Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orillion
Jun 14, 2011

What i don't get about regular Masonry is why landmarks cannot be questioned. I mean, freemasonry is about promoting humanist values, isn't it? Isn't it about becoming a better Man (in the human sense), "better" in that case meaning enforcing values of liberty, equality and generosity? Please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm eager to understand.

Then why cannot landmarks such as belief in a higher being and being male be questioned? I know these are considered foundations of freemasonry, but they seem so unrelated to the values freemasonry is promoting. Each time this has been suggested in this thread or in the old one, a blunt refusal has been opposed, without any real explanation (other than "it's the way it is, deal with it", i mean), and i'm having a hard time understanding this. So, could anyone of you gentlegoons explain that to me please?

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orillion
Jun 14, 2011

Thatim posted:

Here in Europe there are versions of Freemasonry which are female only, male only and mixed. Only the last group calls themself Freemason, but the other organisations are based on the same principles. If you prefer any of the others.. Why not join them? To each its own I guess.

Well i'm asking because i have a bunch of friends in these irregular versions of Freemasonry (GODF mainly), and from what i can see, they truly share the values and principles of regular Masonry, hence the hard time i'm having to tell the difference. I'll admit i'm feeling more attracted to this irregular form of Freemasonry, but which order i'm inclined towards isn't really the point of my question. What i can't seem to understand is why regulars and irregulars are so incompatible, what i cannot grasp is why belief in a higher being and being a male-only society are relevant in the context of the Western world of early 21st century.

But if i understand correctly, it all comes down to rituals? Does the difference in landmarks change the meaning of the rituals so much that it makes a huge difference between regular and irregular Masonry? (i know nothing about masonic rituals)

Orillion
Jun 14, 2011

INTJ Mastermind posted:

It's to deal with the problems of:

1) How does one establish a world-wide network of brotherhood without a central governing authority?
2) How does one enforce a standard of uniformity and tradition without a central governing authority?
3) How does one protect Freemasonry against those who would use its name for unscrupulous profit?

[...]

There have, and still are, many organizations claiming to be masonry that are basically for-profit scams designed to make a lot of money for their organizers via membership dues. And these laws of regularity basically keep Freemasonry from being infiltrated by outsiders.

Ok, i think i got it. What i didn't understand was the "you don't have to join if you don't want to" part, but the above practical answer is making things much clearer. Thanks a lot!