However, lot's of exceptions are in place. We have a few members who were initiated outside of the Netherlands and they wear a variety of tuxes, a member who is somewhat low on cash and has some physical limitations so to have a suit tailor made would be to expensive and he makes the best of it (the colors match the white tie suit), sometimes members forget there is an OL and they just show up in whatever they are wearing but give many apologies and there is this one guy who had a stroke last year and honestly we are just glad he remembers when we gather but he is no longer on this plane of consciousness and dresses accordingly (however he drat well pleases).

The weekly meetings are those where we can share a drink and chat with our brothers and this is valuable. Our lodge has a wide age range and especially in the hectic life of a 30 something I find Lodge nights to be a quiet anchor in the world.

Once a year, mostly in autumn, we have an evening for those interested. I checked, but we did not yet picked a date for this year's. If it comes up I will make a post here and it would be great to welcome some Dutchgoons who are interested in the craft.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 8, 2014

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

As of late I have been treating people who are worth it with a similar amount of trust and friendliness as how I treat my brethren. It confuses some but all find it awesome and some comment on how they have seen me change.

That is my story on how I try to make the world a better place.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

If you visit another lodge you go with as much regalia as you have with you. We had visitors with a small suitcase filled and we had them who just happened to be in town and had to borrow an apron and gloves. No matter how you look, you will still be a Br:. and don't let anyone tell you different.

Some time back, a guy at our lodge had a stroke and his thinking is not really there anymore. We make sure we have an apron and gloves ready for him because he shows up but has no idea what week it is and if he should bring his regalia. I am Tyler for my lodge and recently, before opening but after everybody entered, he got confused and walked out again guided by another Br:. but right when I was asked if we were good to start I heard them coming up the stairs again so I deviated from my lines and asked for a short moment. Because that is what you do. Things resumed normally when they got seated again and all was good.

So don't care to much about what you wear, care about who you bring to visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

In the Netherlands all lodges have their own status but most are set up in such a way that any contributions and gifts can be tax deducted, so my dues are considered charity for tax reasons.