Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...
Brethren, Australian Mason checking in.

I've loved reading this thread, and I'm quite happy to answer any questions about the way we do things in the United Grand Lodge of Victoria (UGLV).

One of the things I've seen which piqued my interest in the Nth American lodges is the adornment of hats on senior lodge members.

We don't follow suit in our neck of the woods.

For any interested, there is to be a television program starting on channel 31 (Melbourne) from the 3rd of March about the craft. It will run for 6 months and should be available to see for others around the world. (I know this as I'll be in it, you see) ... When I know the name of it, I'll repost as it's yet unnamed.

Heading to Vegas during April, so if anyone knows of a lodge to visit I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Gents, any good masonic podcasts you can think of?

I regularly listen to 'The Life Masonic', 'Whence Came You?', and the Australian 'Freemasons Queensland podcast', but I no longer listen to 'Masonic Central' as it is too grainy and chalky.

Thoughts?

Also any tips for a travelling brother to the USA (the end of this month)? I have a letter all sorted, but I'm told I'll need to have a dues card (which we don;t have in Aust)....

Would the usual vetting process to visitors apply??

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Thanks Gents,

Well I got an back from the Grand Lodge of Las Vegas today, and whilst it discusses a dues card, I suspect that commonsense will prevail.

Sadly I don't know whether a lodge will be meeting during my (short) visit.

On another note, have we done any formal intro's so if we have any 'country specific' questions we might be able to field them on a local level, and also get input on the differences from different parts of the globe? For example, I know that many US lodges meet weekly compared to a monthly meeting in Australia

For what it's worth, I joined my first lodge in Melbourne in 1998. After a few years away from the craft I've since come back into the fold and will be invested as an Inner Guard in July. We have the three standard degrees in the craft lodge, but recognise the Mark Master Masons degree as a fourth degree, and the Holy Royal arch degree (Chapter) as equally significant to Freemasons in Victoria.

We do have the 18, 33, Knights Templar, and Royal ark Mariners as well as many other appendant bodies, but the previously mentioned three are the most popular, Around 15 - 20% of those who attend craft also attend the Mark Lodges, however I can't be sure of the chapter nor Ark Mariners.

My fees are $212 for craft lodge (once a month meeting - $80 goes to grand lodge), and will be about $160 for MMM (which I will be joining in May).

Any questions for a down-under brother???

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

QPZIL posted:

I did a thing, heh

Awesome. I'm thinking about getting a third degree tracing board, but don't know for sure... For I am a wimp, you see.

Any other masonic tatts??

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Pope on fire posted:

Question is, do you think many Freemasons are actually non religious and just pretend otherwise to stay in the order?

I'm sure that over the years the belief system of any brother is either challenged or changes somewhat.

I don't know of masons who pretend, but then again nobody probably would unless the brother made it public knowledge (remember no discussion of religion)

I'm sure that for some members in these circumstances, the comeradrie and friendships forged over many years would be too important to give up. I creates quite a quandry. Tell the truth and leave the group, or remain quiet and stay as involved as everyone else.

I don't know about the others in here, but it would be a hard decision for me have to choose what to do.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Just for any Australian masons on here, Channel 31 - Melbourne is now halfway through it's first season of "Freemasons - The Inside Story". For those who aren't aware of it, Ch 31 is a sort of upmarket PBS. FTIS is a production exploring masonry from a the standpoint of the UGLV (Victoria). It airs on a monday night, but for those not from Melbourne, you could try the following link: http://www.c31.org.au/program/view/program/freemasons-victoria-the-inside-story. I have been interviewed for the program and one of my good mates, Ben, is one of the presenters.

If you have a chance (and the link works) you should check it out. If you have issues, feel free to PM me and I might be able to arrange to post the episodes on a USB or something...

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

Thanks Brother,

Channel 31 is pretty cool, and I don't know if they show the Melbourne show direct in Sydney, but I can get to the website okay.

If you get stuck, let me know.

Ultimately it has been a huge success and it will make its way to DVD.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Innerguard posted:

On seeing the title, I made the internal assumption that it would be in the usual vein of 'inside story' programs - I am pleased to say that I was quite wrong. I'm also glad that I can watch it online, sometimes we get problems in that kind of thing in the UK. The archive section is a personal interest - I do love learning about the rich tapestry of history that lodges develop.

There are only two episodes listed presently for that series - is that correct or are there more that have aired which are due to be uploaded / released?

Brother Innerguard..... I have nine episodes and I suspect that they only keep two at a time on the website. As I mentioned, I'm happy to help you find the episodes you've missed but it will eventually make it;s way to DVD.

I'm not sure which one(s) you've seen, but each usually focuses on an interview with a high ranking member of the United Grand Lodge of Victoria - UGLV - (usually by either the Grand Master or Deputy Grand Master), an interview with an ordinary member (usually a tad goony), an exploration of some of the signs and symbols of freemasonry, a visit to an historically or geographically interesting lodge, a look at charitable activities by members, goatkeeping best practice techniques, and masonic items of interest from the grand lodge library.

The GM and DGM usually are onboard to answer the very type of questions raised on this forum and they usually do a really good job, save for the trotting out the occasional "It's not a secret society, it's a society with secrets..." garbage. That said, they make things pretty clear that whilst anyone could go and google every aspect to every degree
it really would detract from the experience of actually being a part of it. This was something I always thought was a throwaway line, but found it was true once I started out.

It does it's best to present a modern face to the obviously shrinking numbers in my state (150K members post WW2 - down to just over 30K statewide nowadays), without making things too camp, post-modern, nor contrived. Obviously theres only so much you can do to try and pique the interest of young blokes when the average age is 70+, but I take my hat off to them for such a bold attempt.

It cleverly avoids the terms: temple (masonic centre), ritual (ceremony / play / lessons), and brethren (lodge members), but still pays reverence to our traditions.

Anyway, hope this gives a bit of an insight.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

mrbill posted:

I love getting to "fill in", although I've only done it for degree ceremonies and not Stated Meetings. Especially love being the Secretary; my large physical stature makes part of the EA lots of fun, and I improvised and did something once that had everyone in stitches and has become a tradition.

Ok....I'm a fish.....I've taken the bait....

"Say, Mr Bill, what did you do filling in as an EA that was so drat funny!?!" (Nice tat btw, bro)

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Any other Melbourne goonmasons in here by chance?

I'm going in as Inner Guard on the second Monday in July.

It appears the Grand Master will be officiating the nights activity which is pretty drat cool.

Do it!

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

Take the implement of your office with you to dinner, and see if anyone comments on it.

Sorry brother, Sydney Mason here, and I miss your install by a week, as I'm heading to Melbourne for the Pax Melbourne nerd fest.

Are there any lodges tyling in Melbourne on the 18-21 July weekend?

Yeah there are a few on the thursday night, only a couple on friday, and none on the weekend when you're here.

I guess it all depends on where you're staying in Melb. I'm more than happy to accompany you and help out with a lift if need be. PM me. We'll figure something out.

Yeah, might take the 'items' to dinner and employ them if anyone comes too close....

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Can anyone recommend any good masonic podcasts? There seems to be only a handful of decent ones to listen to on iTunes.

What about online publications? Post a link why don't you?

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Innerguard posted:

Don't know of any podcasts, but would love some

As for publications, I get 'The Square' magazine through the post, but I believe there is a digital option. Same with the 'Working Tools' magazine. I have found 'The Square' to be UGLE-related, and the WT to be a bit more general, but your mileage may vary.

I subscribe to:
'Whence Came You' (US) - hosted by Bro Robert Johnson who is connected with 'The Midnight Freemasons',
X-Oriente (US) - hosted by Eric Diamond but the series has been wound up, and
UGLQ - Queensland Freemasons (Australia) - feat. Bro. Luke Elin and VWBro. Graham Schulz.

My grand lodge puts up ours at https://www.freemasonsvic.net.au

Midnight freemasons is pretty good, and the California Freemason magazine is a ripper

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

I work at a juvenile residential treatment center. The other day, I was having a heart to heart over some treatment goal stuff with a 14 year old male resident, who saw my masonic ring. He asked me what the ring was, I told him my basic throwaway answer for when it's not a topic that should be explored at the time, "it's for my fraternity." He responded "let me guess, you're a bunch of math nerds?"

Cracked me right up.

Well....You DO kind of have a thing for geometry....

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Innerguard posted:

On the recommendation of jrgnsn_tjf in the post above, I've started to listen to the 'Whence Came You?' podcast. I highly recommend it to other brethren. So far, it seems quite simply and refreshing. 90-something episodes to go!

I forgot to add: 'The Life Masonic' to that list.

It's good too, but a lot of it is lost on me owing to the fact it is Scottish Rite :australia:

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Innerguard posted:

It would be nice to see some people on these podcasts (looking at 'The Midnight Freemasons' in particular) who were more 'average' brethren - folks who concentrated on the 'blues' more. I wonder what these podcasts opinions would be on doing sections with masons from other countries to discuss the differences (and similarities) of their particular constitution.

Then I direct you to the UGLQ Freemason Podcast. As mentioned it's hosted by a computer programmer and the deputy GL secretary. It appeals to me because it talks about things like toasts, literature, and internet sites of interest, as well as interviews with 'everyday' masons and the roles of lodge officers to name a few. It doesn't pretend to be scholarly nor elitist which makes it very easy to listen to. Plus Queenslanders are chilled out cats at the best of times so it always sounds like just a couple of brothers chatting casually.\

Also, what are the three dots? I've never seen them down here... Is it just 'one of those things?'

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

I just enrolled in the 'Certificate of Masonic Studies' program offered by my state lodge through our Lodge of Research 218.
http://218.australianfreemason.com/?page_id=9

It is designed for master masons who are interested in the origins of freemasonry, its development and worldwide spread over centuries, and it's recent evolution into the current grand lodges we find today. Additionally it incorporates its philosophies, symbolism, and teachings.

GL is angling it's promotion towards those desirous of going through the various leadership roles within the lodge.

So far the readings have been quite interesting I think I'm going to get a lot out of it.

This course is separate to our lodges of instruction, as none of it focuses on the usual lodge room ritual.

Tell me what types of courses you have on offer or have completed. Do you find that supplementing education courses has helped you in your development in your lodge? Is there any you'd recommend?

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Loomer posted:

Sorry. Not actually initiated yet myself, so no idea what's kosher and not.

You'd probably do well in not misrepresenting yourself as a freemason then...

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Colton posted:

I got a call yesterday saying the local lodge wants to do the family interview. Wish me luck!

Just on this, in general how are families factored in with respect to prospective candidates from where you're from?

When I joined I was single, but I know that if you are thinking about going through lodge officer positions then your home life and family are big factors in deciding if you should.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Gents, please excuse any ignorance on my part but I need a little advice.
One of my relatives is going to be staying with other relatives in Florida then Alabama. Not being a US resident, I just wanted some local input into the general view to freemasons in that part of the states.
I assume that disdain for masonry can be found anywhere but I wonder if there are any issues in the southern states.
I think I read in this forum that there were some major issues in relation to the GM of the Grand Lodge of Florida. I don't know whether it attracted media attention in turn igniting negative public perceptions.
Nothwithstanding they will be having contact with the pastor of a revelations type ministry and I just don't know which way that will go...
Any opinion would be appreciated, and I mean no offence. It's because of :boonie:

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

It's as I would have thought. I visited a lodge in Vegas earlier this year and wasn't worried at all about leaving my gear around the hotel room... I guess in Australia - and the other aussie lads can attest to this - it's simply not at all interesting to anyone who isn't in a lodge. That's just the way it is. People my age don't really have a clue about it all, which is a shame. Regrettably I can't see it changing here anytime soon. Thanks for the reply Parametic. Sage advice as always.

e:parametic quote removed..

Sir Joseph Banksy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 22, 2013

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Myself and three others are doing the Holy Royal Arch Degree on 25th of Feb. In my jurisdiction(Victoria, Australia) it's considered the 'fifth degree' and aside from the 'Mark Degree', it's considered the final degree to 'tie everything together' (I've been told).

QPZIL, I know you have done some extensive writing about the Arch, but I have decided to hold off reading it unti after i've gone through the veils....

If anyone is in Melb, PM me and I'd love to have you along!!

Any tips for the night, gents? Aside from the usual re: not falling off the goat...

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Polymemetic, I'm interested to know what your Volume is, please.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

General question then for any Buddhists who can help me, what do you consider your sacred text? I've seen differing views amongst some, but does anybody have any direction for me?

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Practical question: how do you memorise ritual?
Mnemonics? Small slabs at a time? Record and listen back? Automotive negative reinforcement?
I'm looking for some ways to help myself and other younger members...

Also, all of those buildings are magnificent. So opulent. We are soon to move from our lodge hall to a you-beaut new 'masonic centre'. I'll be sad to leave, as it is truly unique as it's single storey and looks just like a big house with gables and 25 foot ceilings built from scratch by the brothers in 1918.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

I appreciate the responses re: memorisation.
I think I might have identified a major difference in the way we do our ritual.
In my neck of the woods EVERYTHING is typed out and in a small hardcover book. The only times that the words are omitted is in the case of certain words and small phrases and descriptions. Even so, the first letter of said missing words are revealed (ie jrgnsn_tjf balanced carefully on his toes = j... b... c... on his t....).

I have only seen a cipher used in the mark degree....

Or am I on the wrong track here??!!

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Joined the HRA Chapter last night (UGLV). Quite an amazing ceremony. Everything QPZIL said it would be.
Going in as JD at our installment next month, and my first job is a 1st degree in August....Any tips??? (Aside from ask someone else to step in for the night...)

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Loomer posted:

Read the ritual and speak it out loud while you do. Have another brother assist you by prompting, same as when you learned your answers. Attempt to remember it, line by line, correcting yourself. When you've learned one line, continue. It will take time, so start now, not next month. While I've never done the ritual from the other side and won't for some time, the basic principles of memorization remain essentially the same: repetition, repetition, more repetition. You should already have the text of the ritual; if you don't, ask for it. I know here in Australia everyone is given a copy when they reach a degree of the degree work in case they can't remember a part of the ritual, and while certain words are abbreviated or hidden, a regularly initiated mason will know those words.

Some sound advice there. If you're a Melbourne mason you should come along some time! I guess the JD job isn't the headiest, but my floor work is poor and I'd hate for the new guy to have a disappointing night...

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Congrats Loomer! I'd suggest you head out as soon as you can go and see another third. I had the good fortune to see one in Nevada on my travels. That took it to a whole new level!

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

The latest add-on to 'The Simpsons - Tapped Out' app is pretty fly. Every hour or so my phone lets off a: "We do! We do!"...

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Sithsaber posted:

Ite missa est.

Why are you seemingly unable to write without grandiloquent loquaciousness?

Hmmmm, quite...

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Anyone know any really well put together podcasts regarding freemasonry?

I listen regularly to 'The Winding Stairs', 'Whence Came You?', and 'The Masonic Roundtable'.

Our friends from Queensland, Australia used to do one of their own, but sadly it has ceased.

I'm keen to add a few more to my list

Any thoughts?

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Best of luck!

We're having elections tonight, and things are looking like I'll be Junior Warden next year, which puts me as master two years from now. Yikes!

Me too. We'll share tips. You're an Aussie, right?

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Well, I had my initiation last night. Everything went very well, and after we closed and congratulations were issued, we had a nice drink at the bar that operates right next to our building.

I'm very glad I decided to pursue this course in my life. The members of this lodge are very warm and friendly, and even though I'm by far the youngest member at 23, I feel welcomed and respected by everyone.

Great to hear mate. What part of the world are you from. Were scattered all over the earths broad surface itt ...

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

USA, specifically Eastern Shore of Maryland.

Maryland sounds like a gorgeous place. One of my favourite podcasts features a comedian named Ryan Sickler and he's always talking about its highs and lows in some parts - normally the highs though.
I'm in Melbourne, Australia. Whilst - having visited at USA lodges - I am aware of how very different things are, the tenets are the same. There are many experienced brethren here from the us who - after due examination - I'm sure would love to help you on your journey.

Enjoy masonry. (Did you find the whole goat portion of your initiation bizarre? Loomer and I used kangaroos...)

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Without saying too much, I was appropriately surprised by the goat.

Many from Maryland would argue that I come from one of the low parts of Maryland, and I would find it hard to argue. That said, there is beauty to be found here, and it's my home, so I'm inclined to point out the good of the area.

What podcast would you be referring to? I'm always looking for more to listen to at the gym or on my commutes.

'The Crabfeast'. Hilarious.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

I have a serious question. I'm in craft, Royal arch, and Mark masonry (Australia). Im still relatively young, and find belonging to all three both financially impeding and with a young family - time prohibitive. I think I know the way I will approach my resignation from the latter two (I'm JW in craft), but has anyone else been in this position, and how did you approach it? I'm certain my brethren won't be disappointed, but I've bought people in, and don't want to let them down. Cheers lads

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

I figured I would get sound wisdom and support from you guys. I'll have a chat with my proposer (to both) and let him know. It won't be forever, just for a few years.

Btw those furnishings really are very beautiful. He's a fine craftsman!!

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

As a non-Mason who reads this thread mostly for the jokes about the goat, I agree. Any organization that would think ill of you for taking time off for family's sake (this extends to employers and the bowling team) is not a club you'd want to associate with anyway. You're doing the right thing, your brothers will understand if they're half-decent human beings (which I'm pretty sure is a prerequisite to joining, isn't it?).

Thanks friend. Appreciate the sentiment. I'll be doing so tomorrow night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

GLNF was restored after they got rid of that lunatic Stefani.

Gwen?