Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

So I was just initiated in March. I'm still an EA, and I'm really enjoying and finding value in everything so far. I'm the only EA at my lodge that I've seen, though, and I can't help but feel... Childish, or something, when the lodge always has to open under the EA degree. Like I'm a kid in a grown-up meeting. Am I preventing anything from happening in any way at the meetings? Nobody is giving me dirty looks or anything, I just feel a bit out of place. Or... Is this the whole point of EA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

KillianLett posted:

Nope. We see who's there that day and open in the lowest degree required.

If there is a reason mid meeting to change levels, we will do that though.

(Open on EA, Brother gives Proficiency, change to FC, vote, Proceed with FC degree work on said Brother for example)

Also from Michigan, can confirm this is how our meetings have been going too.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I have only been in for a handful of months, but I feel that I can shed some light on a couple of these. Older members may feel free to correct me. If it helps, I'm based out of Michigan.

SlightlyMad posted:

Hello Masons. I am thinking about applying to join and I have a few personal questions:

I have a bit of a history of acute mental health "episodes". I am very sane 99,9% of the time, but if I have not taken my meds for a considerable while, I can hallucinate. Totally bonkers. Call it acute psychosis, acute schizophrenia, "religious experience" or whatever the diagnosis might be. Does this disqualify me from joining Masonry? All that talk of sound mind and body and such... Note that I do take my medication every day. Lapses are unlikely to occur. Also, in very general terms, is initiation to Masonry a heavily stress-inducing experience, if you can answer that without spoiling anything? :ohdear:

I may be wrong on this but my interpretation of the "sound mind and body" bits are that you made the choice to be there of your own free will - i.e. not under duress or anything.
Initiation wasn't that stress inducing. Mainly I was nervous about what was going to happen (Spoiler: Nothing even remotely as weird as my imagination was coming up with), but you will be taken care of. And outside of that, the only stress I've run into is trying to remember names. But everyone has been very friendly and ready to jump in at any point to help, including during meetings. Couldn't have asked for a better place to be absolutely clueless.

quote:

As for religion, my definition and views of God or gods in general may be very different from what is the "norm" among Masons in these parts. If asked about belief in God, I can answer the question with "Yes" and pass honestly, but if the local lodges require belief in afterlife, being Christian or other details like Monotheism, I am not sure what to think. Good enough, or does this vary much between countries to your knowledge? I hear some lodges in Northern Europe can be weird like that, for example.

You'll be fine. I doubt they'll inquire pas yes/no. I was told that masons of yore realized that religion and politics were extremely divisive and so decided to have a place NOT to bring them up.

quote:

If you need a holy book, does something like Newton's Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica or Euclid's Elements qualify or would I get odd looks, or would I have to pick a Bible or some other? Any holy book would do for me in a pinch, I respect and would defend different religions and religious freedom even if I am not specifically a member of a church. Different books can tell a part of the universal truths in different ways, and can be holy from my perspective. If math and physics is not holy enough though, what is? As I see it, geometry is relevant to a stone worker or architect.

Not entirely sure on this one. But I do know that the volume is there to ensure that you're bound to your word. If you make an oath on a sacred volume that you don't obey, then what good is the oath?

Masons do love geometry. One guy brought in a book on ancient holy geometric patterns one week and there was a crowd of guys taking a look at it, VERY interested.

quote:

Someone said that you need to be a people person to be a Mason. Unfortunately and to my embarrassment I forget names immediately after hearing them, unless I manage to memorize them with some degree of mental effort. I am also quiet to a fault in a group setting and have difficulties socializing unless I am interacting one-on-one with someone, which I usually enjoy. I have no clear idea if I would fit in a lodge well. I would like to. Doing charity and many of the other aspects of Masonry in particular appeal to me.

I'm sure it helps. I'm a bit reserved in new situations, particularly if I'm confused - which I was, and still am to a lesser extent.
Although, and it's hard to imagine (and situations may vary) but I'm not sure I've met a group more willing to help out the new guy. There was some initial awkwardness as I was barely even sure when to sit and stand at the meetings, but I had several people give me their personal number out of the blue and tell me that they'll answer any questions at any time. Making those new relationships might challenge you (like me) no matter what, but they seemed very receptive of the newbie. Even visiting members would come up to me to talk after the meeting.

quote:

And then there is the issue of time. I am worried that having a baby in the family soon will keep me busy, tired and unable to dedicate my focus to Masonic activities to the extent that may be expected of me. How do you manage a family life with your other duties? I want to be a good father and a good brother too, should I be accepted to join. Can you bring a crying toddler to a lodge on days when there is no other option other than stay away? Is there such a thing as Masonic daycare? A goat pen for babies? ;) I am still getting my head around the whole "becoming a dad" thing. What is your experience in this regard?

Not a father, but a few masons at my lodge are new dads. We meet up for lodge once a month, and attendance is not mandatory. If you become an officer your responsibilities might change but that's your choice, and you'd know by then what you can and cannot do.

I don't know if you could bring a child to the meetings. My guess is no but I truly have no idea.

I will say, and I'm sure you've come across this somewhere, there was a heavy emphasis on the importance your life duties. Being a Mason is great, but they always say that your primary responsibilities are to your family.

If you truly think you're too busy, it couldn't hurt to go to a lodge and meet some people so you have some contacts when you're ready.

quote:

Sorry for any ignorance on my part. Thank you for your advice.

Good luck!

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

KillianLett posted:

Just spotted this.

Where's your lodge? I'm from 175

Not far! I'm from #5.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

There are several officer positions and they basically flow from one to the next. This applies both in a local lodge and the Grand Lodge. For the most part, you start in one position and each year you get bumped to the next.
I believe you still have to get voted in to each position, but the general understanding is that you advance each year.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Checking in on a sleeping thread to say I'm finally scheduled to have my MM degree next Tuesday and I'm really looking forward to it. I've not been in for a full year yet and already I have seen such positivity and generosity from the men at my lodge that I'm very eager to become more involved myself.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Congrats! Whereabouts are you located? (General country/region/whatever is fine, not trying to doxx anyone)

Like I'm sure people told you before your EA degree, just relax and take it all in. There's a lot going on there.

I'm based out of Michigan. More specifically, the fringes of Detroit.

My EA went great but of course I had all these preconceived notions about what I thought would happen, plus I was very nervous. Once I saw and understood, my FC was much better. I'm looking forward to the MM. It's a welcoming feeling, knowing that this group of people is practicing and rehearsing to get things right for my own experience.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Hit another delay but finally got my MM last night.

My lodge is pretty chill, but that degree was for real. Glad to finally be a full member though.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

The UGLE? Not sure on that one. If you mean getting in contact with your local lodge, though, my process was pretty simple.

I knew no other masons, so I just looked up nearby lodges on Google Maps, compared the few within a comfortable range, then sent them an email (found on their website). The email went to the secretary of the lodge who invited me to meet everyone before their next meeting. I wandered inside this building I had never seen before and was warmly greeted and had all my questions answered, with a small tour. Eventually I was given a petition to fill out, some guys gave me their recommendation, and that was it.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have visited a couple of lodges. I have visited some other lodges in the area now and although it is all technically the same, the mood was different between lodges, and of course the lodge itself differed. Some were more comfortable, some were more formal, etc. I would also note how many guys you see at each visit, assuming each time you visit you see an average turnout (which may not be the case).

I am lucky - if I saw all the nearby lodges beforehand I still would have picked the one I'm at now. Of course, nothing is really stopping you from going wherever you want once you're a member (sort of), but I think your home lodge is important.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

You should be able to look them up online (by city or by a number on the building/signage, if you can find one). I think my lodge has meetings of some sort every Tuesday at least and I think someone is there most nights doing some thing, even if it's not for very long.

Someone is paying the bills there, so I would assume it's in use for something!

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

It's way less of a big deal than I thought it would be, or made it out to be. I also thought about whether I fit in with my specific views and angles but you just have to be able to say "yes, I believe in a higher power."

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

What about Royal Arch? Does anyone have experience with that?

What I really like most about masonry is the history and symbolism. Royal Arch sounds to me like the furthest extension of that idea.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

thehandtruck posted:

Hey thread, got a few questions for ya:

Kind of a lot of questions here that will vary based on location and lodge, but I will say at least in my lodge (in Michigan) it's really just an organization of men who also do ritual. We "believe" in the ritual in that we will try to apply some stuff from the lectures into our lives, i.e. be good to people, improve yourself, and be charitable. I've never heard anyone mention religion or politics in lodge, outside of one of our guys running for city council and casually talking about that. There are some oddball guys but I've also never heard anyone get called out on their weird beliefs. I think for the most part everyone "gets it."

Some lodges adhere to the ritual very strongly, in my lodge we are a bit lax (maybe too much). We do the ritual, we practice, but sometimes someone skips a part or messes up by accident and we move on. Some people like to dig deeper and find meaning, and you can find plenty, which is why it may vary from place to place. As much as it is important to find out if Masonry is for you, you should find a lodge that is a good personality fit as well for the things you find important.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

This changed over time, as Freemasonry became more accepted, and so on. What's the book? A Pilgrim's Path? I think that's it - it would give a much better review of the history than I can and much more knowledgeable; it's been a few years since I read it.

This is a good one, I read this when I was trying to decide to petition or not. It's written by a non-mason, but is still a little biased. But it goes into great detail about the history and cultural importance.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I think membership is not really a secret, usually. But the ability to operate secretly is a part of how masonry has been able to survive for so long. But there's not really a rule that says you can't tell anyone, if that's what you're asking.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

We've done one similar, it worked surprisingly well. Lots of older members were very used to Zoom by now so we were lucky to have almost no technical issues.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Where I am (Michigan, US) it feels assumed that you will do all 3 if you do any at all. I have my Royal Arch and I'm probably not going any further though.

The RA degrees were really good. I am glad I did them.

My understanding is that if you do Commandery you don't have to be christian per se, but you will have to pledge to defend the christian faith. Might be off on that one though.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I knew no other masons, so I just looked up nearby lodges on Google Maps, compared the few within a comfortable range, then sent them an email (found on their website). The email went to the secretary of the lodge who invited me to meet everyone before their next meeting. I wandered inside this building I had never seen before and was warmly greeted and had all my questions answered, with a small tour. Eventually I was given a petition to fill out, some guys gave me their recommendation, and that was it.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have visited a couple of lodges. I have visited some other lodges in the area now and although it is all technically the same, the mood was different between lodges, and of course the lodge itself differed. Some were more comfortable, some were more formal, etc. I would also note how many guys you see at each visit, assuming each time you visit you see an average turnout (which may not be the case).

I am lucky - if I saw all the nearby lodges beforehand I still would have picked the one I'm at now. Of course, nothing is really stopping you from going wherever you want once you're a member (sort of), but I think your home lodge is important.

Not expecting you to read every page or anything but this is what I've posted before about my experience. So I'd say it depends on what you are looking for - some places take individual aspects very seriously, so if that matters to you I would seek those out.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I think I've even seen those initiation fees waived for hardship as well. I've not really seen a lodge that's "in it for the money" even a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Edit: Regarding disability - Freemasonry is not a charity and won’t accept people who are joining for the purpose of receiving aid. Otherwise as long as you’re financially stable, you’ll be welcome. The ceremony itself involves walking, kneeling, using both hands, and you can’t bring any metal objects like a cane.

Lodges will vary but in the lodges around me, I think they would just "make it work" with whatever you can do. You may want to ask ahead of time to wherever you are looking at joining.