Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

lone77wulf posted:

I didn't get this post in fast enough to make it onto the first page, but I sent my copy of Freemasons for Dummies off to Wizard of Smart today. Not sure the best way to get it moving around, but I guess the easiest would be for him to post when he's finished reading it for the next interested person to ask.

I meant to reply to your PM but the rest of the day just kind of happened and when I realized it it was late late times. Thanks! I'm very excited to read it and I'll definitely post when I'm done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I got the Freemasonry for Dummies book in the mail today. Tickled me to see "Wizard of Smart" as the addressee. Haha. Glad to know the mail service will deliver it even if it's a whacked out name.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Edit: on a serious note, the postal service doesn't care about the name on the address, just the address and the Zip Code. Name only comes up if it's a "signature needed" and even then only if the dude is busting your chops, and you just have to print as well as sign. My SASSmas gift came to Mr. Paramemetic.

My usual postman usually does, and will at least come to the door and ask if the parcel is supposed to be here - but then he knows me and knows who gets mail here. I guess I got used to that and forgot that it's not like that in most places :saddowns: The book is great so far!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

7thBatallion posted:

Just to make it all the better, I'll be putting the mead in 8.5 oz. round bottles.

Now, where do I find the right wax sealing stamp?

And should I flavor it will fruit, berries or mulling spices?

Mulling spices. Always.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Been invited to the local lodge's meeting tonight. :dance: I'm excited.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Got an application last night, and even had a MM sign for me already. That's one of three. When they asked how I heard about/what interested me I referenced a "group of friends" that were masons.

I also asked about the goat.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

e. Very little money, I went greek a few years after becoming a Mason and yeah that was fuckoff expensive in comparison.

The number I was quoted seemed kind of steep and in fact may be my biggest barrier to joining right away.

Eta:

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Fees vary. I haven't seen any north of $200, but I don't live in L.A. or Manhattan either.

I was told "$300 to $400," and I live in a smallish town in Washington.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 21, 2013

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Which town? My mother lodge is in Bellingham.

Vancouver. WA Lodge #4

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Can those of us who aren't obliged to Masonic rules bring up the secret stuff? Assuming we don't violate copyright on the monitors, there's no problem, right?

As a person on the path to joining the masons I'd ask you to please not do this. I want things to be a surprise for me and this thread is where I go to feel comfortable talking about it on the internet without worry of spoiling it.

If you're determined I guess you could start a Masonic spoilers thread or something. But again, please not here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Colton posted:

I talked to my wife about this last night and she said that she doesn't mind me wanting to join a social club, she just thinks it's silly because of the requirement that you believe in a supreme being. She thinks that means jesus, and both of us are pagan. I told her i'd investigate how jesus-y it is and she seemed to relax.

We live in portland, so my assumption is that the local lodges would be a lot more accepting of non christians than the lodges in new orleans, which is where we moved from.

Anyone here a portland/ hillsboro area mason? Can you comment on this?

:whatup: oregoon! Still on my personal trek to masonry here on the other side of the Columbia in Vancouver.