Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
The little bit of banter between you guys there made the start of this day enjoyable. Thanks guys. Makes me wish we could actually establish an Internet Lodge - I'm aware of one that has worldwide membership and meets occasionally in Manchester. The entire application process is performed electronically.

Scottish Freemasonry - Differences.

The Master of the Lodge is referred to as the 'Right Worshipful' Master.

The Wardens, both Senior and Junior, are referred to as 'Worshipful' Junior or Senior Warden.

Petitioning process is likely the same, criteria will be the same (but not elaborated upon)

Regalia is up to the individual lodge to decide upon - this leads to a rich canopy of colours and patterns. There are a lot of tartans used, as well.

Example -

The actual ceremonies themselves can also vary from lodge to lodge, even ones that meet in the same building.

If any Brother feels a part of that post is objectionable for whatever reason, let me know asap and I'll modify accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Tangentally (spelling?) related to the topic of 'progression' is another commentary on the Craft in Scotland.

In most lodges here, someone who wants to hold office is usually started out with a few years in 'non progressive' office - by which I mean Bible Bearer, Sword Bearer, etc. Once they've had a few years experience of this, and perhaps dabbling a little with some floor work, they're then moved into 'progressive' office - starting with Tyler/Outer Guard, Inner Guard, Junior Deacon, Senior Deacon, Worshipful Junior / Senior Warden then culminating with being installed in the chair as RWM. Each office is usually held for two years, moving alternatively than the RWM. This is of course, the ideal, but doesn't always happen in practice. For example, I'm heading into the WJW position this coming year (which was a bit of a shock) yet I've only been in the craft three years - one year as Inner Guard, one year as Senior Deacon (currently), and now WJW-elect with installation in Feb 2013.

If I am wrong, correct me, but I understand it is usualy practice for someone to spend a year in each 'progressive' office in the USA? On average, how many actually take up office, in your estimation? Likewise, how many actually spend a bit of time learning things before heading up to do the more floor-orientated work? How does the difference for the Craft in Scotland sound in comparison with your guys experience? I'd like to get your opinions.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh aye, another wee difference between the US and Scotland - we don't have hats for the Master or Wardens. Personally, I like the little flair of style it adds, but no way it would gain traction over here.

(By the way, if anyone is tired of me pointing out differences between our various jurisdictions, feel free to say. I'll shut up accordingly!)

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

QPZIL posted:

Ah, I love when people get flustered during the degrees, especially scared candidates.

"In whom do you put your trust?"
"IN MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST"
"*ahem*... uh... in... whom?"

Or of course the classic response (to the question we are all aware of)

"A DRINK!"

A small tidbit of information before I head off for this evenings work (lodge of instruction, 1st degree, OBs are taking position that they'll be in for the year ahead) :

There is a lodge in Scotland which opens and closes entirely in Scots Gaelic. To show an example of the kind of language I'm referring to, a common sentence from the opening of the lodge would be loosely translated as "Cruthaigh go bhfuil an thaisceadh cosanta gar."

Sadly, the above is Irish Gaelic, as I couldn't locate a decent translation medium for Scots Gaelic, but you get the point. (Prove that the lodge is close tyled is the sentence.)

Brimmstone posted:

And here's the point when we get to whisper sweet nothings to the deacons or stewards... Bonus points if you can get them to crack.

Aye, its a wee bit of fun - but there is an old story from my mother lodge, that a visiting brother was loudly declared as an imposter when he failed to answer a particular question correctly. Another time, more jokingly, my father was declared an imposter (he's english, and has a rather thick birmingham accent) as the deacon questioning him 'couldnt understand' what he was saying. He was of course, taking the piss.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

Historical, based on the requirement to join "by your own free will and accord." Can't be changed. I am not sure if anyone has tested this, one could make an Enlightenment era argument that slavery is impossible and therefore all people are born free. It'd need tested I suppose.

Also one comment I heard on the matter was that a slave could have been forced by their 'owner' to divulge what they'd seen, heard, etc.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

COUNTDOWN TO 6013! :toot:

50 minutes and counting in bonny Scotland. A toast to all you fine gentlemen, and here's to a prosperous and happy new year.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dougie posted:

Glad to find this thread, fraternal greetings to you all. I am currently RWM of a small lodge in Scotland and have always had an interest in the ways in which people approach freemasonry around the world.
Our applications do not ask specifically that you believe in 'god' only that you believe in a 'supreme being', there is no mention of christ as far as I am aware.
I did read a conspiracy theory article online about some guy who was admitted to the 33degree and decided to denounce his masonic brethren when they referred to Jesus as 'an apostle of Mankind' thus removing any divine identity from him and suggesting that he was mortal. I have never seen this concept corroborated anywhere else, perhaps have to wait until I pass that degree myself ;)

Good to see another brother from bonny Caledonia. I'm a Scots mason too - which lodge are you RWM of?

SafetyTrain posted:

What kind of income disparity is there usually in your run-of-the-mill Lodge?

It varies - an example being that one guy I know was a traffic warden - another was a teacher.

Iymarra fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 4, 2013

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dougie posted:

St. Mary's, Tobermory, 1310

Brilliant, are you enjoying your term as RWM?

I'm SD (WJW elect) Lodge 19 Coupar O'Fife, Province of Fife and Kinross. You and any other travelling Brethren are more than welcome to swing our way if you happen to be in the area.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

QPZIL posted:

I've been speaking with the secretaries of both the York Rite and Scottish Rite about joining up. The next YR festival is in March and the next SR reunion is in April, so I've got plenty of time to consider and think about it.

I'm dead set on the SR, as it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. But, in the interest of furthering my Masonic education, I'm also looking at the YR. Would there be much to gain from a non-Christian joining? I know the Commandery is focused on the Jesus story, and have a requirement of being a Christian to join, but is it worth going through just the Chapter and Council?

Chapter has some nice lectures, but the best (in my opinion) is in the Cryptic Council. Those who have taken the Cryptic degrees will know which what I mean, as will you when/if you take it. I can wholeheartedly recommend both Chapter and Council to you.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

This is the case as I understand it in Scotland and other bodies receiving their charter from the GL of Scotland. Mark Master isn't really a higher degree, but it "completes" the third degree, such that Master Mason without the Mark Master is kind of a half-Master degree - still a Master Mason, with all the privileges, rights, and responsibilities so accompanying it, but not quite a complete Master.

I'd like clarification from some of our Scottish brethren if possible on that point, I'm only saying what I'd gathered from my travels there.

I want to do that degree, but don't know if I want to rock York Rite. I'm strongly considering Scottish Rite soon though, got an invite to a "one day class," but I'm kinda meh about those. So we'll see.

The Mark is conferred in Scotland based on an agreement between Supreme Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Scotland and the Grand Lodge of Scotland. The Mark Master Mason degree is a prequisite of taking the Royal Arch here, however there is no compulsion to go further into the 'York rite' beyond the Mark if you do not wish. It is a nice degree, and well worth taking if you can.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Random news from my province - a brother in a local lodge was recognised for his 75th anniversary of joining the Craft. He's 98 years old and still as spry as ever, and has never taken office during that whole time.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As has already been said, it does tend to vary from lodge to lodge, and jurisdiction to jurisdiction. A good friend of mine was initiated into a lodge in Belgium (which thankfully was under the constitution of the Grand Lodge of Scotland, not any of the potentially irregular 'Grand Lodges' on the continent) and was told that to progress from his first to second would be around about a year.

For my lodge, it also varies but mainly down to the particular persons work schedule, as you would expect. There is no long catechism here, merely a short set of questions that the candidate must memorise the answer to.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you have a contact at a lodge you're intent on heading to, I would explain that. Also, a formal letter of introduction from your own lodge secretary, in addition to certificates showing (whatever degree you are) would probably (in my experience) suffice in addition to standard testing. We do not have dues cards in Scotland either, so what I've outlined would be my own plan. Paperwork and such is just really supplemental to the usual tests, but well worth taking just to remove any doubt.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In comparison, here is the KT regalia for Scotland -

Yes, that is me.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Some Zero posted:

Any brothers up for a long drawn out email chain while I vent and try and salvage a blue lodge issue? PMs work as well just don't want to suck anyone in with out full disclosure.

I have no problem listening, and weighing in. PMs if you don't mind, please.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've just returned from a great sojourn with some of the guys from my lodge to meet brethren we've got a bit of a rapport with in Northern Ireland, mainly Services Lodge #174 under the Irish Constitution and St Patrick #77, as well as a side trip to the Grand Lodge of Ireland in Dublin. It was a great weekend, and the Grand Lodge of Ireland was absolutely magnificent. Pictures etc should be forthcoming soonish.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

Wow! Surprised nothing in this photo is classified. Thanks for sharing... I feel like I'm seeing something I'm not supposed to see.

Nah, as QPZIL mentioned only a few things are secret-secret. That was taken after closing, too. Our lodge (and a couple others) in the province had an 'open day' last year, where we set everything up and invited in the public to answer questions and show them we're not the weird, chanting crazies that tin-foil folks paint us as. We got a lot of foot traffic which was great - mostly curious people, as I would have expected.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Perhaps a penguin posted:

I'm really happy this thread exists. I've been thinking about joining the craft ever since I was of age (now 22), and this thread is only nudging me farther in that direction. What planted the seed of that idea in my mind was when I found out about my grandfather's degree of involvement with the Masons as well as many other Masonic organizations. He rose to the 32nd degree in the Scottish Rite, and was a member of the Shrine as well as the Tall Cedars of Lebanon. I think he may have also been involved in the York Rite, because I remember seeing something about the Knights of Malta (?) in his papers and Masonic stuff. I may have tried on a fez of his.
What impressed me so much about the man was his work, his passion, and his character. He was one of the most friendly, tolerant, and trustworthy people I have ever met. I can only say the same for the few other people I know who are Masons.
The general impression I get from you guys is that the craft has helped cement the foundation of your character, grow morally, and that you wish you had joined earlier. Would you consider it better to join young, and would I learn more from the craft by doing so?

I wish that I had made contact earlier, and by our jurisdiction since I'm the son of a mason I could have been initiated at 18. However, reflecting on that now, despite my wish to have entered the craft earlier, I'm not sure if I was mature enough back then.
I'm also glad that this thread is helping, if there is advice you're looking for or a question to ask (within reason, of course) then ask away, because as you may have seen in previous posts and/or previous iterations of this thread, the guys here are more than willing to not only answer questions, but to also give support to those goons going on the path - 7th is a prime example.

Edit : You only get out of the craft in equation to what you put in. Spend time learning lectures, ritual and suchlike, spend time with guys in the lodge, take part in social events and charitable drives / occasions, and you'll see what it is really all about.

Iymarra fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 3, 2013

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Colton posted:

just chiming in the thread here to say that I contacted my local lodge and asked for petition papers. the secretary of lodge said he'd mail them to me and call me next week so we can meet over coffee and talk. My wife thinks it's silly but I like the idea of learning how to be a better man than I am. I just worry that my work schedule will prevent me from participating as much as I would need to. I work till 8 four nights a week.

anyway, wish me luck. maybe one day I'll get to call you all brothers.

I'd possibly suggest that after you've had a chat with the secretary to have him speak with your wife - perhaps there are some basic things that he can answer which would address any 'silly' quibbles she has. In my experience, it is better if significant others are on board, as they are not only more likely to get benefit from social events and such, but also feel like a contributing factor to the lodge in their own way.

This is my feeling, and your mileage may vary, but if any Brother wishes to comment on this in any way, go ahead.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As others have said - relax, enjoy a bit of time with them and get to know them. This isn't a job interview, you are not on the spot. If you have questions, you should ask them (unless you're uncertain about asking those questions in public, in which case I would perhaps suggest that you ask us here - many have done so before.)

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Carbolic posted:

If someone went to jail would you suspend them from the lodge and/or revoke their status? What if they were on probation or out on bail?

Over here, if someone was arrested then an inquiry would be launched by the provincial disciplinary committee.
If the charges were dropped, so would the inquiry - depending on the charges initially. I believe they would still look into a persons behaviour and such if they were, for example, charged with assault but the charges were dropped.

If they were found guilty of anything (summary roadside judgements like a speeding fine notwithstanding) then in all likelihood they would be expelled, depending on the crime. Any kind of custodial sentence would lead to expulsion as a foregone conclusion.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
After a busy season, that was the last meeting I'll be going to until we start up again in September. One of the local lodges had a mark degree worked by another team - great laugh and a good time. Plenty of visitors, too. The working team did a great job, some of their junior members did lectures or floorwork - a notable mention to one of their guys who is Sikh - the only such guy in the province, and he's a good sport, too.

Regarding the discussion from the past few posts, OES is the same here and co-ed, can't think of any others (young-folk masonic orders / groups do not exist to my knowledge, sadly - Girl Guides, Brownies, Beavers/Cubs/Scouts etc do, but not Masonic-based.)

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

If you get stuck, let me know.

Ultimately it has been a huge success and it will make its way to DVD.

On seeing the title, I made the internal assumption that it would be in the usual vein of 'inside story' programs - I am pleased to say that I was quite wrong. I'm also glad that I can watch it online, sometimes we get problems in that kind of thing in the UK. The archive section is a personal interest - I do love learning about the rich tapestry of history that lodges develop.

There are only two episodes listed presently for that series - is that correct or are there more that have aired which are due to be uploaded / released?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FreshFeesh posted:

Heck yes. :woop: I'll have to report on this at the Stated Meeting later this week; I know more than a few guys will want to hear this.

Extremely pleased to see this being overturned. Good sense prevails.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jonboy8871 posted:

Aaaaaaaand it's all been thrown away. Remember: if you don't know what something is, just put it in the trash!

Oh no, no no no. That is the worst thing. What a massive shame - I know our sympathies won't really help in the resoration of the old artifacts, but I know exactly where you're coming from. I too feel a little queasy at the thought of old pieces of history being chucked out. We have an old apron behind a display case, guesstimated to be from 1822-1826 when the lodge was known to be under a different name.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jonboy8871 posted:

Guys, I'm gonna let this go after this post, but I'm just so disappointed what people let happen. After tonight, I got a little more information on how what was basically all the accoutrements to the town's defunct Royal Arch chapter got trashed. Apparently, the now-deceased building owner brought in his friend, a local amateur historian who really does know a ton about the history of the area. He's not a Mason, but I believe his father was. He was the one who pronounced it not worth worrying about.

One hundred and fifty years ago, his however-many-greats grandfather was an extremely prominent Alabamian and a Royal Arch Mason. His name was probably in that record book that's disintegrating in a landfill somewhere now.

And I bet he had no idea. I discovered it just now through a Google search.

That is supremely depressing, and a great shame.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Effingham posted:

True, but it's always kind of nice to have a tangible bit of history. My local Lodge burned to the ground about 15 or 18 years ago. All that was salvaged were a handful of metal officers' jewels that weren't consumed by the fire. Everything else? Gone. All the photos of the past masters, all the photos of the events, all the history. Thank God the secretary had the roll books and so on at his house -- but the other records and the original (1850) charter are gone. I go to visit other lodges in the area, and I see a wall of past masters looking down at me, stretching back into the distant past. My Lodge only has a couple of pictures of a local who was Grand Master in the 20s or 30s, and a few pictures of recent DeMolay/OES/Rainbow things. We don't even have the past 16 years of WMs, apparently because it would be "too jarring" for sudden modern pictures with nothing behind them. Some of us officers want to at least get a placque made up with past WMs' names on them, but... sigh.

The official story is that the fire was an unknown accident; the unofficial story is that it was arson, and people had a good idea of generally who, but... eh.

We too have had a loss of extremely old records - minutes and records of past masters from 1736 to 1823 were lost when, during ww2, the lodge building was taken as a billet for Polish troops. To keep themselves warm, they burnt papers. Sadly, those papers were very old records, not that they were particularly to know.

As Keetron has rightly pointed out, we make the history, and not the curios and suchlike - though I do find a nice piece of history quite comforting, sometimes - an old gavel, worn by the touch of many illustrious hands.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Due to a massive effort in the province, we've managed to get a 'Masonic News' group up for the province - still very much an uphill struggle to get folk in - something approaching 700 members - which is a fair number.

My lodge itself has a FB page (which I run along with the current DM and current WSW) but the opinion of Facebook (and the internet as a whole) in the area is low - misinformed, mistrusting or just apathetic.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Which province?

Fife and Kinross, Scotland.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wow, what a day. First time at the Grand Lodge of Scotland - it was the regular communication today. Amazing, place was packed. Looking forward to the next one in October. Also, there was a memorial for two brethren who were no longer among us, which was a nice show of sympathy and support.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FreshFeesh posted:

Can you estimate how many brothers were in attendance? Sounds like a great time

650ish lodges in Scotland, Master and the two Wardens are supposed to attend, factor in those attending to represent Grand Lodge / Provincial Grand Lodges / District Grand Lodges and others supporting them (the District Grand Master of Barbados was there, along with 14 Brethren who came along with him - just one example)

It would be very hard to give even a rough guesstimation, if you then factor in those who did not attend and put apologies in, however it had to have been in the hundreds. I know there is a RWM of a lodge in Scotland who has posted here a couple times, if he was there then he might be able to chime in with his opinion, but I'd conservatively say 200-400ish quite easily.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Can anyone recommend any good masonic podcasts? There seems to be only a handful of decent ones to listen to on iTunes.

What about online publications? Post a link why don't you?

Don't know of any podcasts, but would love some

As for publications, I get 'The Square' magazine through the post, but I believe there is a digital option. Same with the 'Working Tools' magazine. I have found 'The Square' to be UGLE-related, and the WT to be a bit more general, but your mileage may vary.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Solvent posted:

Is this still the order of business? Because, gently caress Florida indeed.
I've recently heard from a Past master of my regular, UGLE recognized lodge, here in California, who is a black man. This Worshipful African American gentleman, moved to Miami of all places, the most cosmopolitan city in this backwards state, and he is NOT ALLOWED TO ATTEND LODGE. He was told by the local lodge, and several others in his area, to "go join a prince hall lodge".

gently caress Florida.

What in the gently caress? I know that there are obvious race problems in some places which we should be able to move past, but goddamn, that is something else. My old man (and brother) has a problem with non-caucasians, but we've had a number of brethren who have come here (scotland - one is a PM of a lodge in Los Angeles, and a prominent tattoo artist, and the other was a brother by the name of Cassius. He and ALL others treated these guys with the respect that any human deserves of another, and completely according to the way things should be.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
On the recommendation of jrgnsn_tjf in the post above, I've started to listen to the 'Whence Came You?' podcast. I highly recommend it to other brethren. So far, it seems quite simply and refreshing. 90-something episodes to go!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

I forgot to add: 'The Life Masonic' to that list.

It's good too, but a lot of it is lost on me owing to the fact it is Scottish Rite :australia:

It would be nice to see some people on these podcasts (looking at 'The Midnight Freemasons' in particular) who were more 'average' brethren - folks who concentrated on the 'blues' more. I wonder what these podcasts opinions would be on doing sections with masons from other countries to discuss the differences (and similarities) of their particular constitution.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Colton posted:

Just got back from a dinner the lodge I petitioned put on. I was told that a committee will be coming to speak to be sometimes between now and september. looking forward to posting when I'll be initiated.

Excellent! I assume you enjoyed the dinner - anything interesting happen?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Colton posted:

well, the dinner was ok.. it was ham and potatoes au gratin from a box. It was a dinner in honor of our ladies so my wife and son were invited too. my 11 month old constantly ran around the lodge making noise. Some of the brothers and their wives took turns holding him and saying how cute he was. Other than that, nothing really different, except that from looking at who was there it seems the lodge is mostly old men and pretty small... but everyone there is getting used to seeing me.

Excellent - what was the vibe like? I assume it must be alright given that you mentioned you were looking forward to hearing from the committee of enquiry, but it doesn't hurt to know! If you don't mind me asking, did your wife have any feedback, opinion, etc?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keetron posted:

Now even infiltrating HONY:

Not quite following, sorry. I can see the GL of Mass, but don't get anything else.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Your family should be on board, because Masonry is not just for you, but can involve them - charitable and social events mainly, but also the young-people orders and things like the OES for the ladies. It also makes things easier if your partner / significant other / parents / whatever or whomever you live with are on board, because it means you're less likely to have problems (i.e "Is that you going out AGAIN?" or some other similar variant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Colton posted:

just got an email inviting me to breakfast at the lodge this Saturday. They feed me, then they vote on if they want me after I leave. wish me luck

Best of luck - ask sensible questions if the need arises, but above all just enjoy the time you're going to spend with potentially-probably future brethren. Previous goons who have had a meal-invite have reported back on a great time. I think one goon went to a bbq and had a brilliant day, they could probably chime in themselves. Can't remember who it was.