Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Sorry for the disjointed post, for some strange reason the browser wont let me quote here in the office.

As for midwest lodges being more on the conservative side. I would have agreed completely up until a GM class i attended a few weeks ago. We were an hour before start time having some coffee in the basement of the Elmhurst lodge around 100 dudes in suits or other business attire. All of a sudden 30 brothers from The Men in Brotherhood lodge (https://www.miblodge.com) roll in the parking lot on their Harleys and full biker leathers. Traditional Kuttes with Masonic and Shrine symbols in place of MC patches. Their current seats and positions stitched under their nicknames.

Was taken back at first but man they were some chill laid back guys. They are dark for December but they are first on my list of lodges to visit now that I have been raised and can visit at will.

The other topic I wanted to touch on was speed of going through the Blue degrees.

I know after I was an EA, the first 5 or 6 meetings I attempted to attend I couldn't because they had to open in the 3rd. I quickly lost interest and fell off the map for a year or so with them.

Now I am very glad they reached back out to me and got me re-engaged. Although we don't do spaghetti dinners. Italian beef is our staple it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

An Old Boot posted:

Hey, so I'm one of the jerks that showed up in the last thread flailing about the whole situation with women joining up and--

Well, me and the Spouse read the spoilers, basically.

I won't go into any details for obvious reasons. I'll just say that, even as someone who doesn't flip out easily, I can completely, totally understand now why incorporating women is implausible, and how the authentic experience would be completely turned on its ear if it was altered.

My apologies for making flailing motions. :v:

fake edit: really not being sarcastic, here, I actually do get it.

Thanks... I think?

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

7thBatallion posted:

I'm in no rush to prove up to Fellowcraft, my coach wants me to hurry the process up, but I'm all about taking my time. Is that a bad thing? If I take a year or so to make it to Master, will it be some mark against me?

Take your time and do what you need to do at your speed. Only you can decide what speed is right for you. Everyone has a suggestion or a "right" way, but what is right for them may not be right foot you.

I know guys who took years others who did it significantly faster all are brothers

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

There's some grey area here based on whether or not you've been caught and formally charged and how much you tell people if not. The simple fact is if you were charged with something that may be enough in some jurisdictions to keep you out (for a few more years at least, if we're talking something that happened 20 years ago I think you could make a compelling case to the older members). If this is something behind you and you were never caught, I'm not sure if you should feel obligated to tell anyone (others may disagree). The point of Masonry is to make good men better, not to keep perfect men perfect.

Personally speaking, if this was something far behind you (even if you were charged with something) I wouldn't care. If this is something that ended six months ago then I'd probably care even if it was behind you now, simply because it'd be a bit too close to have fully escaped all the impacts of, if that makes sense. :)

I agree with Wafflehound, for the most part the GL of IL agrees as well. Unless you are convicted of a felony, conviction is the distinction on paper for them.

Unrelated note, do other jurisdictions have the Type X schools or is that an IL thing? I attended a Type 4 class last Saturday and going to a Type 2 in a few weeks. It was really cool to spend 2 hours with the Grand Lodges board of examiners going over floor work and getting in to the minutia of it all.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

Are any of you a member of the Turtle Club?

You bet your sweet rear end I am.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Any brothers up for a long drawn out email chain while I vent and try and salvage a blue lodge issue? PMs work as well just don't want to suck anyone in with out full disclosure.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Last night I returned to lodge.

About 16 months ago I attempted to demit from the Fraternity I was talked out of it by a good friend and PM of the lodge. He told me to just take a break away let the dust settle on the big kerfluffle that had the lodge all up in arms at the time. I was so fed up at seeing how trivial issues could have brothers acting this way and came to the determination that this was not the tradition I was initiated into.

Over the past 16 months, there have been many missed calls a few emails and IM's over facebook. But I woke up yesterday and realized it was stated meeting night. For some reason I said gently caress it i am going to go. We open at 730 but always have dinner at 6 after my last appointment for work I ended up the area around 530 parked about 2 blocks away and honestly I have no idea why but I was full of anxiety. It was not 100% negative, but it reminded me when I was waiting for my first meeting to become and EA.

After about 45 minutes later I drove back to the lodge and headed up the stairs. A few new faces and a couple familiar were there when i walked in. I am not sure what i was expecting but 3 or 4 guys out right hugged me upon seeing me back.

Dinner was chili (regretful decision to have 2 bowls) and it was immediately like old times, the good times. One comment from our SW stood out the most as to what this brotherhood is about, "John my dad drove up from TN today and is here with me for the first time in a year, but the fact that you are here means more to me than anything, I have freaking goosebumps." He proved it in an awkward brotherly way.

Meeting was another stated meeting with a nice presentation on one of our traditions. As i sat, observed and participated in business from the side I realized this was the first time since being raised that I was able to have a totally stress free meeting, I felt at home.

The reason dawned on me about half way through the meeting. The was the first time since being raised that i was on the sidelines. You see as a young MM I was enthusiastic and zealous so i was tapped immediately to fill the SD chair that was left vacant around the same time as my raising. I accepted and was honored at the position from the get go without knowing exactly what i was getting myself into.

Meeting adjourned and as Masonic law dictates we promptly gathered in the basement lounge of the bar across the street. Much laughter and discussion was had. And more importantly I was able to have a long conversation with the brother (Our next year's WM) who talked me out of demitting and the WM at the time who tapped me into the chair. No ill will was present just laughter hugs and an agreement, that I would be an active member of the lodge again under the condition that I was given sufficient time to learn the craft without the added pressure of a chair.

I have never felt this whole in a 16 months.

TL:DR I am poo poo at telling stories, and The Craft is good, stay with it.

Also I am still hung over.

Some Zero fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 17, 2014

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Question time again:

As a curiosity question:
If a mason loses his faith in a supreme being, perhaps after years and years as a mason, do they get kicked out? I'm just wondering because the application process is constantly emphasizing and re-emphasizing "AND YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE IN GOD", making it very clear they take it seriously,
This question came up with a candidate I was investigating recently. Not saying you are in this position but upon further dialog it became clear and he admitted later that he did not hold a belief in a higher power was simply claiming he did to gain admission. Never did I ask specifics about about whom he put his faith but upon further discussion he admitted he did not believe in any higher power than man.

But again this was just one of many red flags for this gentlemen we found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Again not saying you are this gentleman.

This guy after about ten minutes of conversation became clear he was a redditard atheist who wanted to join because he thought this was a one way ticket to the nwod and this would solve all his basement dwelling issues.

I wont go into details because I worry about the man. And while we denied his petition I still stay in contact with him hoping to help him become a better man whom can become a mason or at least a better human being.

I again do not say you are him it just brought up this situation in my mind.