Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm a male goon, but I can talk a bit about OES. The Order is strongly oriented to women related to Masons, but men who are Master Masons are allowed to join. There are actually two positions that are male only, but it's mostly a symbolic thing. Overall it's pretty vanilla for an associated body with a similar officer structure, a bit more tied to the Christian Bible but doesn't actually require a specific religious belief. Initiation is a lot less fun though. Nobody goes for the full 8 seconds or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Go convince a couple thousand crotchety old men to let women into their secret club and then you can be a Mason. Until then, you can't be a Mason. Unless you want to be a French Mason.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Crap, that's true. Web of recognition and everything.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I've never met a mason who's had his affiliation aid in doing business, but otherwise you're exactly correct.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also if you draw the long straw at the monthly meeting you get to enjoy the high intensity high reward world of goat farming!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The prohibition on the disabled is a holdover from when Masonry was actually a guild for stoneworkers, as I was made to understand. Seeing as the guild was also a sort of social security system, allowing in those who couldn't really work in order to have a safety net was seen as undesirable. Considering the work that Masonry now conducts, no one could really be considered disabled in the unable to work sense.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hilariously enough, we can also join regular lodges and not be sexist.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Guys I just tried to join the Red Hat Society but they just laughed at me. Are they a sexist organization?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
OES is not only co-ed, it's fun and you guys should consider visiting your local chapter!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It'll be interesting to see how the other state Shrines react.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm not a new Brother and I think that's bullshit, so you're not alone.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TemetNosceXVIcubus posted:

It's hard for non masons to understand what the job of the Secretary entitles. If you think Mad Men style, then they're there to take notes and look pretty.

In reality, the Secretary is the most important role in the Lodge. The Worshipful Master may lead the lodge, but the secretary is the one that organizes everything. All petitions, all formal work, all communications from the lodge to the outside work, are handled by the secretary. The WM may look good, and make decisions, but the secretary actually does the bits to make it happen.

This is true of all associated Masonic bodies as well, which is why you'll have OES Secretaries who've had the job for decades and know the by-laws inside and out. Getting elected Secretary may be the hardest work a brother does for a lodge.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I would say that if you have any body piercings you may want to take them out, so as to not spook the goat.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

redeyes posted:

I think that is what I meant. And the guy did make it clear they don't invite people, just that I should look into being a member and he would vouch for me. I feel honored but alas, I don't fit into this type of thing.

Well, at the very least you know that guy thinks you're a great dude.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It would be right behind "uncover the secret NAACP/Zionist/Feminist Plot to Kill America" as the worst reason to join. The ideals of Masonry make using the organization to get a leg up as ineffective as it would be distasteful.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The trick is to get books on Goat Care and Leather Maintenance but only read them after you're initiated so you can get to work ASAP.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All will be revealed, don't stress about it. Although you may want to bring some deodorant. Also, take out your nipple piercing before you show up.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Welcome, Brother!

Just take care of the goat and keep your ears open, Masonry has had a bit of time to get the process of familiarity down.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Do you have a burning desire to join the world's oldest frat (by average age of member)? Because it's not just clowns, oh no. And the clown thing is sort of tangential. Most people think of Shriners as tiny hats and tiny cars.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Don't go to the Shrine circus, I'm pretty sure the Shriner clowns don't show up to regular meetings in paint.

Maybe, by befriending these men, you can overcome this clownfear.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm really just eager to add "Help you get over your fear of mimes and other entertainers" to my list of Things Masonry Can Do For You.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Masonic politics (in the brotherhood and also the various appellate bodies) is boring as sin until you reach about 70 years of age when it becomes deadly important because...? It's distracting to our stated goals but it just keeps growing. Ask me about having a Masonic Home Board for a year after dissolving the Masonic Home sometime.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I personally have never known an entire lodge without at least a handful of brothers who were a boon to the craft.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The thing to remember is that Masonry, despite our goal of improving ourselves, is no less susceptible to incorrect intent and action than any other organization. There will always be Masons who have joined for the wrong reasons, just like police officers and teachers and anything else. And while it can be disheartening when we see those members in a position of power we must remember that this is not the norm. For every lodge with some brother cooking books or refusing to recognize Prince Hall lodges or rowing with the Shriners there are dozens made up of men who are there for the right reasons. I'm certain you can find one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
1. It is not and I would say that sort of restriction would be against the laws of the OES, but maybe your area has a bylaw that allows such interpretation. That is not how Star should be.

2. $8.50 compared to my lodge dues of $45, but that will vary between districts and states.

3. No, you don't get marked with the secret shame sign for not getting into a chapter. To be honest, I've never known someone not to receive the signatures unless they were arrested after petitioning.

OES is a great organization and I hope you find yourself enjoying a membership soon.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
What kind of Podunk lodge uses a mechanical goat? That's straight up some poser Oddfellows business.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Have another coworker who's also a Brother talk to him? A prompt reminder from a fellow member of the craft might have more effect.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Is your boss aware of what his son is doing? If not, telling him would probably stop that poo poo on a dime.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The more orders and temples and lodges you're a member of the greater chance every night is barbecue night.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

vortmax posted:

One of my good friends just became Worshipful Master of the Federal Lodge #1 in DC. Just from what you guys say here, I understand that's a big deal. But what does it really mean?

Basically your friend's fellow Masons decided that, for the year, your friend is the guy who leads the lodge.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Read the thread, got interested, then remembered my last Pope really hated you guys and my current Pope hasn't had enough time to say anything about it. So I'll be sitting on the sidelines.

Maybe I'll join up with the KofC and hang out with my Dad, though.

Knights of Columbus are as a general rule a pretty cool group so you'll probably enjoy it if you would enjoy Masonry at all.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I doubt Francis will make a statement on Masonry if only because he's got a bigger agenda to work on.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's only temporary. There will be times you'll be sad about that and times you'll be happy for it, but eventually someone else is going to be WM and take up everything you've been doing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Isn't there some precedent of masons who began to transition after becoming a brother being allowed to continue in the Lodge? Obviously if you had begun your transition beforehand, you would be ineligible.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Take a look at the second Jobie req. Job's Daughters need to have a Masonic relative of some stripe, Rainbows do not.

EDIT: The OES is absolutely run by women. The only positions that can't be filled by a woman, the Worthy Patron and Associate Worthy, don't do much of anything except when initiating new members.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 23, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
A view also held by most non-brothers who aren't raging assholes.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I can't tell if you're a ratfuck insane conspiracy theorist or just someone who thinks they know far more than they do.

Must they be exclusive?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

Cut me some slack man that took almost 4 hours and I'm exhausted okay

Jesus I never knew goats could run that fast

Ah, I remember when the goat RUNNING was the problem.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Arguing about what to eat next meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Loomer posted:

Recruiting the brethren to handle some of the Lines would allow me to pick both! I'll just have to create a faux appending body to do it.The Order of the Ivory Canid, or some such.

Shriners But With Dice Too.