Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
This might be abit of a personal question..

But at what age did you decide to join? And how did you found out about the Freemasons in the first place? How did your surrounding (friends, family) react to this?

I am curious about this because the Freemasons aren't really that well known where I come from (Holland), and I know nobody who is a brother. I feel abit hold back to visit a Lodge, as I feel I am abit too young (21) and thus might not be able to contribute much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Indeed, it is a great thing you did Lovable Luciferian.

And everyone, thanks for awnsering my question. I understand it is not much a matter of age, but if you feel "ready".

Keetron; I do not have bought rights to use the PM system. I do have a "spam-mail" adress you could email, if you have the time to email me the details? I am not sure it is already time for me to have a look, I think I still have some reading to do :)

Martin BadClixx fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 27, 2012

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Orillion posted:

What i don't get about regular Masonry is why landmarks cannot be questioned. I mean, freemasonry is about promoting humanist values, isn't it? Isn't it about becoming a better Man (in the human sense), "better" in that case meaning enforcing values of liberty, equality and generosity? Please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm eager to understand.

Then why cannot landmarks such as belief in a higher being and being male be questioned? I know these are considered foundations of freemasonry, but they seem so unrelated to the values freemasonry is promoting. Each time this has been suggested in this thread or in the old one, a blunt refusal has been opposed, without any real explanation (other than "it's the way it is, deal with it", i mean), and i'm having a hard time understanding this. So, could anyone of you gentlegoons explain that to me please?

Thanks in advance.

Here in Europe there are versions of Freemasonry which are female only, male only and mixed. Only the last group calls themself Freemason, but the other organisations are based on the same principles. If you prefer any of the others.. Why not join them? To each its own I guess.

I am not a Freemason myself, but I do have "experience" with boys- and girls-only clubs. Here in at the Dutch universities we have "disputen" which looks abit like the fraternities in the U.S. bit slightly different. These "disputen" also come as sex-specific and mixed. I am in a "boys-only" one, and a good friend of mine in a mixed one. When talking to him about our "dispuut" it seems to be that mine (guys only) is able to talk more openly to eachother and have way less (non actually) drama. Same is with girls-only clubs, they are more open to eachother and have less drama then the mixed clubs.

Men and women are 100% equal, but we are slightly different.. There is no point in denying that. I am pretty sure someone with more knowledge about this subject can explain that too me.

Once again, I am no Freemason nor am I awnsering for them.. I am only talking about what I know of sex-specific clubs.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

This is the best thing. :)

I knew it! Santa is part of the New World Order. And because Santa only shows up with Christmas.. Christmas must be a way to bainwash people!

But for real. I stumbled upon a dutch website yesterday about one of those conspiracy loonies, and there was this guy that was able to link all kind of massmurder and dictators to a global conspiracy.. because they he found pictures of them having their hand inside their jacket like Napoleon always did.

I am pretty sure the same kind of people are able to link Santa to something scary because of that picture.

How do most freemasons deal with this? Did anyone ever ran into angry people when they found out? I mean, I got into a fight last year because I was wearing a shirt with the number '88 on the back of it.. it had to do with the "birthday" of my sportclub. I ran into a guy that thought I was a Nazi, because the 8th letter of the alphabet is a "h". So 88 means "hh" which seems to be a aberration of heil Hitler.

Defuck.