Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
It's cool that I think sucha movement sprung out of this thread, and is up to multiple GM's in multiple states at this point. I look forward to hearing a positive resolution...as a non christian, i'd be a bit concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Bro. Kringle is master of the lodge? Kudos.

North Pole Lodge No. 1

ETA: with no offense meant to members of North Pole Lodge No.16 https://www.facebook.com/NorthPoleFreemasons

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
My lodge is blessed to count among our brethren, the GM of Massachusetts. Last night at dinner I grabbed a seat next to him and brought up the topic of GL o F and their recent statements. As soon as I mentioned Florida, he knew what I was talking about, said he had recieved multiple emails regarding the issue already, and that they were definitely going to be discussion it at the upcoming GM meeting.

Also, I the GM was congratulated on 46 years as a Mason yesterday.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

SafetyTrain posted:

What kind of income disparity is there usually in your run-of-the-mill Lodge?

Are there any highly represented professions?

I'd like too know this because I feel the general view of Masons are that they are high-income folks hanging with other high-income folks. I feel this might not be true, or at least false too a certain degree. My own view, not very researched, view on Masons is that they're people seeking similar people. To me this makes for a possibly homogenous group.

I too will go with it varies. I think we have some pretty high pwoered folks in my lodge, but also a couple of people who work the parks service...

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/notes/cambridge-royal-arch-chapter/stolen-please-help-6-masonic-swords-gone/346936452080778

fb posted:

Between Wednesday night after 8:30pm and Thursday 4pm, six (6) Royal Arch Chapter Swords were STOLEN from the main lodge room at the Cambridge Masonic Temple. These are the ONLY swords Cambridge has and are used in every RA degree since 1870. A police investigation has started as well as other Non-Cambridge police are searching pawn shops throughout New England. I am searching ebay, auctioneers sites, craigslist and other sites to find them. The are EXTREMELY special to Cambridge. I have enclosed photos of a similar sword, since these swords were not in the collection they were not photographed. The are 36-40 inches long. Brass Knight Templar helmet as the pommel. The handle is fluted, and made out of either bone or ivory. The handle wings are brass with a steel blade. The blade has Masonic and Chapter emblems hand etched onto the blade and on one side is the name Cambridge Royal Arch Chapter. The scabbards/sheaths were re-leathered some 30 years ago, 3 in red, one in white, one in blue, one in purple. For the age of the swords and scabbards they are in excellent condition.
I am posting a reward of 50 bucks for their return. If the police find the person or persons involved I WILL PROSECUTE to the fullest of the law. But if returned I will pay the 50 dollars with no questions asked. I understand that 50 dollars is not a lot today, but this is personnel to me and it is all I can afford at this time.
Please share this if you can on your facebook site and pass the word. Please keep an eye out if you can for these relics which mean so much to us at Cambridge and play a most important role in Chapter Masonry.
I thank you for your time and God bless
Keith MacKINNON
curator and historian
Cambridge Masonic Temple
High Priest Cambridge RAC.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Seems BMW is anti-masonic(or at least thinks we're similar to a satanic cult).

http://themasonicblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/mercedes-benz-super-bowl-commercial.html

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

I am interested in joining the craft, and have been encouraged to do so by friends, relatives, and now even a co-worker. Usually after witnessing me doing a good deed/helping someone out of a tight spot. I am to understand that's one of the main ideas behind Masonry, universal brotherhood, etc. I've also read this thread though, and am located in Florida. I am not Christian, Jewish, or part of what I would consider a "major" religion. I do believe in A Supreme, Most High being that created all that we know and can perceive. I also believe in the immortality of a soul and resurrection/rebirth (which I understand are questions they should NOT be asking, but I'd be covered anyway.) However, having read what I've read here, it seems to me that you must be part of a major religion to join, at least in my awesome backwoods state. How true is this? Were I to petition, and then be denied based on this bullshit criteria, would I be blackballed forever? Would there be any way that I could report "unmasonly" behavior should I encounter discrimination for not being a Christian?

I want to become a better person and help to enrich my community through kind acts, and I would hate to be forever "untouchable" because of some stuffed shirt old dick. The most fulfilled I've ever felt in my life was handing out food to the local homeless, and seeing their eyes light up. I'd like to participate in a fraternity that focuses on such acts, and the Freemasons seem to be just that. I do live in a rather metropolitan area (Pinellas) so I'm not going to be visiting an extremely rural lodge, but I do know the good old boy favoritism still runs deep in this area.

Kindly let me know if I would be wasting my time by petitioning, and if I should just wait until I move to another state.

I would definitely visit a few lodges and discuss this if you feel free to. They will basically tell you right away if they have an issue with it. I know the GL of FL has had its issues lately, but I am pretty sure they will be resolved soon(and hope they will!). Also visit lots of lodges as there may be one lodge full of people who have an issue, and another that says "don't worry about it, come on in"

Also from facebook:

Freemasons posted:

A brother of mine said he was a bit shocked when a visiting brother from a far away lodge showed up with a mohawk and two hoop earrings.
On the one hand, brothers are brothers, no matter appearance.
Others say there is certain respect and decorum needed.
Where do you fall?

More importantly, what about applicants and candidates? At what line of appearance, dress or manner might you draw the line?

I think even asking this type of question belies a minor prejudice. This is a question that doesn't even need answering. The way a person looks, whether it be by choice or by handicap, means NOTHING. This also brings to my mind that we must temper our passions which really boil down in many ways to prejudices about someone over something relatively miniscule. The color of their skin(in some places still very prevalent), sexual orientation, looks, all fall into this.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

I wouldn't even do that. The question of "Do you believe in a Supreme Being?" is a personal one, meant to be answered by your own conscience. There's no need to ever tell anyone what your particular beliefs are.

Good point.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Brethren, we've done it!!!!

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
There is only one store in boston that carries this stuff, and it was his last bottle:

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

QPZIL posted:

On May 15th, the Great Priory of England is going to vote to withdraw recognition ofg the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the United States. Ouch.

edit-- Also, just gonna throw this in there: the Grand Secretary of the Great Priory of Scotland's name is Pringle Johnstone.

Why are they doing this?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Carbolic posted:

Well my point of view is evident from my questions, but there is no point in trying to troll an ask/tell thread.

Race and sex may be different kind of differences, but I am curious how/why the differences created by sex are considered so fundamental to what it means to be a Mason (apart from the bare definition of a Mason as having to be a man). I've seen allusions to rituals which presumably have some sort of physical component to them, but I guess I am not understanding why, if Masonry is about making men better, it can't also be about improving women and instilling virtues in them too. If being a Mason is so great, wouldn't you want to share it? It just seems like the more Masonry is awesome, the worse the reasons are to keep it a boys' club only.

Do you think that it is possible that a hundred years from now, this same logic will be used to explain why the "no women" rule wasn't really a rule, it was just something everyone did until they knew better? Sort of like how (and I wish I had a less provocative example) 150 years ago it was commonplace in mainstream Christianity in the U.S. to use the Bible to justify slavery, but now, it's accepted by everyone that the Bible (which hasn't changed) didn't really mean that.

Would you acknowledge that there is a certain element of "separate but equal" in your argument? i.e. there's nothing wrong with women, I just don't want them in my club / drinking from my water fountain? (Again, I am not calling you a bigot, I am just trying to show that the logic here is familiar.) I get that you don't think gaining membership in a particular private club is an earthshattering achievement for women, but (1) would you not agree that advancing women's equality in one area of society can have collateral benefits in other areas of society? (2) does the argument that there are bigger priorities out there really justify arguing that smaller problems (if you think they are problems, and I realize you don't) shouldn't be fixed? If I could pick voting vs. using the same water fountain as someone else, I'd pick voting, but do I have to pick only one?

Thanks for answering my questions. As you can tell, I fundamentally do not share your worldview, but it is interesting to explore it.

Do you believe that all women's organizations should allow men? For example, the Girl Scouts or how about women's only gyms?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Actually the pants were too small for me and I spent my entire EA trying to not let my pants drop around my ankles. They only did once.

So once again, prospective members, wear clean underwear is the best and only piece of advice you need to be prepared.

One of the member's wives sew me custom pants for FC and MM.

Ours are all made to fit both the initiate and the...well you know. I had to tie them around each other to form a sort of belt at some stages...

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Allowing old married guys to spend one night a week/fortnight/month away from their wives.

I'm a young married guy, and know many young unmarried and old unmarried guys who are Masons. I firmly dispute that part of your statement, and resent it.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Flying Fortress posted:

As a happily married young Mason I still agree with Wafflehound. You can love and respect women AND enjoy being away from them for a couple of hours.

Man, is everything so black and white for some of you folks? Life must be pretty frustrating for you.

sorry i resented the "old married" part....i'm only one of those things...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

So, I'm guessing that we're due for the "what happens if a freemason joins then has a sex change" part of the thread.

Not to bring this around, but can you point me to a post that defines what the solution here is?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

7thBatallion posted:

I had dinner like, five times before I turned in my petition. Ask questions, be chill, and enjoy some awesome pancakes.

I had dinner like ....a year and a half worth before I was told that there was space in the waiting list for me to submit a petition....

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted, but the Lodge in Quincy MA burned to the ground earlier this week. Completely unrecoverable. From what I understand it is now a set of walls, with basically nothing holding them up. 200+ years of masonic history, up in smoke. Multiple lodges met in the building and they are now in search of new homes.

Sadly, this building was actually up for sale by GL because of lowered membership/etc. And from what I understand in some disrepair.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...0OnO/story.html
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/quincy/2013/10/front_of_quincy_masonic_lodge_spared_as_remainder_of_buildin.html

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Can anyone recommend an Austin lodge?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Interesting....the Widow's Son's have just been expelled from MA freemasonry. Edict just came in from GM that no MA mason may be a WS. Just got the email.

I wonder what happened.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Forbidden. In Texas football often falls under the category of "religion" and is also banned.

what? seriously you can't talk football at Lodge in TX?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

QPZIL posted:

Are they any Bostonian brothers in here? I'm going to be staying in Plymouth, MA, tonight and tomorrow night for business and would love to see any local Masonic landmarks or just grab a beer :)

Edit: that is, Monday and Tuesday night

Sorry to chime in late. I am from Boston, and a member at Columbian Lodge which is out of the Grand Lodge in downtown Boston. I don't know anyone near plymouth, but Columbian lodge, and the grand lodge building are absolutely amazing. Also check out the Scottish Rite Library out in Acton(I think it's there?)...

Sadly, while I would love to grab a beer with you, I have unfortunately moved to Texas, and am still trying to find my own masonic roots here.

I do miss my brethren of Columbian and think of them fondly quite often

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

imac1984 posted:

Are you a MD mason? If so, isn't our grand lodge the best? Not only do they have those TV commercials running every 2 seconds, but they have radio ads too. IMHO, we cross the boundary of what is acceptable with the "2b1ask1" thing. I'm not sure if other jurisdictions do this too, but we also have required open houses every year too. I wouldn't have a problem with that except we advertise for it in a similar way with tv/radio ads and stuff that again goes far beyond what I think is acceptable. In the end though, what can you do? If that's what the GM wants, that's what the GM gets.

Paramemetic posted:

Yeah, I'm in Maryland. Actually I'll be passing through your neck of the woods in a few hours heading into the District, if I recall correctly.

I don't like the ads, and would be happy to bring them up in Lodge, but sadly I've not been able to attend at all regularly this year. Hopefully I'll get that straightened by February. Anyways, the only recourse I see is petitions upward from the lodge level, carried by our officers to the annual communications. Unfortunately, I think it's merely a reflection of the times. With all worldly success being a measure of profit, the only way for a grandmaster to make his mark is to expand.

What's worse is that while I found the ads cheesy and in violation of our most ancient landmarks, they are not poorly or cheaply made. The problem is only that such mercenary recruitment is a black eye upon our order. I have PGM Pepiora's contact information. I suppose the least I can do is voice my discontent.

GL of MA did these(and still does afaik) for many years. It has helped to swell the ranks of Masonry with good men wanting to better themselves. I for one do not think this is an offer of "Come join us" but more like "do you have questions? come ask them."

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Any brothers currently members of a lodge in Austin TX? Looking to get some info...

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I was for years. Short answer is you want Hill City #456, Austin #12 is older and more prestigious but I've had my issues with some of the regulars there and if you're younger/more enlightened you might burn out on them, they're very much the unfunny old boy's club of the city. Both are on the corner of 18th and Lavaca at the Scottish Rite building and as far as I remember 456 does either weekly or biweekly meetings which are less formal and have dinner beforehand (which means they're easier to visit, just e-mail them before hand or call an hour or so before one of their meetings).

I'll tell you that Austin is super focused around Scottish Rite and to a lesser extent the Shrine and York Rite. I'd normally advise new Masons to stay out of appendant bodies until later in their Masonic career but in Austin you'd probably want to jump into one anyways because of how much of the Masonic life in Austin revolves around them.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Have some non-forum contact method so we can chat more instantaneous like?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
I've been a MM for about 3 years. I moved to Texas last year, and got invited to a lodge meeting by a neighbor who is getting his FC tonight. He said he already checked in with his WM and they are excited to meet me. I checking in with my Mother lodge secretary and he said that since I was up on my dues, it was no problem.

I've never visited another lodge outside of a GL visitation where I already knew multiple people, so have never been "tested" before. Is it strange to be nervous?

Also, given recent "apron" disussion. In the GL of MA we always had a pile of aprons laying around. Noone wore their lambskin. Should I be bringing my lambskin if in the TX jurisdiction?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Emron posted:

We're not the drat cia, you'll be fine. Don't stress about it.

Why are you lying to the man?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

popejackson posted:

This thread is awful long and I didn't read through all of it. Can someone give me a quick answer on how I can begin the process to join? Do I just show up to a meeting and introduce myself?

If you are not patient enough to read the thread(which is long, but interesting!), you might need to consider that some lodges will make you wait quite a while to become a member. Are you patient enough?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
I want to say what a great experience masonry has been for me with my mother lodge...I complained a bit back about how I was treated by a Lodge in TX...but my mother lodge, they are gems taht I doubt I can find a lodge like anywhere on earth. My father recently was diagnosed with a very serious illness. The outpouring of support from my brethren has been AMAZING. I know that they will have my back if I reach out for help. It's such a good feeling to know that even though I live 2k miles away now, they will take care of me.

That's what real masonry is about. Caring about others.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
This is not true for all lodges and may be a function of the general population in the area that you live. Are most people around you conservative? Do you live in a red state? While masonry is charitable and accepting of all men of good character those men may have views that disagree with you. If you disagree with them feel free to engage them in polite discourse to try and change their opinions, but as with all things political, don't expect either party(you or then) to change their minds.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Today I got a congratulatory letter from the MA GL, congratulating me on 5 years as a master mason. I appreciate it but the anniversary isn't till October. Brethren, always a pleasure to post in this thread among brothers.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

I'm keeping the brother's name and his lodge name out of the screenshot, but ... this is some incredible cognitive dissonance, right? It's not just me?

It's not just you, but many folks see no problem with this kind of raffle. If it offends your sensibilities don't participate.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Ataxerxes posted:

What are the reasons lodges become irregular? I was told that if I visited lodges in foreign countries I should make sure they are not irregular, but how do they become so? Can they reconcile somehow?

A good example is lodges that start raising women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Do any of your lodges use an app for communication? We've recently started using Slack internally at the lodge (replacing FB messenger which was messy), however I've seen a few of the Mason specific apps out there, and am curious if anyone has any feedback/reviews of any of them?